Dior Miss Dior

on 6/30/2015 8:41:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I love vintage perfumes, especially chypres and leathers. I have far too large a collection, but there was a Miss Dior-shaped hole in it. I'm a little surprised at myself that it took so long to get it, as much as I love Cabochard, Y, Azuree, Givenchy III...you get the picture.
This absence dates back to around 2000, when I first seriously started collecting and wearing vintages. I tried a huge spray of Miss Dior (before there were any Cheries or other flankers - this was IT) and recoiled. It was far too much of everything that my poor ignorant nose knew nothing of: oakmoss, bergamot, leather, powder-florals, patchouli - what can seem dated, and at the time that is the only aspect I saw of Miss Dior.
Last week I tried the current version, just to see - now called Miss Dior Originale. Wow. Even in its current formulation, what I now got was beautiful spare sophistication - filling my imagination with a sense of absolute elegance. When you take the lens of time and fashion from these older scents and experience them on their own terms, they have so much to give.
I'm now the lucky owner of a stunning vintage Miss Dior edt from the 80s - a new favourite piece of art in my collection.

on 5/28/2015 3:58:00 PM

This is one of my favourite perfumes. To me, it feels like the perfect middle ground for young but still sophisticated. To me, it smells a bit on the sweet side but not in an overpowering way at all like some strong vanilla perfumes out there. I always get compliments on this when I put it on and I actually love the scent at the end of the day just as much as when I first put it on. If you are looking for a sweet, but crisp, and young yet sophisticated scent, go pick up a sample from Sephora to test it out!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

(I have the 2012 reformulation) I only get mandarin orange and patchouli from this. It's on the sweet side, the artificial kind of sweet. Secretly, I was hoping for a more zesty citrus instead of the sweet one, which smells slightly fermented.

Still, I don't dislike this perfume. The scent itself is nice. I would have liked it better had it been a little bit more brighter and lighter. It's too cloyingly sweet for me now. This is fitted for cold spring days and winter time.

This perfume sticks around for a really long time. If I spray this in my inner elbows I'll still be able to smell it over 16 hours later. Miss Dior does not fill up and take over a room (unless you overspray by A LOT), it sits rather close to the skin. Had it been less sweet then this would definitely have been a love.

on 9/18/2014 4:22:00 PM

I am not sure where this review should go : the closest modern rendition I believe is now called miss dior original.

This review is for the original Miss Dior vintage eau de cologne houndstooth bottle splash formulation with the houndstooth cap, not the white one. It's an animal floral leather chypre. An acquired taste if you are formerly only familiar with modern chypre.

Bergamot, neroli, Galbanum, clary sage, gardenia
Aldehydes, rose, jasmine, ylang, orris, carnation, LOTV, narcissus/daffodil
Oakmoss, sandalwood, vanilla, laudanum, leather, amber, patchouli, vetiver

I listed the notes in comparison to Vol de Nuit composition, see my avon bird of paradise vintage review.

There is a spray bottle from the 1980s that is clear and fluted and has a metal cap. Sometimes the sprays are spoiled on the top notes, so I prefer splash.

Compared to vintage azuree and aliage, miss dior is subtle and melds into my skin. But it can only be called subtle relative to those two powerhouses.

It is also extremely animalic, so I find it almost funny that this scent was originally geared towards a debutante demographic and that, despite a resurgence of interest in Piguets Bandit, that people still characterize this type of fragrance as old lady.

To me, it's aggressive, modern, original and could be easily mistaken for a niche brand. In fact, when I tried roja doves Fetish, a few weeks ago, I was reminded of old school chypre like Azuree or miss Dior.

I would want to give this 3.5 if that rating were available. 3 because I don't see myself wearing this often. If your bottle is overtly fusty, musty, dank, or dark in color, consider whether it may have spoiled or oxidized with exposure to light or heat.

on 8/31/2014 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love this perfume. I really, really do. This is what comes to mind when I think luxurious French perfume. It smells clean, powerful, and beautiful. I have read the many lamentations of the much-loved Miss Cherie Dior from 2005. I own that perfume as well and can honestly say that I prefer this one. Don't get me wrong, I still like the previous one, but this is the more sophisticated and refined sister. Upon initial spritz I smell something reminiscent of Elizabeth Arden's Sunflowers. Just for like a minute or two. And I'm not a fan of that perfume. After a moment I'm enveloped in a gorgeous patchouli/citrus harmony with a kiss of floral. Not flowery, just a perect blend of earthy and clean. As the perfume dries down, it becomes a more masculine patchouli scent that could easily be worn by men. Maybe that's why I love this fragrance so much. It's feminine and masculine which keeps me from getting bored. I think this one will be a classic and can see myself wearing this for years to come. Plus it has amazing lasting power especially for a toilette. Well done, Dior.

on 6/30/2014 9:44:00 AM

I'm writing this after trying a sample of Miss Dior eau de toilette. I am not familiar with the old version and I don't know what's in this scent (except the pachouli), but I was surprised that I liked it. I'm usually not a fan of pachouli but in this fragrance, I'm OK with it. This comes on strong when you first spray it on but then it settles down into a lovely fragrance. This is very long-lasting. I put it on in the afternoon and could still smell it the next morning. After it's on a while, it's sweet (but not too) and feminine. I'm not putting an "age group" to it, because I think anyone can wear it. I might not purchase this, however, because it's rather expensive.

on 2/14/2014 9:08:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

This review is for Miss Dior EDP. I've been searching for a special perfume for a long time now. I own lots of different fragrances including Valentina, Jimmy Choo, Flowerbomb, Chanel No 5 and Coco, all of which are lovely but somehow not special enough for me to call 'the one'. Yesterday I walked into a perfume shop and sprayed about a dozen different scents onto tester strips writing the name of the fragrance on each one. This morning I took them out of my bag and did several blind tests. The perfume that stood out the most was Miss Dior.
This fragrance is stunningly beautiful. Without question the loveliest perfume I've ever tried. A sophisticated, gorgeous aroma. Love it.

on 1/5/2014 6:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This seems very weak. Not even sure what it is about it. I usually HATE patchouli but I don't sense it much even though its the main scent. I smell mostly musky with a hint of rose & orange. I really am not impressed at all.
It just seems to lack anything solid. I will go on to try the original if I can. It doesn't smell strong which is a plus to me but it seems to be more soft like a cologne or body spray?

on 12/31/2013 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a lovely scent but I don't think it's my favorite or the most interesting one out there. Like a lot of other people have already said, it's a young but classy scent. It's a mix of citris and (more faintly) flowers, so it smells more light and refreshing than it does sweet or sugary. It's quite strong (1-2 spritz is more than enough!) and lasts for the majority of the day when I spray it into my hair and around my neck area.

The packaging is SUPER cute, it's a clear, square spritz bottle with a glass bow on top. This leans on the pricier side, but it IS Dior so that's not surprising.

NOTE: I think the dry down tends to lean powdery on me, so I don't think it's the best scent for my particular body chemistry. You may have a different experience.

on 10/2/2013 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This perfume is a treat. Intricate and enchanting it draws you in and as the hours pass it just melts into your skin and changes subtly with your chemistry. Its expensive there is no way around it but 2 squirts go a long way. I plan on buying this for years to come. It smells so amazing.

Popular Fragrances