Clairol Shimmer Lights

4.1

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Fragrance/Parfum, Disodium Phosphate, Glycol Stearate, Ricinoleamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate, Cocamide Mea, Linoleamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylizothiazolinone, EXT. Violet 2, Cl 60730, Violet 2, Cl 60725.

I really have no fight with this product. I'd been using the John Freida tone correcting shampoo until it became increasingly harder to find, except for the "cleansing treatment" that's apparently only found at Walmart. I loved the fragrance of that, as I do with most John Freida products, but alas. This was my next option. So off to Sally's I went. I sniffed it to see what all the fuss was about...and the smell is no joke. Very floral, and it. does. not. dissipate. after washing your hair. I mean, the first day you wash it is understandable. But the second, or even THIRD day? Holy cats! But. I will deal with it because it does indeed do what it's supposed to do. It keeps my all over blonde highlights from going brassy and gross and keeps them looking very soft and natural. Well. As natural as they can possibly be. I use this shampoo maybe once a week, then use the John Freida (haaayyy, lol) Sheer Blonde Go Blonder one or two times a week to keep my roots blended better. Good stuff. But that smell though.

There are super controversial reviews about this product. ive used it recently on my light blonde hair. (for comparison to your own: my hair is a pale blonde with few yellow tones)

what this product will and wont do.
*it will refresh your already light blonde hair color if left in for five minutes to make it brighter
*it will slightly tone out any yellow color if left in for five minutes
*it will not turn yellow toned hair white or "platinum"
*it will not turn your hair silver or lavender if you leave it in for twenty minutes (these are all things i have personally tried on my own hair)

Over all this product is decent slightly drying but no more then what any clairifying or volumizing shampoo will do, the scent is not bad light many are saying. it has a slight floral hint thats all.

If you are looking for a product to slightly brighten yellow toned hair then this is a great product for you, i would stronrly suggest it. However if you are looking to acheive the very "on trend" grey/silver hair then im sorry to say this will not give you that result, however try a wella color charm toner that will help you acheive that. i hope this helped.

on 12/16/2014 1:35:00 PM

Shimmer lights is a great go-to product for when your hair grows brassy after a coloring. It definitely removes a good amount of the yellow tones after my hair is dyed and again weeks after when it begins to get brassy. I wouldn't recommend it any more than once a week, as the product will dry out hair and the smell is rather off-putting. I use it once every month or so to keep the color fresh. If my hair is very brassy, I'll keep the product on for about 5 minutes, although for regular use, two or so minutes will do the trick and leave the hair shiny. Overall, it's very useful!

on 12/11/2014 1:21:00 AM

I used this shampoo 4 days ago and my scalp feels like it's on fire! My hair is extremely dry and frizzy and the scent is so horrible I have had a terrible headache and been sick to my stomach from it even after washing my hair 3 times with a mild shampoo. I am taking this back to the store tomorrow and getting my money back! I will NEVER buy this product again! I have used the John Freida purple shampoo in the past with no issues and will usd that if necessary.

on 11/16/2014 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have mixed feelings about this stuff. It certainly tones and does what it says it will do, but this mixture is *VERY* drying. I use the conditioner too, but it doesn't condition very well. I have to use it in combination with another, better conditioner. I think I'll pay a couple extra dollars and buy a more high-end color depositing shampoo.

on 11/10/2014 2:29:00 PM

I've been using Aveda's color depositing conditioners for a long time now. I wanted to make change because this was cheaper and everyone seemed to like it. I don't understand why people like this. Here is a list of why I hate and don't recommend this:

- TERRIBLY DRY HAIR: My hair is not the driest of all, but it dried my hair like crazy. And I left it on for 3 minutes. I can't imagine what would have happened if I left it on for 5 minutes. AND YES I conditioned my hair before AND after. This is my second trial by the way. I have super tangly dry hair right now, wow I'm pissed.
- NO COLOR CHANGE AT ALL: It didn't even do anything for the color. Exactly the same color, brassiness, everything.
- SMELLS TERRIBLE: I'm usually okay with heavy smells in shampoos because they go away very quickly, but this one is a special.

So: No.

on 10/31/2014 7:54:00 PM

Cons:
- if you're trying to get your hair from a level 9 or 10 to a 12 or higher, a toner like wella t-18 would be more effective, shimmer lights doesn't seem to provide dramatic long term results
- leaves hair feeling dry and brittle
- the scent may bother some
- cheaper alternative: a few drops of permanent indigo/purple hair dye mixed with plenty of conditioner, less damaging

Pros:
- Good for those who have naturally blonde hair and only want to make it slightly more ashy, will not stain your hair purple

on 10/6/2014 1:47:00 AM

I just bought this product the other day from Sally's Beauty Supply and used it for the first time today. I am actually very happy with the results! I left it in for about 5 minutes (while I was shaving my legs) and I can already tell a difference. My hair has always pulled red tones and this definitely made a difference on the brassiness of the blonde. As for the smell, it is not bad at all. I'm 20 years old, and I honestly think it smells quite nice :)

I have dark hair with gold highlights and ombre ends. With my naturally dark hair and my ethnic make up (Scottish and Korean - Starburst lied, we're real) my hair goes brassy quickly. I also do the "no poo" routine so that can give a yellowy-orange tint after a while. This stuff really kills the brassiness in my hair, both the highlights and the dark parts. I love the deep clean it provides and it doesn't leave my hair feeling dried out like some purple shampoos can. I recommend this to anyone trying to tone down the red.

on 9/5/2014 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This worked miracles on my bleached hair!! I've used it twice and it turned my very orange toned hair to a beautiful silver colour!! It does dry hair out though, but I deep condition my hair all the time so this hasn't been a real problem for me.

Top Rated Clairol Products