Gatineau floracil eye makeup remover

3.5

on 1/25/2015 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Ok so this is just an average eye make up remover. It stings my eyes and is filled with fragrance, despite being advertised as being suitable for sensitive skin. It is beyond my understanding why a brand thinks it's a good idea to add fragrance to an eye make up remover to make it smell like flowers. It is because is it called floracil? In French 'fleur' means flower... Are they trying to make us believe that this product has flowers in it? Well, it doesn't! It's just an average formulation with the downside of having fragrance added to it. It doesn't even do a great job, it's just ok. It should cost 5 at most.

P.S- Packaging looks cheap.

on 12/8/2013 4:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

After hearing this described on QVC as a 'classic', with an unchanged formula for 30-odd years I had high expectations. Luckily I only purchased 50ml. It doesn't take off makeup, it smears it around your eyes. It can't even cope with non-waterproof. Plus it smells very old-fashioned, like cold cream. Any supermarket remover is better than this. Maybe it's time for an update after all, Gatineau? EDIT: I purchased from Ebay and so it may have been a fake - check carefully!

As an eye make-up remover this is not up to the job. However, used in a refreshing eye compress it is superb. Eyes feel rested afterwards. As with the Serenite toner, the pump shoots too much product out - you have to get used to placing your cotton wool pad in just the right spot to avoid wasting it.

on 9/12/2011 6:08:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I genuinely thought I had the wrong solution in the bottle when I tried this, just for the fact it didn't take off my eye make up! Honestly seemed to work more like a toner than anything else.
Drug store products do a far better job than this, no competition. :(

on 3/12/2010 9:42:00 PM

this product may be gentle but it doesn't remove eye makeup well at all! Especially when I have more heavy eyes (e.g., smoke) I have to use three or even four pads (per eye) with it in order to get rid of the makeup

i don't like it at all;

on 11/12/2009 9:43:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Sometimes I annoy myself with how gullible I am! I tried this several years ago, as part of a TSV from QVC and was unimpressed, and recently it was the main item (400ml bottle) of TSV again. Foolishly I was convinced by the shows that it was brilliant, so I thought I should give it another go. MISTAKE! I wear quite alot of eye make up and it's just not up to the task, contrary to the sales pitch given on QVC. Both Clarins and Lancome are miles better.

on 2/14/2008 6:29:00 AM

I was very disappointed with this eye make-up remover. I bought it after hearing numerous beauty experts raving about it. I didn't think it removed my make-up well at all. I don't wear water proof mascara so it should be easy to remove but this certainly didn't take it all off. I was left with black smudges around my eyes. I do like the smell and I do like how gentle it feels but it is just not effective enough at removing make-up. For this reason, I wouldn't buy this again

on 8/5/2007 9:45:00 AM

I bought this product based on MUA recommendations - and it is very ordinary. Smells okay, like any budget product I suppose, and doesn't shift makeup at all. I wear contact lenses and the big test for me is if I can leave them in and take off my eye makeup without scrubbing my contact lenses off my eyeballs (sorry for the imagery, people). This failed the test dismally.

on 6/27/2007 9:59:00 PM

This seems foolproof: I love the huge 400ml size, quality strong pump, clear tiffany blue liquid, the cooling feel as I put it on my weary eyes...

However, as a make-up remover, drugstore own brands do a better job! I was hoping for lancome's eye make up remover, with added soothing potential. I don't even wear waterproof mascara or eyeliner- just lancome mascara and also their plain everyday crayon khol. Taking my basic eye make-up off has never been a struggle before. Is this really even a cleanser? It is VERY WEAK!!!

Although it is a brilliant idea to have a huge bottle- I mean, what a chore to have to keep stocking up on pricy brands when this sort of value exists- but the reality is that unless you wear very minimal make-up; i.e just a little bit of mascara, no liner, no eyeshadow, then you'll be frustrated by this slow ineffective product. Not awful, because it does the job (after several rubs and cotton pads soaked in the stuff) and it does feel good when pressed on the eyelid, but not in the same league as Clarins- or especially Lancome. Maybe I was just spoilt because I got used to those 2 brands before moving to this, but I have tried Boots etc, and although own brands felt really oily and yuck, they did a fine job of removing my mascara etc. I think if one must choose between the feel or effectiveness for the sake of saving a few bob- then even though it is tempting to go for this classy looking and lovely feeling product, I'd still reach for the Boots shelf instead.

I need to be able to wash off my make-up fast, no fussing, rubbing, especially no getting the towel mucky! This call is answered by the amazing Estee Lauder Perfectly Clean facewash and then I'd use an equally effective eye- make up remover. Sadly girls, this Gatineau one just ain't it.

on 6/3/2007 3:54:00 PM

I only bought this because the beauty expert on QVC kept raving about it, but in all honesty I still prefer my Clinique one (blue version that you don't have to shake to mix) for getting all eye makeup and mascara off completely.

The reason I tried this is because its safe to leave on the eye and doesn't have to be rinsed off like the Clinique one does. I do find the pump dispenser on the 400ml bottle very handy and it is refreshing to use as an eye compress on cotton wool pads, (the PH balance is supposed to be the same as natural tears.) It takes off light eye makeup fine but I find that colours with dark pigmentation are still difficult to remove and it does still leave a slight smudge of mascara under my eye by morning.