Smashbox Limitless Lip Stain

3.7

on 4/14/2014 3:58:00 PM

I own Guava and it is a fantastic deep coral/blue/red stain, especially for blondes with blue eyes. If you want a full on, in-your-face, full cover stain, this is it. It is mega pigmented and stays where you put it. The colour will fade off after eating (the interior part of your lip) and after 4-5 hours you might want to just swipe the stain on your lips again for vibrancy. I have managed to wear this for about 6 hours and it still looked the same. It has survived kissing too! I found it doesn't bleed at all, unlike some lip pencils. Also, I like to swipe over a sparkly Chanel lip gloss over this stain for an ultra glam look that lasts. For some reason, it has disappeared from the UK online store *cries* so I am going to start stocking up from elsewhere - I cannot live without this !!

on 1/16/2013 2:59:00 PM

I got this free when I purchased other products that I love. Got the nude shade which looked nice. found it difficult to apply evenly no matter what i did and after a few days of wearing it, my lips got VERY dry.

on 11/27/2012 2:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HG LIP STAIN!
I have used tons of other lip stains, and even though my opinion seemed to be the unpopular one, I still maintain that up to this point, the Revlon Just Bitten stains were the best ones I'd tried. But that was before I discovered the Smashbox Limitless Lip Stain. And wow. Just wow.
The bad parts first because I can get past them quickly: One - the price. Not cool. I get that it's high end, but it's still way too much. Two - the packaging could use some work. I don't like that the balm can't be retracted. That makes me nervous, because in my opinion, it is essential to completing the look.
Now the good: Where do I start? First off, the color (Cinnamon) is GOR-FREAKIN'-GEOUS! One swipe gets you a bright, warm red. Then layer it for a deep, blackened red lip. No feathering (because if it did that would be really dumb), great pigmentation, and a nice, even distribution of color. Top it off with the tinted balm on the other end and you have a nice, velvety, moisturized pout. Love it. I like really layering the heck outta this stuff to get that super dark gothy red lip look.
Second, the staying power is better than any stain I've tried. When it finally does fade, it fades fairly evenly. I obviously don't apply this over a lip balm (because what would be the point in that?) so I make sure my lips are hydrated and exfoliated first, wipe off any traces of lip balm, and immediately apply the stain. After waiting for it to dry, I apply a decent layer of balm and let it be. I've eaten breakfast, lunch, drank three cups of water and two cups of tea and still haven't needed to reapply more than just a tiny bit around the corners of my mouth. None of that weird "Dude, why are your lips bleeding?" business or creepy zombie mouth. Just a pretty brick red pucker.
Oh, and I can smooch for days in this stuff and it won't get on my poor boyfriend who already tolerates way too much of my lip goop addiction as it is. :-)

on 9/16/2012 9:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Easy to use. Love the stain, hate the balm. The balm feels like wax but overall great product.

on 8/15/2012 3:01:00 PM

As another reviewer mentioned, the packaging isn't great. The balm is not retractable, so it can snap off or break easily, and the caps are flimsy. Those are the only drawbacks as far as I'm concerned. I have this in Guava and WOW! Beautiful color that's a bright pop without being obnoxiously distracting - complements almost any coloring. I'm fair with green eyes and blonde hair, my friend is olive-skinned with brown eyes - looks great on both of us. I didn't have to reapply the stain all day, though I did reapply the balm after lunch. It's a good idea to exfoliate before applying the stain part, but the balm really helps hydrate lips and polish the look. Will definitely repurchase this when I'm done. I saw a youtube video that mentioned pairing the Guava stain with Pulse Lip Gloss (which is somewhat purple) for contrasting tones. I love the Guava stain by itself, but I tried this combination, and the Guava + Pulse is unbelievably gorgeous in person!

on 8/10/2012 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

As far as stains go, this has proven to be an absolute winner. The colour (Guava) is bright, flattering, sheer and has GREAT staying power. I wouldn't say 8hrs but it's the only lip stain I have tried that stays on evenly for more than a few hours. It goes on easily and fades evenly. I do have an issue with the packaging - there are two parts to the lid of the pen end, if you lose the inner part you can't close the lid at all, meaning your product will dry out. And the balm is non-retractable so I snapped mine the first couple of days I had it so am having to manually apply. BUT, I think it's still worth it for the quality of the product itself. Be careful with the balm MakeupAlley chicks - once broken it's pretty useless as an on-the-go touch up.

on 7/17/2012 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

- does a nice job
- precision pen applicator
- doesn't dry out lips
- doesn't smear
- doesn't transfer
- does last but not up to 8 hours
- the balm is really buttery and moisturizing slightly pigmented

Great dupe for it at least 3 times cheaper is PERFECT STAY Transferproof Lip Tint & Care by ASTOR

My comparison of two products (Smashbox & Astor) on my blog

on 6/21/2012 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like this product. I have it in Sangria which is a beautiful color. It is easy to apply and lasts all day.

on 3/3/2012 4:30:00 AM

Other than the Josie Maran stains, which j'adore, these are the best out there. The colors are vibrant and pungent and have great staying power. I absolutely love them.

on 1/31/2012 12:41:00 PM

This is a great product that I recommend. It is easy to apply and the shade I own (Guava) is lovely: a really intense but flattering pinky-red. Most importantly it really does last for ages. I'm surprised by others' criticism of the staying-power, as I've found one application easily lasts through a night out, and is normally still very visible the morning after! It can fade more on some areas of the lips, but it's easy to top up, certainly a lot easier than reapplying normal lipstick over a whole day/night.

It is quite drying on the lips, but less so than any other stains I've tried, and the balm definitely helps. But I would say it's prob best as an occasional product - every day use would leave lips in a state. Another plus is that the product doesn't dry up anything like as quickly as other stains (I've had mine over 6 months and it's still going strong). It is expensive, but much better value than one of the many useless lip stains available for half the price.

Recommended for Medium Skin