July 26, 2014 | 1088 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Spellbound

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2013 12:52:00 AM More reviews by Shanplum

This is one of my most favourite fragrances of a time however I could never wear it myself I had the big 100ml when I was 18, Whenever I wore it I got "why does it smell like the dentist in here" or "have you been to the dentist" its the cloves in it - sadly they overshadow all other notes on my skin I had the same thing with KL.. until now that is... I recently purchased a vintage bottle of the eau de parfum and the parfum and surprising this is now different on my skin, perhaps its an age thing, maybe I was wearing too much previously or I had a newer batch but this is now totally different on my chemistry warm, slightly spicy a bit cool too (like Knowing another hot/cold fragrance) perhaps I had to age a bit to be able to wear it now almost a decade later it seems to work on me my chemistry is now no longer getting along with the florals I used to wear and I seem to suit the heavier spicier orientals a-la Opium, White Diamonds, Obsession etc. I would like to give KL another go as I reckon it might wear well on me now also.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2012 5:42:00 PM More reviews by RobinMaryAgnes

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Nice clove smell unique, fragrence doesn't change as it drys down.. This I like about Lauder frgrence.. the smell doesn't change as it fades, just gets lighter

I would buy this if it weren't for the 55 and up price tag.

If anyone has a good dupe, let me know

Wish I could find this at a garage sale..I am on a super budget.

Unique smell, not for everyone, nice its not a fruity fgrnce.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2012 4:31:00 PM More reviews by Sheney16

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm a bit surprised by some of these comments. Has nobody ever heard of the fact that fragrances smell different when they react to the oils on different skins?
I am one of those people who get regular unasked for compliments (one just the other day from a guy half my age) about my perfume and I can tell you that, on me, it smells absolutely nothing like Poison or Tabu as has been suggested. In fact Tabu is my mother's favourite fragrance and yet I find it repulsive, far too strong and artificial compared to Spellbound. I also don't like Poison's sickly sweetness and I've had other people who say they hate Poison who have complimented me on my perfume.
The only complaint I have about SB is that, because it's quite rare, it's never on promotion or comes in a Gift set. Because of that, for a while I used other cheaper perfumes - until my teenage children complained that I didn't 'smell like me' anymore. I only wish I could find a similar smelling fragrance that was more affordable but so far I haven't come across anything that smells like SB - not on me, anyway.
Obviously it's one of those scents that doesn't suit everyone so I would recommend trying a sample for a few hours but I hope no one is put off by the 'it smells like ---' comments because it doesn't, not to everyone. To me, and those that smell it on me (I'm told), it smells warm, rich and sensual - intense yet soft and subtle at the same time. Clearly though, on some peoples skin it has a different effect but I think, and this is probably true of most perfumes, this has much more to do with the wearer than the perfume itself

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2012 12:14:00 PM More reviews by thomasania

This is by far one of my favorite fragrances. I love almost all EL scents with the exception of Pleasures. This perfume is very strong with a rich oriental scent. I do agree with the other reviewers that one would need to go lightly with this one. It has a strong lasting power and if you accidentally spray it in your clothes you will need to wash them or it may over power your fragrance off the day. I have received lots of compliments while wearing this and this is my second bottle so I know I would re buy it if I ran out again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2011 12:06:00 AM More reviews by Tamahawk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

This is absolutely one of my favorite fragrances in the world!

Back in 2004, I was in my early twenties and was a counter manager for Estee Lauder. Of course, all of my friends were ooo-ing and ahhh-ing over "younger" fragrances, such as Escada, Be Delicious, etc., and Spellbound is considered not new and was considered an "older" person fragrance. So, I would secretly go spray myself with some Spellbound and would be smelling my wrists all day and getting compliments from men and women alike!

Now, I am in my early 30s... I know what smells good, and I don't need to wear what everyone is wearing! This is my main fall fragrance. My nose smells a hint of a sweet orange, clove, cinnamon, and vanilla; I personally think it is a spicy gourmand.

I could just imagine a alluring French woman in Moulin Rouge wearing this... Vintage and very sexy. :-)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/18/2011 2:57:00 PM More reviews by troodos

I have really started to appreciate the beauty of Lauder frags but oh dear! Spurred in by reviews I bought this...smells just to big and floral and 80s to me, even though I think it was 1991. Felt self conscious in it and concerned it was offensive to others. Took it back. And this is from someone who loves youth dew! However that to me seems to have a distinctive character, spellbound in contrast is an in your face perfume assault. Each to their own, eh?

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2010 5:06:00 AM More reviews by baronesserl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

After all the good reviews here, I went to the Lauder counter to try it...i can't tell you how disappointed I am. This is so awful. A disgusting, heavy scent with way too much incense.To me it smells cheap and vulgar.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2010 3:09:00 PM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my favourite EL fragrance after Youth Dew. Spellbound starts out lush, deep and smokey like the incense-smoke filled air of my favourite occult shop. Cloves and carnations. It melds beautifully with my body chemistry. Over the course of the day, it transforms to a clean chypre that stays close to the skin. Men always stop me to ask what fragrance I am wearing and I always receive compliments galore.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2009 5:09:00 PM More reviews by PenelopePitstopKYD

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

One of my fall/winter favorites to warm up a cold day. A beautifully strong (but not overpowering) fragrance. Woodsy and oriental - awesome!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2009 6:27:00 PM More reviews by isonbeatrice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am unashamed to say that to my nose, this perfume is a major fail. To me, many Lauder perfumes smell the same: powdery, aggressive florals that force their way down your throat and induce nausea. I put one TINY spritz on the inside of my forearm and the florals soon snaked out of my sleeve and around my whole body. I realize that for some people this is lovely, just not me.