Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick in Ultimate Wine

2.4

on 5/24/2015 6:01:00 PM

Please don't buy this :(

It's the most disappointed I've ever been on a product.

This is my first ever post because I want people to know think hard about it before you purchase.

Idk how other people could enjoy this to be honest!!!

As a lipstick lover this is the worst product I've ever worn.

It's awkwardly sticky feeling all the time and just plain uncomfortable to wear.

Yes it lasts...but all you want to do is take it off.

However it doesn't last perfectly. It spreads and separates quickly. And areas will be more concentrated in colour even though I tried to evenly apply it :/

Sigh.

Yes the packaging is pretty, the colours look like they will be awesome which what caught my eye but now I know read reviews first before jumping in any buying something! And another thing is the swatches on the stand look NOTHING like the colours. Sometimes they are 10% off and you're like alright not too bad I guess but these were like what the heck!

I don't recommend it even on my worst enemy lol.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I'll start with the positive aspects first. I got this product in "Prized Peach". BEAUTIFUL color. I like the packaging as well.

However... this was way too expensive for what it's worth! This lip product is absolutely awful! It's very runny when you apply it, and you often see the product trailing out the lines of your lips. Not that easy to apply. Also, once it starts to dry, it's very sticky. I habitually pucker my lips after applying lip product, and I was surprised to see that my lips were actually sticking together, LOL. The worst part of this product? It feathers out-- BAD. It starts to look really flaky after 5-10 minutes.

I wanted to like it based off of the color, but Revlon really messed up on this one. :/

on 10/25/2008 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought this because in the store next to the other colours, it looked like a nice rich wine red. It's not. It's not a red or wine by any means, but instead a deep, bright pink. I'd call it a fuscia. I'm cool skinned and I still couldn't pull this off. It's way too bright and Barbie of a colour. I also found it very hard to apply because it's such a harsh, bright colour. It was very hard to prevent it from looking streaky. I exchanged this for the colour "On-Going Flame", which I much prefer. It's a lovely rich, classic red and not too bright or dark. It could probably be worn by cool or warm skinned people because it's such a classic and tasteful colour (though much more for evening than daytime as it's quite bold). It also applies much nicer (smoother, without streaking). I can't say much about the longevity of these lipcolours yet as I haven't worn them for an extended length of time, but I'll update my review based on that if I feel I need to. A little tip: To remove long-wearing lipcolours, I use unscented baby oil (which is actually just mineral oil, if you read the ingredients). For those in Canada, unscented baby oil can be purchased at Superstore in their Teddy's Choice brand for under $1 for a small travel-size bottle or $2 for a huge bottle that lasts me about a year. It will remove any eye or lip makeup with ease, no matter how waterproof or stubborn it is. I don't even have to rub or scrub with it to remove this lipcolour. I just squirt a bit onto a cotton ball or cotton cosmetic pad and a single light swipe on both lips completely removes it without leaving a trace behind.
Update 11/01/2008: I wore this product in the nicer "On-Going Flame" colour out to a Halloween party last night and it didn't last long at all. After about an hour of wear, I looked at it to apply more gloss over top and it still looked alright. Then in another 45 minutes or so, I thought my lips felt a little gritty. I looked in the mirror shortly after and saw that the edges of my lips were the only areas that still had any colour on them. The other areas were bare with red grit everywhere from the lip colour that had crumbled off. And it looked terribly obvious because this is not a subtle colour. I was not impressed with the lasting quality at all. It was even worse than a regular lipstick that just fades away because this stuff actually crumbles and makes a huge mess of your lips. I love the "On-Going Flame" colour and how it looks when it's first applied, but I would not repurchase and I probably won't ever wear it again. I'll have to try to find a comparable colour to "On-Going Flame" in another brand, I suppose.

on 1/5/2007 2:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I loved this color! I think it's a great, flattering wine red. It's not a dark wine by any means, but it is a nice cool tone and not electric-bright. I get the same mileage out of this as MAC Pro Longwear and at the cheaper price, it may have won me over. It's still very difficult to remove when you do want it off, though, and I do get some strange flaking like I do with all 2-part lipcolors I've tried. Plum Wine Timeliner matches this perfecly.

on 3/12/2005 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I guess mine is to be the dissenting opinion here, because I like this color.
I found "Ultimate Wine" to be a lovely deep red with a very slight hint of brown(though not enough to ruin it for this devout Winter). I wear this when "Forever Scarlet" would be too bright.
"Ultimate Wine" is not my favorite of Revlon's OverTime lipcolors(that honor goes to "Forever Scarlet"), but it is a pretty,flattering, serviceable shade that I plan to buy again.

on 4/24/2004 2:46:00 AM

Got this from a friend. Found it very drying and bizzare. Cracks after 5 minutes, then flakes. Not very pretty.

on 2/2/2004 11:37:00 PM

Yeeeeeeiiiiiiikes! On my lips, this is NOT wine at all, but rather a very bright coral-fuschia!! Very 40's, and on the right gal, I suppose it could look cute. But not me. I should have listened to other MUA reviewers, but it looked so pretty and sophisticated in the tube that I decided to take the chance anyway. :''''( I've learned my lesson. I plan on trying a couple more colors to give this product a fair chance, though.

This is the only colorstay overtime lipcolor I did not keep.The color was different that expected.Not a wine, more coral and pink.Too bright for ppp.Is ok for medium skin complexion.Works for my mother.She loves it as well as the wearability.And she usually does not care for makeup!
As a conclusion, not a bad product just the wrong color.Just make sure you applied it fast because it dries fast.

on 9/23/2003 9:04:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

One thing I don't like about the Overtime Lipcolor is the fact that it's difficult to judge the colours. I had good luck with two of the colours I bought (Endless Spice and Keep Blushing) but I was disappointed with Ultimate Wine. It's not a wine colour at all--it's red. It's a very bright red that's a tad on the maroon side. It'll be good if I ever have the occasion to wear bright red lipstick (although I can't imagine when that would be). This also came with a Glossy Topcoat, a shimmery gloss which didn't improve this colour any, but it might look nice over a lighter colour of lipstick (it would probably go well with Keep Blushing).

on 4/9/2003 3:06:00 AM

Great colour on the tube, but it was actually more pinkish than reddish wine. Like a dark coral colour. It is a little too pinkish for my taste. Is it just me or does the colour sting a little when you apply it? I don't have chapped lips or any cuts either. The gloss part is great. You can even buy it separate which I did. Rite Aid had this for 40% off so I bought 2 on a whim. It did feel dry when the top gloss is gone. The gloss stays for about an hour, and the lip colour stood for about 2 hours. not bad, but not overtime. I've only worn this 3 times, b/c in the morning after wearing this my lips look and feel dry. no way I could wear this two days in a row. It did flake a bit. I wouldn't buy this again.

Popular Lipsticks