October 24, 2014 | 1776 users online

Sunscreen - Avene - Very High Protection Sunscreen Cream SPF30+ UVA/UVB [DISCONTINUED]

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2013 4:34:00 AM More reviews by rubylola

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow, just read some previous reviews and I'm surprised. I like this product. This has been the best face sunscreen I have used. It is thick but a small amount goes a long way. It is slightly tinted but looks nicer on my skin tone than any other sunscreen I have tried. My face doesn't look too white or feel greasy. I can leave this on all day, even after exercising and not look shiny. If I did that with other suncreams I would feel so gross. I have repurchased a few times, but one tube generally lasts me the whole summer. It has good waterproof factor too. I swim a lot in the surf and I don't need to re-apply while I'm at the beach.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2011 9:45:00 PM More reviews by luckylouie

I am always on the hunt for the ultimate physical sunblock and this isn't it! It is thick and sticky and the tint is incredibly unflattering. It would actually be better if they left it white. I like most Avene products, but this is one of the worst physical sunblocks I've ever used.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2011 5:39:00 AM More reviews by g_82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It can be too heavy for people with oily, oily/combo skin. And it is not for someone looking for a matte finish. But for someone with slightly drier skin like me, it is a decent high-protection physical sunscreen. I can't tolerate chemical sunscreen and dare not to buy Fancl sunscreen after the radiation incident. This came as a decent replacement. It does leave a pinkish cast. A trick is to mix it with a hint of liquid foundation in a darker shade, or dust off with powder.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2010 1:54:00 AM More reviews by sweetheart_xo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been on the hunt for a new SPF30+ sunscreen that's moisturising enough to use on its own under makeup, and thought a good place to start might be Avene. I work in a pharmacy and get to sample brand-new tester products before they hit the shelves, and I have used this a few times on occasion just to see if I like it. This is quite thick, and slightly gluggy in texture. It is a tinted sunscreen, but does not provide any coverage whatsoever (unlike a tinted moisturiser). This also leaves a white sheen after it's rubbed in, which I am not fond of at all! On the other hand, this will be perfect for those with dry, sensitive skin, and for those who have had success with using other Avene products. There are definitely better sunscreens out there, and I will not be purchasing this.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2008 12:06:00 AM More reviews by lepetitrouge

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was eager to try this when I saw it at the shops. For a couple of weeks, it seemed OK. Yes, it's really thick to spread, and if you use only slightly too much, you have to spend 10 minutes rubbing it in and are left with a white cast all over your face. (The whiteness, however, was not really such a problem for me, as I'm already very white). The sun protection seemed to be really good, and despite the thickness, I was starting to think this product might be worth using (I am notoriously reactive to sunscreens).
But.......one day I started to get these tiny little red bumps on my face. I thought they were just some little pimples, and didn't pay any attention to them. The next day, they got slightly worse, and the day after, I looked like I had measles or something. It was awful. My face was red, spotty and littered with these tiny little bumps under the surface. I stopped using this product (and any other sunscreen product, just in case) and started using Shiseido Night Moisture Recharge day and night. Within three days, the majority of the bumps, little pimples, and redness had cleared away. Because I am paranoid about sun protection, after a week or so, I started using Sunsense Daily Face 30+ during the day, and I've gotten no reaction. So, it was definitely the Avène sunscreen cream which caused such a strong reaction. I really would like to know the ingredients of this product, as on the packet it says "Hypoallergenique - Non-comedogene." It is certainly not what it advertises itself to be - at least not for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/8/2008 4:31:00 AM More reviews by LowSelfEsteem

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This review is for the Very High Protection Sunscreen Cream SPF30+. RRP AUD$24.
I agree with some previous reviews that this product is thick and it is quite difficult to rub in/on...my face became quite red to begin with from the vigorous rubbing in. I wonder how good this is for your skin especially the delicate areas near the eyes?
Anyway...it initially leaves a white cast and looks rather ordinary. I found that after about 10 minutes it had absorbed quite nicely and left a pleasant semi matte surface.
It was better than many sunscreens I have used (I have a cupboard full of unused lotions and potions) but I wouldn't repurchase as I really think this needs to be easy, and kinder, to apply to the face. Very good for backs of hands though!
BTW This is a physical sunscreen so it doesn't smell like a chemical cocktail. I didn't have any problems with it affecting my eyes...overall I think it would be very suitable for people with sensitive skin/eyes.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/5/2007 11:00:00 AM More reviews by QueenQ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Urgh....this stuff is THICK, HEAVY and DIFFICULT TO SPREAD. It's tinted, leaving a pinkish and greyish color on my face. I looked so wrong. Like between a corpse and a normal living, breathing human being. To top it off I broke out in a rash from using this. Did I mention it was sticky as well? Yucks, who would want to use this stuff on their face? It's goes against everything people would ask for in a sunscreen besides the high SPF protection.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2007 12:41:00 AM More reviews by lagauchette

I've only used it once on my pale skin and i found that it toned redness, felt a little bit heavy but nothing i couldn't handle... its supposed to be non pore clogging... acne is a concern for me so i guess we'll see with time, but i liked it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2007 10:43:00 AM More reviews by secondadonna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Gee, I wish I'd found these reviews before trying this. I too used the SPF 50 version (it's hard to find the reviews for it -- some are mixed in with the reviews of the chemical-block version with Tinosorb; this is for the all-physical version from Canada, white tube). As others have said, it's pretty much unwearable. It's really hard to spread and even on my PPP skin it's ridiculously white. I managed to wear it a couple of times over moisturizer, but I know I wasn't using enough or spreading it evenly enough to get proper protection. It also *feels* really pore-clogging, if you know what I mean -- it's so thick and feels like a mask on, that I was just sure if I kept it up I would break out. Anyway, back it went to the store, and I'm giving up on trying to get high PPD physical protection for now. Trying Vichy next.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2007 3:21:00 AM More reviews by TRKK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a review for the SPF 50 version of this. Good lord. I was buying some Eluage from the drugstore when I saw this. The ingredients looked pretty good for sensitive skin - I react and break out to every single sunscreen I try, especially to euro sunscreens. They didn't have a tester so I decided to take the plunge. When I got home and tried this out ON THE BACK OF MY HAND, it tinted the skin there grey and sickly! Now I don't know what I'm gonna do with this tube but it's highly unlikely I'll ever put it on my face.