November 26, 2014 | 1789 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Sedatedalice

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Alright, so I'm on my third bottle of this, so yes, I am a believer. This foundation has a lot of pluses! But also some mediocre points.

Pros:
-SUPER long wear
-Excellent,medium to full coverage
-Good color range (I was a fan before they added more shades, but now there is actually one that matches me)
-Doesn't break out my sensitive skin

Cons:
-It will stain everything it gets on to
-It can accentuate your pores without a primer underneath
-It dries pretty fast

So I have rosacea, and I am about as pale as a ghost to boot, so finding a foundation that looks natural, covers my redness, and is kind to my skin is difficult. I also work full time and go to school, so my foundation sometimes has to go untouched for 16-18 hours and look good. I've tried both the high end and drug store, and nothing has DW's staying power. With a touch of powder during the day, it looks nearly as good as it did when I put it on, which to me is pretty amazing. The coverage is also amazing, I can build it from a pretty light coverage on my good skin days to complete full coverage for a special event without a lot of hassle. The right tool to apply this is crucial, though - I like both the Beauty blender sponge (this foundation will stain the crud out of it though) and a good stippling brush (I just got the Real Techniques one, and I like it a lot). I've tried with those triangular sponges, traditional foundation brushes, and flat top powder brushes, and it just doesn't look quite the same. You do have to work with it quickly or it will dry on you, and then you'd better just wash your face and start all over as that's the only way you're going to get it off.

I have large pores, and this will accentuate them a bit if I don't prime underneath. Not a big deal in my world, as no one gets that close to me to see my pores if I forget in the morning.

Overall? I love it. It's been good to me, especially with the expanded color range. I will cry a lot if they ever discontinue this. The only drug store foundation that comes close to this one is the Maybelline 24 hour Foundation, but it breaks me out badly (other than that it's great!).

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 12:42:00 PM More reviews by xoxolindax3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this foundation about 3 years ago and I didn't like it because the color didn't match me and I was new to foundations so I didn't know the right way to apply it So after the last 2 years or so, I tried everything from Clinique, Chanel, Dior, back to Chanel & I couldn't find what I wanted in a foundation. So this year I rediscovered Estee Lauder double wear and I fell in love with it! This foundation matches my skin tone like no other & best of all, it does not change colors and turn me orange. I use this foundation with a beauty blender because it works BEST! It evens out redness & covers acne scarring because it is full coverage. However, in my opinion it's definately not buildable because it will get cakey & you will have to start over. But overall it's a great foundation I'm very happy :)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/1/2013 8:13:00 PM More reviews by Ducky8989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

HATE this product. If you think Revlon Colorstay or Mac Studio Fix are mask-like this is on a whole different level. I found this to be insanely heavy and uncomfortable to wear and just not natural looking. The one pro I will say is that there is an excellent color selection, so finding the right shade should be easy.

Anyway, after trying this I went straight back to my HG which is revlon colorstay. I had only decided to try double wear because I had seen the positive reviews and was curious. Colorstay is a fraction of the cost, and has a much more natural look and feel (just don't use too much). And it also stays put incredibly well, even through swimming in the summer!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2013 6:09:00 PM More reviews by cccchloe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this foundation, the color, the soft focus finish and the extreme durability of it, but every time I wear it during the day, my fiancé has that look on his face like, "woah, that's some heavy makeup she's wearing...". I can tell he doesn't like it because he prefers the no makeup look and although he never says anything, it's just one of those foundations that really LOOKS like makeup. Definitely not natural looking, unfortunately.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2013 5:29:00 PM More reviews by KaMcCre

Really liked the coverage it gave me and the colour was perfect for my skin, but it was way too cakey and heavy on my skin, cannot wear it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2013 4:50:00 PM More reviews by Tindrabell

I have never tried the previous version of this foundation. Instead I've used Lancome Teint Idole, which was also changed and is pretty useless now. I'm so glad that I tried Double Wear! I use a moisturizer and an illuminating primer and then put on DW with My fingers. It gives me a perfect skin without looking powdery, it gives a subtle glow and stays on until the evening. I don't find it difficult to remove, I wash Twice with a cream wash. I don't have a problem with the shades either- 1N2 Ecru is perfect for my fair scandinavian skin!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by shones22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Gives full coverage and lasts all day so perfect for work.My whole family uses this and our old Clinique and Clarins foundations have been binned. The pluses-excellent long lasting coverage. The down side is the rubbish bottle which I end up turning upside down to get the dregs of the foundation out, a pump would be brill! Also it dries very fast so you have to blend very quickly into your face so that it does not look uneven. It can look heavy if you apply slowly and it sinks in to dry patches but if you exfoliate, moisturise and apply fast then it is excellent. Used to apply with my fingers but now use Ubu foundation brush and that does give a more airbrushed look. Used the foundation applied with brush for a family photo shoot on my mum and her skin looked amazing, glowing and flawless. Estée Lauder double wear covers bad marks, scarring and major blemishes. You really would find it hard to identify bad skin wearing this. My family has HHT and this covers some pretty lumpy, raised lesions. It is fab for us but if you have decent skin with few blemishes then I would opt for something else.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by saiwez

I love this foundation I have oily skin with uneven skin tone and just 2/3 blemish marks this is perfect the coverage helps and it's the best thing for oily skins I don't have to powder my face through out the day I finish work and the foundation is still on so it's good for busy people that have oily skin , the only downside is that it doesn't have a pump if it did it would've been my world best foundation I waste so much product, other than it is amazing better than mac studio which WAS my favourite until this baby came into my life ,

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2013 5:29:00 AM More reviews by kristiel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This may be my favorite all time makeup. Great coverage. I love full coverage though and I personally think this feels a little mask like..so that is a small negative. I have super oily skin though and thats when it begins to bother me. If I blot its back to feelin good. I burnt my cheeks in the sun and this foundation is actually full coverage enough that it evened out my whole face to being one even pretty tone. I wish they had more of a color selection..None matched me so I have to add powder bronzer, This is definitely a dupe for revlon colorstay.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2013 9:31:00 AM More reviews by emmak89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'm a little bit torn about this foundation; I'd heard so many good things about it and while it does do all the good things it does have its downsides. Firstly, it does do what it says on the tin! It last all day without (or with very minimal) touchups and also without a primer! The coverage is amazing however it does feel a little bit thick and mask like to me. It's also a nightmare to remove! I quite often have to use a number of different cleansers (followed by toner) before it's fully gone and I still sometimes miss little bits which is obviously bad for skin. Also, the colour match for me isn't the best. I was matched in the shop with 2N1 Desert Beige. My friend, who is lighter skinned than me was matched with the same colour and she feels it's light on her! A little bit of bronzer sorts this out though, and I don't know if this is down to a bad selection or just the Estee Lauder lady in our local Boots not being good at colour matching. It's the first time I've bought it, so if I do get it again I will probably go for the next shade darker. It also needs a pump, I don't know why so many expensive foundations come without one! Overall though, you can't ignore the fact that the coverage is amazing and long lasting, which probably does justify the cost. I'm just not sure if it's the perfect foundation for me.