December 20, 2014 | 1657 users online

Shampoo - Clairol - Shimmer Lights

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2014 1:35:00 PM More reviews by Micheladee

Shimmer lights is a great go-to product for when your hair grows brassy after a coloring. It definitely removes a good amount of the yellow tones after my hair is dyed and again weeks after when it begins to get brassy. I wouldn't recommend it any more than once a week, as the product will dry out hair and the smell is rather off-putting. I use it once every month or so to keep the color fresh. If my hair is very brassy, I'll keep the product on for about 5 minutes, although for regular use, two or so minutes will do the trick and leave the hair shiny. Overall, it's very useful!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/11/2014 1:21:00 AM More reviews by Bl0ndi3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used this shampoo 4 days ago and my scalp feels like it's on fire! My hair is extremely dry and frizzy and the scent is so horrible I have had a terrible headache and been sick to my stomach from it even after washing my hair 3 times with a mild shampoo. I am taking this back to the store tomorrow and getting my money back! I will NEVER buy this product again! I have used the John Freida purple shampoo in the past with no issues and will usd that if necessary.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2014 9:48:00 PM More reviews by evanlami

I have mixed feelings about this stuff. It certainly tones and does what it says it will do, but this mixture is *VERY* drying. I use the conditioner too, but it doesn't condition very well. I have to use it in combination with another, better conditioner. I think I'll pay a couple extra dollars and buy a more high-end color depositing shampoo.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/10/2014 2:29:00 PM More reviews by quickbrownfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using Aveda's color depositing conditioners for a long time now. I wanted to make change because this was cheaper and everyone seemed to like it. I don't understand why people like this. Here is a list of why I hate and don't recommend this:

- TERRIBLY DRY HAIR: My hair is not the driest of all, but it dried my hair like crazy. And I left it on for 3 minutes. I can't imagine what would have happened if I left it on for 5 minutes. AND YES I conditioned my hair before AND after. This is my second trial by the way. I have super tangly dry hair right now, wow I'm pissed.
- NO COLOR CHANGE AT ALL: It didn't even do anything for the color. Exactly the same color, brassiness, everything.
- SMELLS TERRIBLE: I'm usually okay with heavy smells in shampoos because they go away very quickly, but this one is a special.

So: No.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/31/2014 7:54:00 PM More reviews by rasew

Cons:
- if you're trying to get your hair from a level 9 or 10 to a 12 or higher, a toner like wella t-18 would be more effective, shimmer lights doesn't seem to provide dramatic long term results
- leaves hair feeling dry and brittle
- the scent may bother some
- cheaper alternative: a few drops of permanent indigo/purple hair dye mixed with plenty of conditioner, less damaging

Pros:
- Good for those who have naturally blonde hair and only want to make it slightly more ashy, will not stain your hair purple

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2014 1:47:00 AM More reviews by lml22

I just bought this product the other day from Sally's Beauty Supply and used it for the first time today. I am actually very happy with the results! I left it in for about 5 minutes (while I was shaving my legs) and I can already tell a difference. My hair has always pulled red tones and this definitely made a difference on the brassiness of the blonde. As for the smell, it is not bad at all. I'm 20 years old, and I honestly think it smells quite nice :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2014 2:04:00 PM More reviews by BrunetteProductJunkie

I have dark hair with gold highlights and ombre ends. With my naturally dark hair and my ethnic make up (Scottish and Korean - Starburst lied, we're real) my hair goes brassy quickly. I also do the "no poo" routine so that can give a yellowy-orange tint after a while. This stuff really kills the brassiness in my hair, both the highlights and the dark parts. I love the deep clean it provides and it doesn't leave my hair feeling dried out like some purple shampoos can. I recommend this to anyone trying to tone down the red.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2014 3:59:00 PM More reviews by Petitgateau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This worked miracles on my bleached hair!! I've used it twice and it turned my very orange toned hair to a beautiful silver colour!! It does dry hair out though, but I deep condition my hair all the time so this hasn't been a real problem for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/20/2014 10:24:00 AM More reviews by searchanddestroy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!! 2 things I did not like about this shampoo...first the smell. Yuck! Smells like old lady, flowery perfume. Second was it wasn't a dark enough purple to do anything to my platinum hair. I left it on for awhile and even re-wash with it after.
I personally love L'oreal Professionel Silver shampoo. Very deep purple colour....has left a purple hue to my hair, and the smell is tolerable.

I had to give Shimmer lights a try due to all the talk about it, unfortunately it wasn't for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2014 11:17:00 AM More reviews by SamanthaDavies

THIS SAVED ME FROM ORANGE HAIR

I NEVER write reviews but I had to for this product!
I am a natural blonde but decided two weeks ago to dye my hair a dark golden blonde- it went worng. VERY wrong and I ended up with bright orange hair. After crying for a day I decided to put a semi perminant ash blonde on top to see of that helped tone down the orange. It helped a tiny bit but still the orange was very prominent especially in sun light. I ordered shimmer lights and it arrived within a week. I put it on dry hair and left for five mins then rinsed- then applied to wet hair and left for another five mins and rinsed. I am actually amazed!! The orange has completely gone away and I am now a lovely light ash blonde!! NO ORANGE AT ALL! It really has gone away. The smell of this shampoo is no way as bad as some say it is. I quite like the scent- it's sort of floral and reminds me of those medicated shampoos you get for dry scalps. If you want to freshen your highlights or like me CORRECT A BAD DYE JOB I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND THIS SHAMPOO!!!!