October 25, 2014 | 1909 users online

Other - Tom's of Maine - tartar control & whitening toothpaste

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2014 3:04:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love Tom's but the formulas and flavors do vary. This one is great in the Spearmint flavor - if you can get it. I much prefer spearmint to peppermint. Not overly abrasive but it is a bit abrasive so ask your dentist if you have "soft" eroded enamel.

Very nice product and a fair price.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2012 3:41:00 AM More reviews by Jexka

I picked this up because tartar control and whitening are the two major things I look for in a toothpaste. My teeth just aren't naturally white, and no matter how much I brush and floss, I get quite a bit of plaque built up in my teeth. I had high hopes for this, and while it wasn't awful, I didn't love it. The consistency was fine -- it foamed up well and left my mouth feeling clean. I felt that the minty taste was a little lackluster and it left a strange aftertaste in my mouth (I have that problem with every "natural" toothpaste I've tried). My main gripe is that this didn't really do anything for my teeth. After using a whole tube, I noticed no whitening benefits and I had the same amount of plaque buildup that I would have had using any other toothpaste. This wasn't the worst toothpaste I've ever used, but I won't be repurchasing this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by caramelkiss19

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My review is for the antiplaque and whitening flouride-free version. I have purchased at least half a dozen times, always prefer to have a coupon of course :) I enjoy the taste and texture and it seems to clean very well without stripping my gums like some other toothpastes do. I originally switched to this paste in search for a sulfate free paste that wouldn't contribute to any additional breakouts around my mouth area. I have found it on vitacost for a fair price , but it is carried by my local walmart as well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2011 5:22:00 PM More reviews by JuicyGirlx33

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This leaves my mouth smelling fresh and it's natural, but like other toothpastes, it doesn't seem to actually whiten.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2011 8:34:00 PM More reviews by Stinaxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

What to say about this stuff that hasn't already been said on here?? It's sooooo good! At first I had the one with fluoride, than I did some research and found that might be the reason my teeth had spots on them. Since using this one without the fluoride, NO SPOTS WHITERTEETH I LOVE IT :D

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2011 10:42:00 AM More reviews by aer0057

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I originally purchased this toothpaste because it DOES NOT contain Flouride. I had previously read some things about Flouride and decided to try a toothpaste not containing this ingredient. I was getting strange bumps on the inner corners of my mouth and after I stopped using flouride toothpaste it went away. It may just be a coincidence but I'll keep using this toothpaste as long they sell it. It tastes pretty good considering it has less chemicals than most toothpaste.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2010 6:38:00 PM More reviews by schultzal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been using this toothpaste for two years, now. I can't think of anything to say about it except that it is fantastic. I love knowing that I'm using an effective, cleansing toothpaste, without essentially eating nasty chemicals.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2010 8:37:00 PM More reviews by myshel

I started using this toothpaste when the more commercial brands became cloying with their taste. I was also getting a ton of canker sores and just needed something different.

This toothpaste does take a while to get used to because the more sugary taste of the more commercial brands is missing. It does a great job of getting my teeth clean, and my teeth are noticeably whiter because of the product.

If you want something a little more natural, this paste might just be for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2009 4:18:00 AM More reviews by tojoyamoto

Great toothpaste! I think this toothpaste is excellent. It leaves my teeth feeling extremely clean. It tastes great, IMO. It foams up very well (I have a sonicare toothbrush). It's extremely cheap. It does remove stains, as promised. It is free of artificial ingredients. The company is cruelty free.
Gripe: I hate the shape of the bottle. The toothpaste is squeezed out the top of the lid-- a terrible design!
The paste is too thin, so when I turn the bottle upside-down to apply to my toothbrush, too much paste pours out. This leads to the product gooping up all over the top of the bottle so I have to peel off the drying toothpaste to get any more out. Also, if the top isn't cleaned often, I can't shut the bottle lid-- and, if the bottle is knocked over with the lid in this condition, product oozes out. Daargh.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2009 2:10:00 PM More reviews by ABC9

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The product does what it promises to do! My teeth are noticeably whiter after a couple weeks of this stuff. I was at Target, choosing between this and Rembrandt and for such less product, Rembrandt toothpastes cost so much more. This was about 2 bucks cheaper. The taste is kinda disgusting once it's in your mouth for too long. At first, it does taste like peppermint but then some chemical taste comes out and it tastes slightly metallic (which I'm guessing is from the fluoride?). My teeth do feel cleaner, but I also think it strips something else out from my mouth and it feels pretty weird after use (like the inside of my cheek and lips). Once I swish with Listerine, though, it's gone.