April 19, 2014 | 1564 users online

Shampoo - Clairol - Shimmer Lights

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2014 8:08:00 PM More reviews by EmRose6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oh I have a love-hate relationship with this product. After being introduced to this in 5th grade after a brown hair dye/orange streaked disaster, I forever remembered this as being a smelly shampoo that had no chance of rescuing my hair. Fast forward ten years later, and I am completely blonde. I don't bleach my hair, but get hilights all over - no toner. Bits and pieces of my natural color can be found without (a slight auburn/chestnut) Anyways - after using this just once, my hair felt so gross - and I was reintroduced to that distinct floral/powder smell. A few tweaks later I've found how this works best for me: I only use it maybe once a week, at most. However, I mix half a palmful of this with my regular shampoo. My hair doesn't feel like straw and looks a smidge lighter and less brassy. I'd never use this multiple times a week - I've also purchased the generic version from Sally's and have had the same excellent results.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2014 12:18:00 AM More reviews by Clover04750

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

My stylist recommended this shampoo and conditioner to take the brassiness out of my hair. The Sally's cashiers also confirmed that it'd be great because that's what they use. My BFF was the ONLY person who told me to use it no more than once a week because its very damaging. I heard from reviews that the product could turn your hair grey or purple if you left it on too long, so I thought for sure I'd see a change.

The stuff smells like an unusual mint. It's very runny and very dark purple. I wet my hair and mixed the shampoo in. It didn't coat my hair in purple like some of the videos showed even though I used quite a bit of it. After three minutes plus time to turn on the shower and adjust water I washed it out. I could feel my hair clumped together like it had way too much residual hairspray, so I took extra care via shower hose to thoroughly rinse my scalp. After rinsing the conditioner, my hair felt softer while wet, but the moment I stepped out of the tub I couldn't even move it because it was so matted. I had a very difficult time untangling my hair, which was impossible to pick through until it was 100% dry. I had to use hair wax almost up to my roots to get the frays to look less visible.

While blow drying my hair, I felt a little burning in my cheeks, but I thought it might be because my face was a little dry. Then the burning felt worse, like a hot sunburn only in my t-zone. I called Sally's and they said that kind of reaction to a shampoo/conditioner is unusual. I don't have sensative skin or any known chemical allergies. I can't use Ion products because they burn a bit on contact, but this stuff burned long after I washed it out. My BFF said maybe my face moisturizer mixed badly with the conditioner residue in my hair, like when my hair fell over my face.

My hair doesn't look any different in color, but it certainly looks a lot more damaged. I may have to get another trim (just had one 11 days ago) because of this product line. I should've done a strand test. Even if this stuff made my hair the color I wanted, I wouldn't use it again. It's not worth the damage. I'd rather have my whole head bleached. That'd be a lot less uncomfortable than the chemical reaction I had to this product line.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 9:12:00 PM More reviews by th3amazingashley

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just starting using it. My hairs already pretty white just has a lot of yellow in it. Trying to get it to be completely white. I can tell quite a bit of difference so far. I imagine after long term use it will get me to where I wanna be.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2014 7:53:00 PM More reviews by corifornication

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This is a great shampoo: it does exactly what it's supposed to on bleached or greying hair. I always try to keep a bottle around for when I get highlights.

However, I'm trying to transition off dying my hair black every few months (right now it's a weird mixture of black, dark brown, and the growing light brown), and my hair is pulling a lot of red in the sun. I was hoping that using this might help curb that red-orange undertone and cool the color down but instead it, uhm, has kind of been turning my hair burgundy? I'm not sure if this is obvious to all of y'all, but it surprised me.

It's not a bad color and it's nothing a good clarifying shampoo can't wash out, but I thought it was worth sharing since it's something brunnettes should consider if they were thinking about using this shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using this product on and off for years and love it! It is one of those hair products that you can depend on. I have started using this again because I used a natural instead of ash blonde on my roots thinking it wouldn't be brassy. Wrong! I have to stick with the ash toned blonde dyes because my hair always will pull red. I'm a natural blonde but I like it a light ash blonde. So I fixed the brass with Wella Color Charm and picked this up as well. I got this at my local Sally's btw:)

I love how they still haven't changed the scent. It is that clean fresh smell that I always remember and love. The best part is that it works! I use it about 3-4 times a week less depending on what products I put in my hair.Like if I use a lot of oils I will use it more frequently because this really clarifies the hair as well as toning. As a blonde though I just have to watch that my really light highlights don't tint lavender. So really you just have to watch your color. It is great though because it keeps my blonde hair in excellent condition and I can keep the brass at bay. Truly a wonderful shampoo! Recommended!

Side Note: I didn't even realize how many people hate the scent!? I don't get the exaggeration? I didn't read the reviews till after and I'm glad I'm not a 1st time user!

Honestly the scent comments are way OTT. Talking of vomiting,gagging etc, come on now it is only shampoo! They make other purple shampoos. IMHO this is the best on the market as I have used them all Joico,John Frieda,LUSH,AG, Unite, Manic Panic, and I can go on and on. So if you hate the scent there are options.:)

I just have to stick up for a good product because some of the comments are just inflated and will make a consumer avoid an excellent product because of some over exaggerated remarks about the scent. It smells like soap not some Grandmother which I think is really rude to say.

Everyone has a right to an opinion and review their experience, but I just wanted to speak realistically so people know this is an awesome product that isn't the greatest smelling but, not the worst and it tones like nobody's biz.;)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2014 2:27:00 PM More reviews by KattKidd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this shampoo for a long time.
It worked well with my virgin ash blonde hair and platinum highlights in it and works well now with my orange brassy blonde level 7-8, since I went black (what I regret) and now slowly going back to blonde.

I don't mind the smell of it, I think it has a great purple pigmentation but this shampoo does dry my hair.
I also discovered John F Blonde Tone correcting shampoo, which from my point of view, leaves your hair more pale and ashy,than Shimmer Lights,but it has less purple pigment in it, so I am debating between those two.
Anyway. The shimmer lights is a classic and a great product. Wish they will come up with more moisturizing formula.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2014 10:54:00 AM More reviews by Tirin

I bought this in hope to get a silver-like hair color with a tint of purple (yes, I'm "weird" like that). Well I would be happy just to get ash blonde hair. I had a very brassy blonde color since I had dyed it plum red a while back. I got bored of that color and wanted to go blonde again, which was a tough journey. I read about this product and decided to try it.

First off, THE SMELL IS NOT THAT BAD! I don't think it smells like "old lady", just a bit afterwards... but it's not a disgusting smell at all! It stays in your hair for some time though.

Anyhow, I bought Shimmer lights Blonde & silver and left it in my hair for about 45 min. My hair turned a light ash blonde with silver ends and silver tints here and there. It looks great! I'm really happy with the results, and I would recommend it to any blonde who wants to get rid of brassiness.

Don't forget to condition afterwards!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 11:00:00 AM More reviews by kayliexx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Only purple shampoo I'll use. Really does the trick. I use it about once a week (or every 2-3 washes) and follow up with my Ice Cream hair mask for Grey/Silver hair, mixed with a bit of deep conditioner. I leave both of those on for about 5-8 minutes each. Afterwards I notice a definite difference, but by the time a week goes by, my hair definitely needs it again. It is also very drying which is why I wouldnt use it everyday. The scent also smells like Zest body soap or something along those lines, which isn't great. But it definitely tones out the yellowness like no other shampoo I've tried. I paid about $20 for my medium-sized bottle and it's lasted me about 8 months so far, and I still have a ton left. I recommend to everyone who wants to tone out brassy-ness in their hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2014 10:20:00 AM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Well I've tried the joico violet (sulfate free!) and the one n only shiny silver, so I had to try the original. It really does work the best in terms of toning. My hair isn't even platinum it's like a medium brassy blonde and this counters a lot of brass. It is drying. But doesn't make your hair a tangled rat's nest or anything. Makes your hair very clean obviously. I leave it in for a minute to several minutes depending on how much time I have. My hair could probably benefit from a 20 minute soak. The scent... Not so much lovin that. It smells like a geriatric ward. No offense to any geriatrics. I just mean it smells um kinda 'old'. Someone compared to an oriental fragrance and I must disagree since all I wear is oriental fragrances. Oh well, small price to pay for something that actually does it's job! I use a heavy conditioner or aveda blue malva with this. Always a leave in and some coconut oil. My hair's fried. There's a reason why this is a best-seller! So wish it was sulfate free cause a part of me thinks while this is toning it's also washing out my wella or manic panic toner simultaneously. Hence the star knocked off.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 11:40:00 AM More reviews by kochanie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I *love* this shampoo! I have naturally medium-darkish blonde hair that I highlight to very light blonde. Because my hair is naturally quite light, and I only have to get highlights 2-3x per year, I don't need toner and just use purple shampoo if I want a more ashy effect (which I do!) but most purple shampoos just tone out any brass, and if anything leave my hair kind of dull looking. This is different though, this actually brings out my highlights more and makes my hair look shiny and makes the color vibrant and perfect! It's also fantastic for my fine hair, it leaves it clean, lightweight, and bouncy. It isn't drying but I'd use a decent conditioner after, as it's not really moisturizing either. However it does seem to have detangling properties, and my hair is always straight, smooth, and shiny after using it, so I guess it is conditioning. As for the smell, it's a love it or hate it scent for sure. It smells kind of like those big 70s/80s orientals, like YSL Opium, but it's not super strong and doesn't really linger. I like it, and besides your hair just ends up smelling mostly like whichever conditioner you used. I use it every other wash or so. Oh and it's a bargain! One of the cheapest purple shampoos you will find, and the best by a mile.

update: the longer I've been using this, the healthier my hair seems. I'm a daily washer, but I use this every other wash as I don't want to over tone my hair. Well, I don't know what it is in this stuff, maybe the protein, but this has really been working wonders on the health of my hair as well as the color. And it seems to detangle right in the shower, I've never had a shampoo do that before! Quickly becoming my HG shampoo.