April 17, 2014 | 1350 users online

Lip Treatments - The Body Shop - Lip Butter - Shea

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 9:08:00 PM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm not feeling this at all. I ran out of Burts Bees and got this for free, so figured I'd give it a shot. Like the rest of the Body Shop lineup, this is marketed as a natural line, but a close look at ingredients will tell you otherwise. On top of that, it doesn't work. It left my lips irritated and dry. It left a white sheen/film on my lips. The packaging is a small pot, and I prefer balm sticks. The smell seems artificial and actually makes my face feel hot when I smell it. It seems to really irritate my sensitive skin. I'm going to try it a foot cream or cuticle balm. If that doesn't work I'll just throw it away.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 7:49:00 AM More reviews by fustyluggz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am pretty completely in love with the Shea butter line from The Body Shop. I have two of the regular sized body butters and one of the large tubs in different rooms of my house, I have the body scrub, the shower cream, the body spray and a travel body butter for my purse. I got this on a trip to Ulta and I think it was about $3. My favorite lip balm is Dior Creme de Rose and I doubt that anything will ever change that. I use this primarily before putting on lipstick because it's got a thin texture that makes it easy to apply something over and it gives just enough moisture to help my chronically dry lips get along with lipstick better. The texture is really fantastic and, though it does leave a slight white caste on the lips, I cover it up so that doesn't bother me. I really enjoy this as more of a lip primer than a balm. It's well worth the couple of bucks.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2014 4:40:00 AM More reviews by jealouspony

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

While I like this lip butter for it's moisturizing and soft result, there are a couple of factors that drag down the final score for me.

First of all, I don't like this kind of packaging for lip products. I find them to be very unsanitary and impractical, since the product gets caught under my nails.

Secondly, it leaves a white coat on my lips, even if I just apply a thin layer. That leaves out day use for me, since I don't want to walk around with white lips.

It is however, lovely to use at night. I apply a rather thick layer to my lips before I go to bed and wake up with wonderfully soft lips in the morning. It's been doing wonder for my chapped lips this Winter.

So all in all, I would probably still re-purchase, since I've gotten quite used to having it on my night stand.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by TeHNyboR

Really kind of disappointed with this product. I'd use it before I put my makeup on to soften up my lips and get them ready for lipstick, but I feel like it didn't do that great of a job moisturizing and it accentuated lip flakes. It gave me lip flakes I didn't even know I had! Now I use it strictly before bed. Don't think I'll be repurchasing.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 9:50:00 AM More reviews by RosePeacock

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Hmm. It's not great. A few years ago I used every last scrap of the Pink Grapefruit Lip Butter and really liked it. I remember it had a delicious scent and was creamy and moisturising. This one however doesn't match up. It feels thinner and I need to apply quite a lot before I get the moisture I need, and by that point it's looking very white and milky!

Eh. I'll use it up before bed I suppose. I wouldn't buy again.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by schoolgirl101

Like other reviews, this product leaves an unattractive white cast on the lips. The scent smells amazing but a foul taste lingers into my mouth when I wear this, one of the main reasons why I don't like this.

I do like the formula and how slick this feels, and I'm interested in trying a different scent, but the shea butter scent DOES NOT work for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2013 3:50:00 PM More reviews by itstotallybea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

People seem to be really harsh towards this product but I suppose it depends on what you want from it and when you use it.
I have a few of the other lip butters and loved them for years and I got this one as like an intensive night 'treatment' for my lips, I put a good deal on at night, sometimes a few times because I love the feel of it so much, and leave it. It is sticky for a while but it's not unpleasant and it has completely cleared up any dryness in my lips which is something I do have issues with. However as other people have said it is very white on the lips and therefore not really something to be applying absent mindedly throughout the day - I recommend people make this a nightly thing, worked for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/24/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by aislinyay

Its scent is so pleasant, but I think that's about everything I like about this product. It does nothing to my lips. I have chapped lips, and I would put this on A LOT before bed like the seller told me to, but even so it doesn't improve anything. It's a little too thick to use as a lip moisturizer during the day because it makes my lips look "faded" and the white cream that get stuck in the gaps of my chapped lips make it looks very...weird.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/25/2013 5:26:00 AM More reviews by NicoleTMY

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This has a really nice scent, The texture is buttery like. As for the actual product, it does not moisturize or relief dry lips immediately, I did not use this much. I am interested though to try out the other flavours.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2013 2:29:00 AM More reviews by Saibachick

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I see a lot of people say this product or The Body Shop Lip Butters in particular dry their lips out instead of moisturize. I'm one of the ones where it does the exact opposite. These lip butters are the only thing that moisturizes my lips the best out of any lip moisturizer I've used. I don't have particularly dry lips in the first place and they can be easily moisturized however, so keep that in mind.

They all smell heavenly also. The Shea Butter smells like some kind of icing or lovely baked food, it just smells sooooo good!

Pros-
1.) My lips seem to drink it this product up. It keeps my lips moisturized all night and I get a small amount of plumping because my lips are very moisturized for it.
2.) They last a very long time as you don't have to use much product.

Cons-
1.) This one I would recommend for night as it has a white caste that is VERY obvious and noticeable. There really isn't a way to tone that down unless you use very little product.
2.) If you're the type that doesn't like dipping their fingers into a product that's another negative.
3.) I also feel the price is somewhat steep for such a small amount of product. However, The Body Shop does frequent sales such as buy 3 get 3 free which is basically half off every product you buy so then it's $3 instead of $6 so a much better price.

Now I have more cons than pros but this product is a winner for me.

Overall I give this a 4 out of 5.