July 29, 2014 | 1887 users online

Deodorants - Desert Essence - Desert Essence Dry By Nature Deodorant

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2013 10:04:00 AM More reviews by Sammyjo2512

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried this deodorant and a few days later it caused my skin to flake. I had really high hopes for this because I was looking for a cruelty free deodorant. It smell good but it burned me. My underarms hurt so bad. I am still willing to try their other products just not their deodorant.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/19/2011 4:54:00 PM More reviews by opiumfield

My 1 star here is only due to my personal reaction to this deodorant. I believe it might be a good deodorant for others.
I love Dessert Essence and wanted to like this product as well, since it is natural and has pleasant light smell. But when I started using it my armpits got terrible irritation! Like terrible painful pimples or something! I hardly could move. I thought its something because of shaving. But I stopped using this deodorant and it went away completely! I don't know what could cause such severe reaction on this deodorant but I just think it is plain wrong with product that supposed to be super gentle and natural...

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2010 12:13:00 AM More reviews by redorb1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had tried Kiss My Face Active Enzyme deodorant which was absolutely awful. While at work one day, after using Kiss My Face and ending up, yet again, with bad b.o., I decided to stop at whole Foods on my lunch hour to pick up an alternative. Desert Essence was actually the cheapest ounce for ounce. I didn't expect much, since I already smelled, but as soon as I used it, the odor disappeared. It lasted all day. After work, I went for a long walk in 90 degree heat, and believe it or not, when I got home, the deodorant was STILL working!

My only concern about this product is the Propylene Glycol. Although the FDA has deemed it safe, there is some controversy over the safety of this ingredient. This is why I did not give it a 5 rating.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2008 3:38:00 AM More reviews by cdubinlondon

I stopped wear toxic deodorant years ago. My favorites are this one and the trader joes unscented cotton deodorant, but this one smells great compared to the unscented trader joes. I often get compliments on my fragrance, and people are surprised when I tell them it is my hippie deodorant!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2007 6:45:00 PM More reviews by danerly

After learning about all the scary things in most deodorants and about the importance of allowing your body to sweat to rid itself of toxins, I went on the quest for a good natural deodorant... I tried several, all of which smelled nice but left me with sweaty pits halfway through the day, and some of which left me stinky by the end of the day too. Dry By Nature, by Desert Essence, is by far the best all-natural deodorant that I've tried. Not only does it keep me from smelling, it also keeps me pretty dry -- as much as "normal" deodorants used to. It has a nice, subtle scent that would be appropriate for men or women. The scent is barely noticeable if you're not sniffing your armpits. :) I would highly recommend this product to others who are interested in using organic products that are healthier for your body. However, for those who sweat profusely, this might not keep you as dry as the really super strong products out there (that are very bad for you!)

rated 2 of 5 on 12/9/2006 10:23:00 PM More reviews by DreamWavez

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This surprising works pretty well at both keeping me dry and odorless. So far I've just used it for day to day things, so I haven't exerted myself too much to cause a sweat...but it's really held up well. I'll keep using this for most days, it's definitely better than most other natural deodorants, so I'd try this one first if you don't mind the propylene glycol (sp?).

UPDATE: I wanted to like this, but after using it for awhile, IT STINKS! It smells horrible... on to the next I guess.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2006 12:25:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

I was surprised that a "natural", aluminum-free deodorant could be as effective as my usual Dove in keeping me dry and odorless, but this one is! It is a clearish gel-like formula that feels a bit little tacky immediately after applying, but dries fine and doesn't feel weird or sticky. The scent is great--light, fresh and completely unobtrusive. The one thing I didn't like was that the top of the "stick" is not rounded, so that you end up rubbing sharp edges into your underarms when you first begin using this--not fun. This does seem to keep me dry all day, but then, it's only April and I'll have to update when the horrible summer weather rolls around. It's more expensive than normal deodorant (around 6-7 USD, though there also seems to be more product than usual), but if you're wary about aluminum, it's really a small price to pay. So far, I'm quite pleased.

From the package:

"Desert Essence Dry By Nature's effective deodorant protection comes not from aluminum salts, but from an exclusive blend of pure botanical oils. Used daily, the soothing stick inhibits wetness and neutralizes odor with healthy, fresh-scented essential oils of Camomile and Calendula."

No animal ingredients or testing.

No alcohol, artificial color or synthetic perfumes.

Ingredients: Propylene Glycol, Purified Water, Sodium Stearate, Cocamide DEA, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Neem Oil, Camomile Matricaria Extract, Calendula Extract, Witch Hazel Extract, Lechen Extract, Sodium Borate

ETA: Okay, I knocked a lippie off b/c I definitely feel a little sweaty at the end of a warm day or if I'm doing anything more than taking a slow stroll down the street. But I'll continue to use this as I think the health benefits outweigh the slight inconvenience (anyway, even regular antiperspirant wouldn't keep me dry all day or on really super-hot days). continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2006 9:33:00 AM More reviews by xtinaxtina

I like natural, aluminum-free deodorants & the one I had been using began to seem less effective, if you know what I mean. I picked this up last week & it's really great. It has very little scent, goes on very dry so it doesn't get on my clothes, & really works. It does seem to keep me dry (which I don't really care about) & as well as smell-free. I don't know if it's always this way, but the one I got was a larger size than most deodorants, so I feel like I'm getting a lot for my money. I'll update if my feelings on this change when summer rolls around.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2003 6:59:00 PM More reviews by arvi

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This deodorant works well for me. It has with Chamomile and Calendula essential oils,and is mildly scented. I use it on days I don't expect to be highly active, and it keeps me feeling fresh.