July 22, 2014 | 1542 users online

Shampoo - Clairol - Shimmer Lights

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2014 1:44:00 PM More reviews by atrayloraxo

Let me start by saying if you're super blonde this is probably for you! I have brunette reddish hair with a warm golden ombre at the ends. I used this and stripped the warmth from my hair. It now looks ashy blonde and I am so sad! Used this once and am throwing the bottle away.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2014 12:16:00 PM More reviews by ljeddrey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Let me start off by saying that I've been researching ways to get rid of the brassy orange / yellow / red tones in my hair for months. I also read all of the reviews on this site before purchasing the Shimmer Lights and am BEYOND happy that I took the plunge.

Here is my story, I went from a platinum blond to dark (DARK) brown. I instantly hated it but decided that I really wanted to try to get back to my natural color and needed some time to get used it. I eventually decided that it was too dark and I'd try umbre to lighten up the bottom half and some pieces around my face. So a darker color was added to my roots, again, and the bottom was lightened.

That still didn't feel right so I eventually started to slowly add more highlights via foils and balayage. The dark color that was added to my root / crown of my head eventually faded to this awful orange / red / yellow tone (because I had so much blond underneath).

My stylist has tried multiple toners and foiling over the color but since I want a balance of low and highlights, I'm trying to avoid having her foil over everything which is leaving crown of my head and some lowlights with that awful brassy color in areas. My hair also always pulls warm tones, it's so frustrating. Enter purple shampoo ...

I've tried a few and nothing worked as well as Clairol Shimmer Lights. Aveda, Bumble, and Redken all weren't strong enough to remove that awful brass. They actually made the brass on the lowlight worse. My stylist suggested the Clairol Shimmer Lights because it's a combination of blue and purple and the others are just purple. I guess I needed that blue to combat the red / organge because now my hair is beautiful .... the dark tones that were fading to red are now toned back to a beautiful low light and my highlights are that perfect pale blond I was looking for.

I was afraid to try it given how many people said it was drying and damaging but I honestly haven't had an issue. I deep conditioned before and after. Yeah, it's a little dry but nothing deep conditioners and oils can't fix. I also don't mind the smell at all.

I've used it three days in a row and 90% off of brass is gone. The first time I lathered once then washed it out becaues I was nervous about my hair turning purple. The following two times I left it on for about 3 minutes. Next I'm going to leave it on only the brassy areas a little longer then start using it all over once a week. After months and months of salon treatments, I'm so happy that I gave this a chance because it brought my color to where I've been trying to get it and this will extend my salon visits and give my hair time to grow and repair. I hope this review helps, good luck!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by BCbabe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Yikes! i went and bought a huge litre bottle of this at Sally when they had a BOGOF. I'd run out of my usual Joico Colour Endure Violet and wanted to see if this was just as good (reviews are decent so I thought "Why not?" It took me a few weeks to get through the bottom of my Joico so by the time I got around to giving this a try, it was probably too late to return... but the *smell*! OH my gosh, it's a rather strong chemically floral scent? Not necessarily "stinky" per se but just... strong and unpleasant, at least to me. I thought it might dissipate after I'd washed my hair, but no, it was still there while I dried my hair and later in the gym I could still smell it. Ugh! I told DH about it and he's willing to bite the bullet and take it from me when he's done his own shampoo. I just don't think I could handle this smell for the long months it will take me to get through it!
Does it work to brighten blonde? Yes, though Joico does have a deeper/stronger violet shade so I'm thinking it may be stronger for removing brassiness. This is also a little more drying if I'm not mistaken. I'll typically mix in my palm 1/2 violet shampoo and 1/2 moisturizing shampoo to help counteract that, but I could feel that this was more stripping (of moisture) when I was using it. You can just feel it with your fingers while you wash. My hair just didn't feel as soft. For occasional use, it would be ok but not for regular use, unless you follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner.
While I'm not super fond of the Joico scent either, I find it much easier to live with so back to Joico I go...

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2014 3:00:00 AM More reviews by MTMB7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This shampoo does tone hair and help with brassiness, but two cons: The chemical smell is so horrifically strong, it gives me a headache. It's not the smell I mind so much. It's how over powering it is! I can taste it when I breathe in! I am not even exaggerating, I am inhaling it and it's awful. Second con. It is drying and makes the scalp feel itchy and dry and this is coming from someone who has super oily hair and skin, so I would not use all the time or more than 3-5 minutes. I would buy this again but ONLY if I couldn't find something better. I would like something with less of a harsh smell for sure as I am sensitive to over powering scents. They always lead to a headache. I am sitting here right now well over three hours after using it and the smell is just nauseating at this point. I am tired of it and wish it would go away but it hasn't went down at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2014 7:10:00 PM More reviews by renia22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I recently purchased the brunette/ red formula. My hair is naturally medium brown, and I use a mixture of henna and cassia on it every 4-6 weeks or so. Many grays are creeping in (which turn coppery with the henna/ cassia) and I wanted a color depositing shampoo to help keep the grays tinted, so I wouldn't have to henna as often. I've tried Tressa before, but found that one to be too drying.

This one is a shimmery/ coppery bronze color. It lathers well, rinses easily, and does not tangle or dry out my fine/ wavy hair. Makes it really smooth and shiny. I really like the smell. It smells like something I remember using in the past, but I can't put my finger on what. Powdery/ musky is how I would categorize it. If you are familiar with Avon Night Magic, Sweet Honesty, Bath & Body Works Moonlight Path, I'd say it's in the same fragrance "family" as those. Not exactly like any of those, but similar that it's a heavy, musky powdery scent. I find that if I use a strongly scented conditioner, the shimmer lights scent overwhelmingly comes through, so it might be worth a drive out to Sally's to see if you like the scent, because you will smell it all day.

Nice subtle hint of gold color to the grays, too. It says you can use this on brunette, red or blonde to bring out the gold. Sally's only seems to have the blonde version, so I bought mine on EBay. I like it a lot.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2014 10:41:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I used this when I briefly had blonde hair, and it does seem to help bring down any brassy tones. I'm back to red, and probably won't buy this again. However, I still have some on my shelf and decided to review it simply to warm others to use it with caution. THIS IS SUPER DRYING! ONLY USE EVERY THIRD SHAMPOO! That said, if you have gray/white or cool blond hair this is a terrific product to use in moderation to cancel out yellow/red tones.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2014 11:21:00 PM More reviews by jcdx3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

So this is my day one review of this product. Let me give you some history on my hair. It was black for about a year, then red, for about a year, now I want to be platinum blonde. Much to my disappointment i need to do the platinum a little bit at a time. Highlighting here and there and maybe bleaching out with 20vol. Which is what I did this past friday. It left me with some blonde on top (like a canary yellow..) and some peachy orange underneath.. ( the part that was the least highlighted out of all. So i went and grabbed this today to try out, to try to cancel out the peach and yellow.. Heres what I did..

1st wash) Shampoo with Shimmer lights twice. On the second rinse, leave in hair for 5 min. I followed up with Malibu Reconstructive masque and a nice conditioner..

Still looked pretty yellow to me:(

2nd wash) I applied Shimmer lights straight from the bottle.Yup no water just purple shampoo ( which also meant I used a lot..) I did use a tiny bit of water to help emulsify the shampoo to move around a bit. i left it in for 10 minutes and rinsed.

I had way less yellow but some muted violet highlights...

So finally I did a 3rd wash) No shimmer lights but just my Sebastian drench shampoo and conditioner..

I am way lighter and way less yellow and peach! there is still a little bit left but hey.. Im happy. the smell does linger but its not horrible. definitely old person-ish but if it works without damaging my hair any more than it can take at the moment.. who cares :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by SaraMichelle91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a licensed cosmetologist, and I use Paul Mitchell color in the salon. I used to get the Paul Mitchell Platinum Blonde toning shampoo from my color representative. It smelled nice and worked good as a daily shampoo for blonde hair. I would not say it ever worked great wonders for when my hair turned brassy however, only slightly yellow. Recently I purchased this Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo because my co-workers and myself use it at the salon, so I figured I would try it out on my own hair. The smell doesn't really bother me like it seems to with a lot of people. I feel like a lot of people definitely over exaggerate when talking about the smell. It is just a stronger floral scent for crying out loud! (lol) I got mine at Cosmoprof so it was a bit cheaper than Sally's so still a pretty good price for the amount I got. I recently went back to light blonde from a medium brown color and it was a rough process since my hair pulls a lot of warmth. I just did a high lift root touch-up on my out growth and knew it would pull slightly brassy(which it did.) I only used the Shimmer Lights shampoo twice since doing the high lift and already see a huge difference. I am figuring that after a few more times of using it, my roots will be where I want them to be at since the Paul Mitchell toner did not work as it is meant for bleached hair only (I was really only testing it out to see if it would do anything.) You do have to be careful when using this because it can tint your hair purple, but it will wash out within one or two washes if that does happen. The only Con I have is that it is slightly drying but I deep condition my hair often anyhow so have not had a problem with that! I would have given it 5 "lippies" but since it is a bit drying, I had to take one away.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2014 4:07:00 PM More reviews by niftypineapple914

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have thick, naturally jet black hair. I have extensive balayage which has added a significantly light brown/golden overlay. If anyone's colour is going to alter, go brassy, or fade, its mine, my natural hair is just soooo black. I LOVE this shampoo. My colour lasts literally 5months before I can even think of retouching. I last had a dye job in the beginning of November, its now end of end of April and I'll be waiting at least 6 more weeks.
Great product, I love the unique smell and intense purple shade. Use max 1x a week.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2014 6:59:00 PM More reviews by VerniePie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a great purple shampoo for us blondes to remove any of those nasty yellow or brassy tones that we can get in our hair. Purple on the color wheel is the opposite of yellow and will therefore counteract it. I have been bleaching my hair blonde for years and even though I use a good toner after I bleach after a week or two those ugly brassy tones begin appear and this shampoo is a great to just freshen your blonde and keep it its brightest and whitest especially for my platinum blonde hair. There are other cheaper drug store purple shampoos (Jhirmack is one and I think Pantene makes one) but those don't seem to work as well for me so I'll gladly pay the extra money for Clairol Shimmer Lights.

Personally I would not recommend using this product more than once a week, it is a very harsh shampoo and can be very drying on the hair especially if your hair is bleached. Also your hair can end up turning purple or gray if you use this too often which is definitely not cute if that's not the look you're going for. If your hair is bleached I recommend using a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner as your regular shampoo and conditioner (I use Nexxus Humectress or for a cheaper alternative Suave Humectant) and I would also deep condtion your hair at least once a week (I alternate between Queen Helene Cholesterol and Aussie 3-Minute Moist, both pretty cheap and they work great!) I would also recommend using a protein treatment at least once a month to add strength and resilience back to your hair (I use Joico K-pak reconstructor, pricey but worth every penny) I would only use the Shimmer Lights once a week or less or just use it as needed if you notice any brassiness returning to your hair.

Some people use this product as a toner and just keep repeatedly washing their hair with this to get rid of gold and yellow tones after bleaching, I personally do not recommend that because this shampoo is extremely drying and it is going to take forever to get the yellow out, I recommend using a good toner after bleaching such as Wella Color Charm in color T18. This product should just be used as a refresher once a week or a couple times per month, but it does work like a charm!