July 29, 2014 | 932 users online

Tools - Shiseido - The Skincare Cleansing Massage Brush

rated 1 of 5 on 5/14/2014 12:38:00 AM More reviews by ladyfey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Stayed with it for a few weeks, but it did horrible things to my skin. Bumps everywhere! The brush feels incredibly soft, so I thought that it would be okay when used gently on my rosacea-prone skin. I was wrong. I even stayed with it for awhile, thinking that maybe my skin was just "adjusting." No, and after stopping with the brush, my skin already looked happier the next day. That fancy brush is now a bath toy for my kids!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2014 10:44:00 PM More reviews by missn74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've had the same brush for over 5 years. I know I'm suppose to replace them but I find that I need to if I just sanitize it and use only a few times a week. The bristles are too long so that when you're rotating the brush against your skin the bristles flattens to the sides. If you those cystic acne it's going to hurt because of the rubber bristles in the center of the brush. There aren't many bristles so it doesn't cleanse through the pores as well as other cleansing brushes where it's more densely compact.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2013 12:34:00 AM More reviews by purrsian

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Much has been said by other MUAers on this brush. A good little tool to add into your skin care arsenal especially for those who never have used a facial cleansing brush, you do see some changes and improvement. However, you must learn to be ultra gentle to start with, find the right pressure for yourself, coz it can still hurt your skin if you are brushing with it too hard or too frequently. Once or twice a week for me is about right.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/9/2013 4:04:00 PM More reviews by suzieo123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Better then using your hands as I seem to spend a bit more time washing my face but not as good as the Clarisonic. It's nice and soft but not good enough to purchase again. I think more gimmicky...
2nd: ok, so i've had this brush for a couple of weeks and i find myself reaching for it more often. because i spend more time washing, my face is clean. i use only in the AM and use the Clarisonic in PM. also makes my face wash last longer -- only need a pea size ( Purity ) of cleanser - when i use my hands, i have to use double the amount of cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 1:54:00 AM More reviews by forlornflo

Been using this for about 20 years, twice a day, since I was around 7 years old. Brush lasts for awhile (on my 2nd or 3rd brush) if you're gentle with it. I can no longer wash my face without this brush because it always gets my face clean. Doesn't really massage, but does a good deep clean of pores to get grime out. Definitely helps with making shiseido cleansing foam washes last for a year or more.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2013 5:17:00 PM More reviews by GirlFromB

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a review for the brush with pink silicone stems. I recently experienced mild breakouts around the mouth and chin area combined with really sensitive skin, probably due to hormonal changes (I'm a breastfeeding mother) that I couldn't keep under control with my usual remedies : Avène water, Dr Brandt Pore Control, Shiseido Pureness anti blemish fluid etc.
I now use this brush since about one month and am happy with the results. My face looked more radiant and even toned in one week and blemishes are def more under control. The brush is very soft, doesn't scratch at all and works up a nice lather with my Shiseido Benefiance cleanser, without drying my skin or causing redness.

Usage tip: wet brush and add a pea size of foam cleanser, start brushing with circular motions on the lower part of your skin as excess water and foam will otherwise run in your eyes, work your way up, rinse with warm water and a cloth (to avoid water spilling). Pat dry and finish with a splash of lotion and moisturizer.

Learn how to double-use this brush with Dermalogica's Microfoliant (here follows a recap of my review of the Microfoliant):

I used to be a fan of the Clinique 7day scrub but than learned that scrubbing is damaging to the skin and skipped to exfoliation because my skin needs a take-the-dull-layer-away action now & then. I love the effect of this exfoliator, and have repurchased before, despite the totally steep price. Aside from the exfoliating effect due to enzymatic action, it also contains salicylic acid to deep cleanse pores (a must ingredient for when my skin acts weird).

However I hated how much product I spill e-v-e-r-y time. I find it difficult to turn the powder into a "cream" without any grid (to avoid the scrub effect) within the limited space of my hand palm, sometimes I just slather it on my moist face in the shower, anyway I always end up with half of the expensive powder in the bath tub or sink - so I gave up on regular use.

Now I really want to share my new secret of how I re-started to use this recently.
I'm already using the Shiseido Cleasing Massage brush with my cleansing cream for a while and - on a desperate bad skin day/week - grabbed for it while my eye caught the Microfoliant catching dust in my closet and thought : "Hey!"

Tadaaaaa! A match was made in heaven. Here's how I do it:
- wet brush and face
- dry hands
- put some powder in palm of your hand
- work up to a lather with the brush and apply to face

Since the Shiseido brush is super gentle and soft, it's safe to use this with the Microfoliant I guess - anyway no irritation so far (haven't tried this with Dermalogica's brush thought, which seems like no good idea since their brush is exfoliating on its own).

So: Dermalogica Microfoliant + Shiseido Skincare Massage brush = clear, exfoliated skin without spills! I hope you read it here first, otherwise I'm afraid I'm poaching about a discovery of a very unhidden treasure ...

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2013 2:30:00 AM More reviews by Ztte3699

This brush was handed down to me by my mother... by handed down, I mean left behind in the depths of her sock drawer where I unearthed this gem after about 4 years after she purchased it. THAT happened about 3 years ago, and I still use this regularly to cleanse my face after a long day. It's undoubtedly well constructed but I can't say that about the newer version as mine is ANCIENT(think pre-Dick Page) The bristles are intact if only a bit mis-shaped. The brush in action is excellent; it foams up my Dove bar quite nicely and is a good exfoliator, but it can also get a bit scratchy if you tend to hover over a particular area or apply too much pressure, but that's a problem with any brush/exfoliator, really. With that said, using this has helped to reduce my breakouts significantly, now to a point where the only time they occur is around my period or when I get lazy with washing my face with this for a prolonged time. Would definitely recommend to those whose skin is not too sensitive.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by giri

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am using this brush over last 2 years. For me its the best cleaning brush i ever had. It feels no nice on my skin, privides gentel massage and increasing cleaning result of soap i use

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2013 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Videotapeses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I have had this brush for a year now, and it's still holding together well. The bristles are very soft and gentle and don't scratch skin at all. This works well to clean the sebaceous filaments on my nose and leave them looking invisible until they reappear later like usual. I would easily purchase this again if I lost it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by SophieH

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this product after getting broken capillaries--and not much benefit--from the Clarisonic. The Shiseido brush is a cool product, but honestly I wasn't as floored as I thought I would be.

First of all, it does feel nice on the skin, but the head is really small, so you only get a bit of massage contact at a time. (The massage nubs do make this a much more luxurious product than a basic cleansing brush, though.) The design is nice, and it's honestly very pretty, but the travel/storage/drying cap always comes off if you try to put the brush in a bag or even nudge it the wrong way. After traveling with this brush a couple times, a few of my bristles have already gotten a bit out of shape because the cap keeps coming off. It's annoying, because I know this brush really could last a lifetime if the bristles were protected consistently.

(That said, the protective cap also makes this an improvement over basic cleansing brushes, because it gives you a very simple, practical way of drying and storing the brush for everyday. It's just not ideal for travel.)

Finally, the two things I hoped this brush would do--make my cleanser foam like crazy, and exfoliate--didn't happen. I still had to use about as much foaming cleanser (Clinique) as usual. (Granted, that isn't much--but I was sort of hoping this brush would reduce the amount I needed to use to just a pinprick or something. I still had to use a full dab.)

Also, I guess I should have known that this wouldn't really exfoliate. The bristles are too soft for it to really take off dead skin in a completely thorough way. I think most people will not have their exfoliation needs fully met by this product. If you are using something else--such as a weekly scrub or peel--in addition to this, you should be OK, but not otherwise. This would probably be a great exfoliator for those with super-sensitive skin, as it is seriously gentle, but for most everyone else, it won't do the job alone.

Get this if you want a basic cleansing brush, as it's a great, luxurious choice for that. But don't expect it to exfoliate deeply or perform any other miracles that a super-gentle cleansing brush wouldn't.