November 26, 2014 | 930 users online

Primer/ Corrector - DHC - Velvet Skin Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2014 11:57:00 PM More reviews by LilMissMatched

This is the first primer I ever used and I used it about six-seven years ago and had never even heard of such a thing... But I was pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of the product. It works remarkably as described. It fills in pores and any unevenness in your skin and leaves a perfect palette for your foundation/concealer/bb/cc cream...whatever. Or you can use alone. I have troubled skin: scars, redness, as well as cystic acne at one point that's being controlled right now w/a skin care routine- ANYWHO I can't use it alone, but if you had nice skin, this would make a good base for just a light dusting of powder. It's a great standalone or add in in any makeup routine. I rated the price as a full 5 lippies because I recieved a sample in a book called The Beauty Buyble (awesome read for a makeup junkie, chock-full of deluxe samples and basically like makeupalley in a book, full of different products, a broad range, and ratings, though by now probably outdated.) At any rate, I priced on amazon, and it's very reasonably priced so that's a plus. The packaging is nice and hygienic so that's a definite plus. And just a small pea sized dab will cover your entire face generously, so that's a plus. It really has a velvet like texture, no odor, no color to speak of, so you're getting just a foundation primer. That's a plus to me. I love this stuff and will be ordering a full sized tube promptly. It's a keeper in my reportoire.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2014 12:18:00 PM More reviews by lifeinfuschia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This primer makes the skin feel so nice and smooth but it made me oily before it usually becomes so, unfortunately. It certainly helps the foundation to "stick" but it just didn't do the job for me. It may have even been the culprit of a couple bumps, too, but it's hard to tell because I was testing other products at the time.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2014 2:39:00 AM More reviews by PamelaA

I loved this primer to first few times I used it, then my skin broke out. I have tried several other times to use it, and I get the same results...pimples. Bummer for me, since it does feel really nice. Not worth the breakouts though. I would be hesitant to buy this if you suffer breakouts or sensitivity.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2013 2:50:00 PM More reviews by crashedandburn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I really love this product. I love it enough to say it might even be my HG primer/make-up base, but it's honestly only the 3rd primer I've ever tried, so I don't really have many to compare to, I just know it works! The first time I wore it I really couldn't stop admiring my face in the mirror, and that hasn't happened in a long looooong time!

My favourite thing about this has to be the finish, it goes on very light and it has a really nice smooth texture, it looks extremely natural and even glowy! No caking, or odd textures here and there. It also makes my foundation look so much nicer, and for a much longer time (I've got very oily skin, and my foundation tends to crumble quickly, even with an old primer of mine). It really helps make makeup more long lasting.

Great oil control! I find my oily face doesn't look as ridiculously shiny as quickly, and less often too. Really amazing, doesn't feel drying either, unlike most mattifying primers.

I find it doesn't give any coverage on its own, but after applying foundation or concealer, my pores are nicely covered, and some of my smaller pores are pretty much invisible. It also increases coverage for blemishes and acne scars.

The only thing that's bad about this is the price and quantity. It's such a teeny tiny tube, and you use quite a bit each time, so I think this is only going to last me say 3 months? But honestly, I'd rather pay for this again than waste more money and go around trying new products in the hopes of finding something else that works as well. I also think it's worth repurchasing because I find that I use less foundation when I'm using this. I don't even use concealer anymore too!

Yes, I would repurchase and I would definitely recommend!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/25/2013 9:20:00 PM More reviews by gdeezy

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Goes on very smooth and does make the skin feel velvety and makeup goes on smoother. I just prefer a primer that leaves more of a matte finish though since I use heavier moisturizers underneath. Velvet Coat works fine if you can get by with a light moisturizer, but if you use a heavier one, I prefer something like L'Oreal's Miracle Blur.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2013 5:15:00 AM More reviews by domokun_nyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is not something I use every day, but periodically if I need to control oil or mattify things, mostly on my forehead. I bounce between this and a couple other primers and filler/sealer products. On the plus side, this does not break me out if I use it on my cheeks or chin the way most of the others will. It's got a nice silky feel and does its job mattifying. On the cons, it doesn't really fill anything in, but sometimes feels a bit heavier or thicker than some of the other options. Sometimes it comes out of the tube in globs or "spits" out in small chunks, rather than smooth gel, which is a little annoying. But maybe that's just the nature of the product. I feel it does that more when it's older (drier?) than when fresh. Anyway, the tube is a nice delivery system, better than a pot. Overall, it's a nice product, nothing too special, but useful to have around.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/13/2013 11:31:00 AM More reviews by i9jadei9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am so bummed out about this product! I got a little sample packet of this that came in their catalog and couldn't wait to try it! Once I did, on that first day, I absolutely LOVED it!! It went on smooth and just made my skin look overall really healthy. I still got a little shiny by the end of the day but really I was looking for a primer that would just keep my makeup in place and look good all day so that wasn't a big deal for me. Unfortunately within just a few days my skin broke out with several pimples like I haven't had in ages. This is the only thing I added to my skin so without a doubt it was this. I gave it a rating of 3 because the product itself works great, it's just a matter of if it will work with your skin or not, and for me it just didn't.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I felt like this primer was very good for oil control. I will keep it around for the summer time when I have an issue with oily skin.

UPDATE: Yes, this is the best silicone-based primer I have tried yet, in terms of controlling oil. I didn't have to touch up my T-zone ONCE over a 12 hour period, where I was oily by 4 hours with my Cinema Secrets Ultimate Foundation Primer.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2013 10:07:00 PM More reviews by banshee6

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a very matte primer for my combo, normal to dry skin. I was looking for something to replace my Bare Mineral Primetime, hoping to find a bit simpler, more moisturizing formula.

I can't have things with chemicals (i.e. glycols), & reading the description for this-it was said to leave your skin velvety soft. Plus containing olive oil, I thought it might give my skin some more hydration despite the matter finish. It dries pretty quick, to a powdery velvet as stated, but I don't think it made my skin softer per se. Nor did I find it to make my MMU look fresher or stay on better than using my Primetime after several hours.

DHC Velvet Coat is not a "bad" product, I think it's just better suited for skin that can handle a more matte finish.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2012 8:33:00 AM More reviews by linhgaga

It doesn't break me out like other primers. It does help to stick my foundation on for much longer however the oil control is not as great as I expected. I would only buy it again if I find nothing interesting enough to test out. This tube also goes a long way.