Paul Mitchell sculpting foam

4.3

Not tested on animals

on 2/26/2015 6:50:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have 2c, coarse, low porosity, normal elasticity and low-med density hair.

This gives my waves great definition, nice body and shine. It doesn't give my root as much lift as Suave, though it still does give my hair a good volume. But on the flipside, the shine I get from this product is insane and the definition is as great. I find my waves get a bit tighter with this in comparison to Suave. So I found this great to use in high humidity and temperature.
The mousse also doesn't dry crunchy nor does it make my waves look wet. You can use too much and makes your hair dries slightly crunchy, but a bit fluffing at the roots and/or a dab of oil resolves the issue.
This foam makes my wave bouncy, defined, soft and shiny.

This foam is CG-friendly with water soluble -cones and polyquats. Some hair may easily experience buildup with the latter, but clarifying will fix it easily. I personally don't have much problem with it.

I love that Paul Mitchell is available around the world. So, should I move somewhere else in the coming years, I know that I can still find it.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have tried a lot of products but this blew me away!
I first applied the shea moisture curl and style milk and then applied generous amounts of this mousse but my curls have never looked better. The mousse doesnt dry out my hair and keeps it shiny and curly all throughout the day. Definately buying it again

on 6/22/2014 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love this foam......its better than any i have tried, when I do my hair curley this is what I use
gives lots of volume and body, my hair is on the fine side...great for curley girls.

on 4/18/2014 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Love it. I have fairly thick hair (that I get thinned by my hairstylist) that is slightly to moderately wavy (more wavy in the back, annoyingly straight on one side). I like to use this (and mousse in general) as a scrunching product to tighten and hold my waves.

In the morning, I take a flat brush, soak in water, and brush through my (dry) hair until it's damp (not soaking but not dry). Then I squirt about half an egg-size dollop of this stuff in my hand and scrunch my hair from the ends up. I let it dry and voila! Instantly more "put together" and less "I just got out of bed."

*Note: This stuff doesn't come out like fluffy mousse, if you're used to volumizing mousses that sit in a stiff pile on your hand. It comes out runny--almost to the point you may think something's wrong with the bottle you got. But once you get used to this, no biggie. I think it may have to do with the fact that it's more conditioning, less volumizing.

I love the smell--it's almost coconutty without being cloying. It actually reminds me of when my mom used to take us to Fantastic Sam's as a kid to get haircuts before picture day at school. I like it!

But what I love most is the feel of my hair when I use it...as long as I don't put too much or don't accidentally put it on dry sections of hair, it's not crunchy like most mousses. It's very soft and almost makes it look like "This is just what I look like when I wake up every day." Doesn't look product-y. Doesn't weigh my hair down--stays very bouncy. And it lasts pretty much all day, hold-wise.

My old go-to was Tresemme (the heat mousse with the red cap), which is obviously more affordable since I run out of mousse about once a month or two, but when I can afford this again I'll definitely repurchase. Makes my hair look and feel great, and no gunky build-up.

My one and ONLY complaint is about the packaging (and I hate when people downgrade a product's entire rating for a packaging issue, so I didn't take off any lippies for this)...The first week I had this, I dropped it and the cap cracked. It worked ok for a while still, but then last week I dropped it again (I'm clumsy) and the whole dang spray nozzle came all the way off. Now, I have to hold it on with both fingers to get any to come out, which is kind of a pain for a $25 hair product :( Wish the packaging was a bit sturdier...Also wish this came in travel size!

----
Edit: I'm now at the end of this bottle and it seems to dry crunchier. I saw some photos of when I had this in and my hair looked frizzy and dirty. I've gone back to Organix curl cream for scrunching/styling my loose waves, which feels more hydrating and looks more natural. Not impressed with many PM products I've tried since, either.

on 2/23/2014 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a truly wonderful mousse. It conditions, just like it says, and so it leaves my hair wavy, bouncy, and soft. It is flexible and brushable. I'd definitely re-purchase.

on 1/9/2014 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

The Sculpting Foam is excellent for setting wet, freshly washed hair on rollers and for wrapping hair also. Using this product cuts some of the time from sitting under the dryer also as it dries fairly quicker in hair than setting lotions will. This isn't really crispy and crunchy in the hair either nor is it flaky and messy.

Quite nice actually but pricey as only salons sell it.

on 4/18/2013 7:01:00 AM

This is a curly haired fave. But with my uber fine waves that I encourage into curls, this is just too much for me. It does feel nice and smell wonderful. But it is just too heavy for my fine locks and ends up weighing everything down. Now, my DH who has coarse, tight curly hair, loves this stuff. He has gone through cans and cans of it. The scent is just a nice coconut, not too girly. He loves the moisture and heft to smooth his hair down & take out fuzzies. So if you have tight curls and/or very thick coarse hair, you probably love this. If you are fine haired...probably going to be too much.

on 4/17/2013 3:00:00 PM

I was disappointed with this product. My hair is fine and wavy but thick. I wanted something to help with styling and to keep the body in my hair that I have. This product made my hair limp the next day and I felt it needed washing with a clarifying shampoo. I only used a golf ball sized amount for my whole head so it wasn't overused. It also seemed to make my hair dull instead of shiny. I guess there is no mousse that will ever work in my hair. I have yet to find a product to help hold the style yet not weigh the hair down. Any suggestions are welcome!
My styling method is blow-drying.

on 11/29/2012 8:28:00 PM

I really love this product. It is very versatile. Any hair type texture or color. It's conditioning and has a yummy coconut scent that's not too over bearing. I use this on all my clients as well as myself. It's amazing. I can sell these like no other. No crunch, no stiffness. It's a leave in conditioning foam. :) try it!

on 9/26/2012 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Its my first mousse and I totally love it. Here is how I use:-
1. When I am going to blow dry my hair straight(I m a cg)- I apply four golf ball size mousse to my entire head working in sections (I have thick hair). Then I finger comb it gently. Apply a heat protectant(Either redken glide or TIGI control freak), I start blowdrying my hair in setions. The end result is spectacular with frizz free sleek straight with lots of body and shine hair till the next wash. Yay!!! I can totally tell the difference if I had not used it prior to blow drying.
2. When I am wearing it curly:- I section my hair into 4 parts. Saturate my hair with mousse with 4 pumps and then leave it for 2 min. I again section my hair(now small so 7-8), then apply Ouidad Heat and Humidity Climate Control Gel. I then finger comb my entire head to distribute the products). Here is the most imp part- starting from the nape of my head I roughly take 1'' section n start twisting my hair. I keep on twisting untill my hair length is fully covered(I have long, thick hair). I keep working up each section till my head is covered. Now I keep my head upside down and blow dry it with a diffuser. I airdry if time is not an issue. Both produce same results.
Lastly, I am left with frizz free beautiful curls that last for two days(ofcourse, I have to reactivate it the next day). This process works for me so, its a winner for me :)

Top Rated Paul Mitchell Products