October 26, 2014 | 1659 users online

Shampoo - Clairol - Shimmer Lights

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2014 1:47:00 AM More reviews by lml22

I just bought this product the other day from Sally's Beauty Supply and used it for the first time today. I am actually very happy with the results! I left it in for about 5 minutes (while I was shaving my legs) and I can already tell a difference. My hair has always pulled red tones and this definitely made a difference on the brassiness of the blonde. As for the smell, it is not bad at all. I'm 20 years old, and I honestly think it smells quite nice :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2014 2:04:00 PM More reviews by BrunetteProductJunkie

I have dark hair with gold highlights and ombre ends. With my naturally dark hair and my ethnic make up (Scottish and Korean - Starburst lied, we're real) my hair goes brassy quickly. I also do the "no poo" routine so that can give a yellowy-orange tint after a while. This stuff really kills the brassiness in my hair, both the highlights and the dark parts. I love the deep clean it provides and it doesn't leave my hair feeling dried out like some purple shampoos can. I recommend this to anyone trying to tone down the red.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2014 3:59:00 PM More reviews by Petitgateau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This worked miracles on my bleached hair!! I've used it twice and it turned my very orange toned hair to a beautiful silver colour!! It does dry hair out though, but I deep condition my hair all the time so this hasn't been a real problem for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/20/2014 10:24:00 AM More reviews by searchanddestroy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!! 2 things I did not like about this shampoo...first the smell. Yuck! Smells like old lady, flowery perfume. Second was it wasn't a dark enough purple to do anything to my platinum hair. I left it on for awhile and even re-wash with it after.
I personally love L'oreal Professionel Silver shampoo. Very deep purple colour....has left a purple hue to my hair, and the smell is tolerable.

I had to give Shimmer lights a try due to all the talk about it, unfortunately it wasn't for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2014 11:17:00 AM More reviews by SamanthaDavies

THIS SAVED ME FROM ORANGE HAIR

I NEVER write reviews but I had to for this product!
I am a natural blonde but decided two weeks ago to dye my hair a dark golden blonde- it went worng. VERY wrong and I ended up with bright orange hair. After crying for a day I decided to put a semi perminant ash blonde on top to see of that helped tone down the orange. It helped a tiny bit but still the orange was very prominent especially in sun light. I ordered shimmer lights and it arrived within a week. I put it on dry hair and left for five mins then rinsed- then applied to wet hair and left for another five mins and rinsed. I am actually amazed!! The orange has completely gone away and I am now a lovely light ash blonde!! NO ORANGE AT ALL! It really has gone away. The smell of this shampoo is no way as bad as some say it is. I quite like the scent- it's sort of floral and reminds me of those medicated shampoos you get for dry scalps. If you want to freshen your highlights or like me CORRECT A BAD DYE JOB I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND THIS SHAMPOO!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by sopranowriter

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I recently went from my natural mousy/ashy brown hair color to a dark, graduated blonde with heavy highlights on top and at the edges. I was thrilled with my new color, and immediately began to research products to extend its life as long as possible and keep the highlights bright and sparkling-something of a trick, as I live in an area with highly chlorinated/chloramine(d?) water. I briefly considered Aveda's color extending line of products, but I have used those in the past, and was less than thrilled with the results, so I decided to try Shimmer Lights-the kind for blonde and silver hair. I don't think I will need to keep looking-I am very happy with the results!
When I got in the shower, I was surprised at the shampoo's bright purple color, and a little worried about it staining my tub, or not rinsing out of my hair, but I needn't have worried about either. (It rinses right off the tub without leaving a stain.) I applied it once all over my head and rinsed it off, then applied some more, and left it on for a few minutes per the instructions on the bottle, while I washed, shaved, and did everything else one does in the shower (almost! ;-)) Then, I rinsed it very, very thoroughly, so no purple residue would remain on my hair. When I say thoroughly, I mean it-you have to rinse until you don't see any bubbles going down the drain at all-the longer, the better. So far, so good....now, about the way it smells. It is quite highly fragranced-a sort of perfumy, "beauty salon" type of scent. If you are someone who is very sensitive to fragrances, it may bother you, but I didn't find it quite as horrible as others have. It does cling to the hair a little, but not for a long time, and it certainly wasn't strong or disgusting enough to give me a headache. It just takes some getting used to, and I can't say I like it much, but the results are worth the minor dissatisfaction with the scent.
When my hair was dried and combed out, I was delighted-the blonde tones in my hair were light and free of coppery or brassy notes, and my hair was very soft and squeaky clean-good enough for a couple shampoo-free days. Now, I have very oily hair, and, before coloring, used to have to wash it every day-and conditioner? Forget about it! Now I can go every other day, but my roots still get oily, so when I used Shimmer Lights for the first time, I wasn't too worried about it drying out my hair. Well, it did-it made it very, very staticky. Enough to make me decide to include conditioner the next time I used it. If you have dry hair, conditioner is a MUST with this shampoo! As I mentioned, I don't, but I think I will probably use this no more than once a week,or as needed, just to be on the safe side. At the price, which was around six dollars for the smallest bottle of this (they offer three or four sizes at Sally's, for varying prices, of course), I will definitely repurchase, and maybe I will try the conditioner too!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2014 3:37:00 AM More reviews by dcalhalabi93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This review is a little difficult for me for 2 reasons:

1) I REALLY wanted it to work
2) If I had a different type of hair this MIGHT have worked.

Onto the review:

I recently bleached my hair (Which is usually a medium brown with a reddish undertone, fine strands, but lots of it) and as expected it pulled a very brassy color. We are talking buy a gold ring and that was the color of my hair....MOSTLY. In the front on the finer strands my hair had turned more of a corn yellow color and in the more dense hair along the back it became a very light brown (Or dark blonde) with a prominent orange undertone.

Because of my experience with hair, I knew that I would need a toner so I decided to skip the liquid toner (Such as Wella which comes highly recommended) and buy Shimmer lights because it was cheaper than other purple shampoos, it was highly pigmented, and could be used more than once, and tailored to how much "Purple" you were needing for your hair.

The first time using it, I applied it to wet hair in the shower and left it in for about 3 minutes. Rinsed and air dried. There was no change.
The Second time I used it, I sprayed my hair to a damp stage and applied the shampoo, leaving it in for the full 5 minutes. Rinsed and REPEATED another 3 minutes on wet hair. Rinsed and air dried. No change, EXCEPT to the lighter parts I mentioned in the front which were a SLIGHTLY more pale "yellow corn" color.
Third time using it, applied it DIRECTLY to dry hair, leaving it for 2 minutes, got in shower dampened hair and applied more (Without rinsing the shampoo on my dry hair) and left for 5 minutes (I was determined to see results this time). Rinsed and air dried. .....No change EXCEPT to the little pieces in front which are a delightful pale blonde with a tinge of yellow. (like the color of uncooked white corn)

I haven't used it since then.

Besides there being almost no change to my hair besides the 1 cm thick strands on the side of my face, there were also a couple unpleasant things to note about this product:

1. You WILL have damage if you use this product. Don't think that just because it is a shampoo it is good for your hair. I am a hairstylist and gave myself a FULL cut and trim with layers before AND after coloring and before using this product, and after each use AND using oil treatments and conditioner and leave in conditioner I STILL noticed split ends immediately. The call: This shampoo is extremely drying! Get a hair mask if you plan to use this often.

2. The smell IS strong but not as bad as some others make it out to be. It DOES have a really powdery musky smell, like spraying on a ton of your grandmothers perfume into your hair. And, it lasts a long time. Even with not washing my hair for 3 days, THEN using a regular shampoo and conditioner (I use Tresemme) I could STILL smell Shimmer lights as if I just used it. BUT, its not horrible, my husband actually likes the smell. And your nose probably will get used to it.

3. This didn't work for MY hair but it COULD still work for yours. I believe that if you have ANY orange tones in your hair, this is not the product for you. But if you DO have platinum or extremely light blonde hair already that has a YELLOW (as in corn or canary yellow) tone than this is a good option if you can risk the damage. But be forewarned, this WONT work on anything darker than that. ...I repeat, you will NOT see any change except split ends. Sorry, its the truth.

4. Beware of your surroundings when using this shampoo. It is highly pigmented so it WILL stain the shower or shower curtains or carpet and even fingernails IF you leave it on for more than a minute or two. And if your hair is Platinum, or very light, probably your hair. But don't freak, it WILL wash out with a couple of washes.

5. I would tag this as more of an "Upkeep" product. Meaning, if you have fresh highlights and are wanting to tone, this is NOT the product for you. It is not strong enough and DOES wash out after a few uses of regular shampoo. But if you HAVE toned and are needing a refresher, this MAY work (Granted you follow my guide above).

BOTTOM LINE: It didn't work for me and I wouldn't buy it again unless my hair were a lot lighter first....but it COULD prove to work very well for you IF you have the right hair. So give it a shot AS LONG AS you have a good hair mask or moisturizer on standby.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2014 1:44:00 PM More reviews by atrayloraxo

Let me start by saying if you're super blonde this is probably for you! I have brunette reddish hair with a warm golden ombre at the ends. I used this and stripped the warmth from my hair. It now looks ashy blonde and I am so sad! Used this once and am throwing the bottle away.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2014 12:16:00 PM More reviews by ljeddrey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Let me start off by saying that I've been researching ways to get rid of the brassy orange / yellow / red tones in my hair for months. I also read all of the reviews on this site before purchasing the Shimmer Lights and am BEYOND happy that I took the plunge.

Here is my story, I went from a platinum blond to dark (DARK) brown. I instantly hated it but decided that I really wanted to try to get back to my natural color and needed some time to get used it. I eventually decided that it was too dark and I'd try umbre to lighten up the bottom half and some pieces around my face. So a darker color was added to my roots, again, and the bottom was lightened.

That still didn't feel right so I eventually started to slowly add more highlights via foils and balayage. The dark color that was added to my root / crown of my head eventually faded to this awful orange / red / yellow tone (because I had so much blond underneath).

My stylist has tried multiple toners and foiling over the color but since I want a balance of low and highlights, I'm trying to avoid having her foil over everything which is leaving crown of my head and some lowlights with that awful brassy color in areas. My hair also always pulls warm tones, it's so frustrating. Enter purple shampoo ...

I've tried a few and nothing worked as well as Clairol Shimmer Lights. Aveda, Bumble, and Redken all weren't strong enough to remove that awful brass. They actually made the brass on the lowlight worse. My stylist suggested the Clairol Shimmer Lights because it's a combination of blue and purple and the others are just purple. I guess I needed that blue to combat the red / organge because now my hair is beautiful .... the dark tones that were fading to red are now toned back to a beautiful low light and my highlights are that perfect pale blond I was looking for.

I was afraid to try it given how many people said it was drying and damaging but I honestly haven't had an issue. I deep conditioned before and after. Yeah, it's a little dry but nothing deep conditioners and oils can't fix. I also don't mind the smell at all.

I've used it three days in a row and 90% off of brass is gone. The first time I lathered once then washed it out becaues I was nervous about my hair turning purple. The following two times I left it on for about 3 minutes. Next I'm going to leave it on only the brassy areas a little longer then start using it all over once a week. After months and months of salon treatments, I'm so happy that I gave this a chance because it brought my color to where I've been trying to get it and this will extend my salon visits and give my hair time to grow and repair. I hope this review helps, good luck!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by BCbabe

Yikes! i went and bought a huge litre bottle of this at Sally when they had a BOGOF. I'd run out of my usual Joico Colour Endure Violet and wanted to see if this was just as good (reviews are decent so I thought "Why not?" It took me a few weeks to get through the bottom of my Joico so by the time I got around to giving this a try, it was probably too late to return... but the *smell*! OH my gosh, it's a rather strong chemically floral scent? Not necessarily "stinky" per se but just... strong and unpleasant, at least to me. I thought it might dissipate after I'd washed my hair, but no, it was still there while I dried my hair and later in the gym I could still smell it. Ugh! I told DH about it and he's willing to bite the bullet and take it from me when he's done his own shampoo. I just don't think I could handle this smell for the long months it will take me to get through it!
Does it work to brighten blonde? Yes, though Joico does have a deeper/stronger violet shade so I'm thinking it may be stronger for removing brassiness. This is also a little more drying if I'm not mistaken. I'll typically mix in my palm 1/2 violet shampoo and 1/2 moisturizing shampoo to help counteract that, but I could feel that this was more stripping (of moisture) when I was using it. You can just feel it with your fingers while you wash. My hair just didn't feel as soft. For occasional use, it would be ok but not for regular use, unless you follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner.
While I'm not super fond of the Joico scent either, I find it much easier to live with so back to Joico I go...