July 23, 2014 | 2116 users online

Liquid - Alison Raffaele - Reality Base

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2010 1:20:00 AM More reviews by orchidmyst

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a review for the new version of this foundation in the red pump bottle. This foundation is really light yet provides medium coverage and is buildable. In my opinion, I think you can use it without a primer. After applying it on, my face doesn't feel like there's a mask on and I can't even feel it. I like that the new version has many skin benefits and doesn't cause breakouts for me. Appearance wise, it seems to give a semi-matte look, which is what I prefer. It also does not dry out my skin or emphasize my dry patches, so in my opinion this is an excellent foundation. My only problem is with the color. Alison Raffaele only comes out with foundations with neutral/golden undertones. If only she came out with foundation with pink undertones as well. Personally, the shade is a bit off for me but apart from the color problem, everything is perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2009 4:59:00 PM More reviews by shinegirl

First let me say ..."WOW"!! I love this stuff. I was getting really tired of using mineral makeup. I have really dry and sensitive skin and the mineral makeup would either make me itch (Bare Essentuals) or make me look like I have wrinkles (Lauress) and I am 23. I do not have wrinkles. I am a huge natural skin care girl. It is really important to me beacause I want to treat my skin with all the care and love I can. I have a lifetime to live in it, so why not. I am also really stricked about not purchasing products that will harm animals or the planet. So.. I always do a lot of research on a company before I buy anything. Alison Raffael has completely transformed her cosmetic line. No animal testing, for every tree used she plans a new one, every one of the containers are 80% post consumer waste and her manufaturing facilitys are powered by wind. The products contain no Mineral oil, no Gluten and no Parabens (which they have liked to Breast Cancer). But.. one of the best parts is that her Products are great!! I can't say enough about them. I have very fair skin. My husband says that I reflect the sun I am so pale. I have a very hard time finding a light foundation that is good for me and doesn't contain any pink undertones. I have neutral skintone with a deffinate golden undertone. Her foundation and concealer matches perfectly, and they have great coverage. YAAYYY.. I love it!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2008 4:45:00 PM More reviews by starladear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product. It is wonderfully buildable, and the lightest shade is pale enough for my pale face (not easy to find). To me, the buildability of this product makes me want to describe it as a "thinner" version of Laura Mercier's oil-free foundation, which I also love. Lately, I have been going back and forth between both products, I suppose for that reason. I have very bad hyper-pigmentation on a few areas of my face, which is so hard to cover, since I am really pale. I usually give a coat of this to my whole face, and then re-touch the darker areas of my face with another coat (using Laura Mercier's power concealer brush). Great stuff!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2008 12:48:00 AM More reviews by sarahlovesmakeup

I just received sample foundations from her newly relaunched all natural reality base foundation. I wore it on half of my face & Face Atelier (one of the most talked about foundations around) on the other half and asked 8 of my friends at dinner which one they liked the best and they pointed to the Alison Raffeale side, stating it looked like healthy bare skin. I felt that it was fresh and matte at the same time and works well for oily skinned people like myself- a light to moderate coverage. Face Atelier was smooth and satiny but perhaps better for drier skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2007 6:31:00 PM More reviews by Jitney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

***04/01/14: Edited to reflect newly acquired writing "skills" thanks to age and education. I originally wrote most of my MUA reviews as a teen. :)
This is my favorite foundation. I normally don't wear foundation unless I'm going out or having a bad skin week. Highly buildable, so you can start from sheer coverage and end up with full. However, no matter how much of this foundation you apply, you will not sacrifice a clean look and feel. While this foundation is water-based, there's some type of superfine magical silicone that makes it glide on smoothly, without balling off like most thick silicones do. Matte finish, but after the first minute of application it dries down to semi-matte finish. Most of the mattifying foundations I've tried gives me (or clients I've worked on) ghastly, dead pancake geisha texture, but this looks like skin. It is oil-free, water-based, water-resistant, fragrance-free, and hypo-allergenic.
It feels clean and fresh from the second you apply it until the end of your day. Perfect for those who have to run around all the time, performers, moms (quick application), oily/acne-prone/sensitive skin, etc. **Note that this review is for the original DISCONTINUED Reality Base in the clear glass bottles pictured above, NOT the Reality Base curently being sold in the red/purple pump plastic bottles.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2007 8:53:00 PM More reviews by momof3blonds

I have combination/oily skin that has acne scars. I am very fair and often can't find a foundation light enough for me. I initially read about this product in a catalog and was able to try it at Sephora (which has since discontinued carrying it). I am a #2 shade and use it with the transparent finish powder. I LOVE this stuff. It doesn't leave me shiny and looks very natural while still covering and not being cakey. The powder make me look glowing as well. Since you can now order this online I will continue to use this wonderful product!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2007 6:26:00 PM More reviews by memepunk

SO many problems with this foundation. First, the color range is ridiculously narrow (only five shades to choose from), so I actually had to buy two shades and blend them to get something to match my skin.

Second, the watery formula separates, which is not too much of a problem, but it requires an insane amount of vigorous shaking to get it remixed, and even then it still looks streaky inside the bottle. I couldn't ever be sure I'd gotten it fully mixed up.

Third, considering that that second and third ingredients on the list are silicones (for slip), how is it possible for this foundation to be so unblendable? I tried it every which way--with fingers, with a dry sponge, with a damp sponge--and nothing would smooth this evenly into my skin. I tried it over bare skin, over primers, and over lightweight moisturizers and sunscreens, and it was never blendable and always left my face looking chalky and feeling greasy/sticky.

Fourth, there is no middle range of coverage, no matter how carefully you build it up. The level of coverage is either so light that it verges on invisible or so heavy that it sinks into every pore and fine line and makes me look ten years older than I am.

Fifth, this is water-based and full of ingredients that should absorb oil and minimize the look of oily skin. But it doesn't. My face was shiny within half an hour of application, even with a generous dusting of powder.

I wanted so much to like this foundation because the formulation looked ideal for my skin (in theory only, as I discovered), but it was a huge and expensive disappoinment.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2007 9:24:00 PM More reviews by jamejame

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like this. It's light in coverage, but evens out my skintone very nicely. Lasts all day with just a pats of MAC Blot. Looks very natural and goes on like a dream. I'm surprised by the bad reviews. I don't find anything to dislike at all. It didn't settle into lines or pores, and I find it great on my aging skin. I'd recommend it without reservation.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2007 8:14:00 PM More reviews by chrissa

Ew. No. Gross. No other way to sum it up, really. Chunky and fibery (WTH???) and it doesn't blend into the skin. I don't care how carefully you blend it or try to apply! I loved her lip gloss. I'll never use her face makeup.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2006 8:01:00 AM More reviews by amy212

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I like this foundation, esp with my lluminari (sp) sponge - a a must have a for any liquid foundation. I did not wear this much before the sponge - the old fashioned glass bottle is a PAIN and it is super easy to use waaay too much!!! But with my lluminari sponge (cost 10 bucks - well worth it) The founation went on smoothly and evenly with great even converage - I remember why I bought it in the first place!!!! I don't think I will keep using it all over my face every day (trublend is my everyday hg) but for special needs and i will use this, and if i ever go though the bottle (you only need a teeny bit) I will buy again. I also use this as a concealer and for that it is great, esp around the eyes and nose, mine gets SUPER RED FROM ALLERGIES and concealing here is more than half my battle.