October 23, 2014 | 1157 users online

Treatments (Eye) - Dr. Hauschka - Eye Contour Day Cream

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2013 4:36:00 PM More reviews by isseymiyake

As some reviewers described, this does look/feel like a lip balm - a hard waxy lip balm with a wonderful smell. When applied to the eye area, this eye balm moistures the delicate skin really really well. HOwever, i find it never get absorbed into the skin, not even after hours. Because of this, this balm will keep the skin well moisturized ( works a lot better than many $100+ eye creams). However, it also makes your undereye area look shiny, and does not work well with makeups. For this reason, I use it mainly as a night cream, or when i know i am going to stay home without any makeups.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 6:00:00 AM More reviews by LolaStar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I rated this as expensive, but in reality I got it at work for 49 cents on staff super clearance (I work at a drugstore) so I can hardly complain about the price. I think when my pot runs out in going to have to splurge to get another, because this stuff is amazing! I have had a break out of psoriasis on my right eyelid every winter for years, and nothing makes it go away except time. That was until I tried this! I just picked it up because it was there really, nothing I thought I needed or wanted. But after only 4 days use my eye is only a little dry, not the red scaly mess it was last week. It's so unbelievable I could cry, I have tried SO MANY creams and lotions and medications for my psoriasis, and having no success and a scaly red face gets depressing. The secret is in the rich emollient wax balm, which protects and soothes the eye area immensely. Much better than a water based cream! If this fixed my dark circles too, well, it would be my miracle. I'll update if I see a change, but even so this gets a top rating from me!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Sensitastic

Great protective balm for moisturizing in the winter and reducing wrinkles. This eye balm has a thick balm texture that doesn't absorb very easily making it not totally hassle-free (reason why I took out one star). But it really does a wonderful job at moisturizing and protecting my delicate eye area during the cold NYC windy winter months. For a very thorough review check out my blog: www.sensitastic.blogspot.com

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2013 8:25:00 AM More reviews by FloralPTN

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I have a good impression of this product and am using the second pot. I bought it in Germany at the price of 21Euros so price wise it is ok for me.
After using it, the skin around my eyes became soft and supple, although it feels a bit greasy but what impresses me is that I never got fatty cloggs.

While it does the same job as many other brands' eye cream, the ideal of the brand is promoting ethical contact with environment and following the nature, that is probably why I have a better feeling toward it.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2013 3:25:00 AM More reviews by aidenraine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am living abroad so I paid more than the usual fortune to get this. But the air is so dry during the winter in Tokyo, that I was pretty desperate. I had developed a lot of eczema around my eyes, and was looking like a pretty big fright. So, I thought I'd try this balm only at night first but it wasn't really doing much other than making my eye area greasy. It actually made the eczema sting a bit too. I still really wanted to make it work, so I decided to try it during the day, and suffer through the shiny greasy eyes all day long.The stuff just didn't absorb well into my skin; my glasses would often have Vaseline-like streaks on them.

After a month of daily use, nothing had changed with the dryness and eczema around my eyes, so I am going to have to re-purpose this stuff as cuticle oil/heel and elbow balm I suppose. Am having a lot of luck with Burts' Bees new Intense Moisture line, actually.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2012 3:30:00 AM More reviews by mimi82

So this is really expensive.. but I'm on my 2nd or 3rd pottle so I keep going back for more! Smells like honey and yummy natural ingredients. I find creams soak in and disappear too quickly but this lasts a lot longer. It is waxy so not that great when you want heavier eye makeup to stay put. I use Clinique all about eyes when I wear more eye makeup as that soaks in. It says only for day use but I love this for night when I don't care that my eyes look a bit greasy.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2011 10:42:00 PM More reviews by rnancy

I am skeptical of eye creams... I am not sure if you really need them. I tried a sample of this one and although it felt nice, I didn't really see any differences. When I saw the price per ounce I thought.... nope, sorry.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/21/2011 12:09:00 PM More reviews by wildone

I really wanted to like this product, but it stung my skin a little after application. I have very sensitive skin under my eyes though. I love that the ingredients are non-toxic and high quality; that is why I gave it two lips. it wasn't cheep, and I didn't want to throw it away, so I gave it to my mom.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2011 1:47:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Warning: will wax eloquent about, well, wax. This stuff is actually actively good. I am surprised, shocked, bemused, and mystified.* I'd dismissed Dr.H's balm out of hand for years as just overhyped repackaged lipbalm. I've used lipbalms as undereye creams, including the Dr.H one; and I've been using straight-up shea butter for some time.

I should add, though, that I'm not convinced this stuff works better than shea butter; which is cheaper (my usual=L'Occitane refined).

What was I thinking? Decided to try this out, on a whim. Splurging a refund (once I'd done virtuous things like upping monthly charity donations for the next year, and treated myself to some fancier-than-usual chocolate). Skin in good condition at the moment, been stable for a while, so I reckoned it was time to play around and risk messing it up. I started the experiment just before blossom/pollen season struck, so I've also been able to see how this new stuff coped with challenging circumstances.

The Eye Contour Day Cream is a waxy balm in a pot. 10g worth. Very little is needed: rub between fingertips, pat around the eye--underneath, orbital bone, round to the outer corners, any other dry areas--then pat in. Texture-wise, slightly lighter and finer than shea butter, though without being drier (ex. compare grapeseed oil to olive). Sinks in fast. Doesn't need to be topped up during the day.

I'm using the Eye Contour over rosehip seed oil; during the day, under sunscreen. I rarely wear makeup under my eyes, but when I do (a concealer) it sits well on top. Mascara doesn't migrate (though I'm using waterproof anyway, so not usually an issue). Disobeying Dr. H's finger-wagging, using this morning and night: though just a teeny tiny bit at night, and slightly more in the morning. My skin is dry, dries out at night, and definitely needs at least some moisture then (yes, I've tried the full rhythmic thingie; did not work for me, sorry).

Results to report: no irritation, no clogs, no milia. Skin is moist. Skin is very comfortable. No issues with stuff migrating into eyes, even overnight, and resulting in irritation, swelling, soreness, stinging, etc. But this was also true of other eye creams, and of shea butter, which is considerably cheaper.

Huge pro: those crusty bits I usually get under my left eye--no idea why this hits one eye worse than they other--in allergy/hayfever season ARE NOT THERE. Gone. What usually happens: my eyes water and my skin (around the eyes) gets itchy; then eyes water over skin right under the eyes; liquid dries to crust; this then gets red and itchy, and pulls on the surrounding skin, then dries out more and gets flaky. So on a bad day there's irritation and inflammation and dryness, then the same again layered on top. I'd tried plenty balms to try to get round this problem, including good old Vaseline, and this stuff works the best so far. In that I am crust and flake free. I also take antihistamines and wear sunglasses at this time of year. Otherwise, I love spring, I do.

Eczema had returned a while back, then calmed down, and my eyelids are still a little flaky. Any emollient does at least a temporary patch-job of sticking down the flakies. Eye Contour did that too, but then when I washed my face--being careful as usual not to rip off flaky bits (raw skin is neither visually pleasing not pleasant to live with)--found the flakes are more than temporarily stuck down. This didn't happen overnight; difference observed after three nights.

Another pro, some might call it major: Little undereye lines are gone. Yes, I try not to obsess, but I am vain and I don't like seeing those little lines... though they would appear to be dehydration lines, I'm guessing, as they wouldn't disappear this fast (or at all) with just a topical emollient, if they were permanent wrinkles. Only solutions for them being the classics of retinaldehydes and surgery. But: these lines are gone. Skin just feels smooth and comfortable. Not greasy, but normal. That is very welcome at any time, and particularly at this time of year.

Packaging: small pot/jar with screw-top lid. Really the only way of dispensing thick waxy balms, to the best of my knowledge. Hygiene quibbles? Wash your hands before poking finger into it.

Cons (jar aside): other things (ex. shea butter) do the same job as well and are cheaper. I'm not sufficiently convinced to swear that I'd buy the Dr.H balm religiously. Indeed (update: 2011-05) broke jar when travelling, have replaced it with a return to shea butter.

CAD45.00-50.00 depending on supplier. Like all Dr.H stuff, cruelty-free. Not vegan, due to the beeswax. The little pot should last a good long time. While pricey, it's a lot cheaper than doctor appointments, prescriptions, and the expense of experimenting with stuff that doesn't work. Count me a hesitant convert, albeit remaining sceptical and suspicious, and a convert for all the wrong reasons: pragmatic and rational, rather than belief.**

INGREDIENTS: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Arachis Hypogaea (Peanut) Oil, Beeswax/Cera Flava, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Anthyllis Vulneraria Extract, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter, Hypericum Perforatum (St. John'swort) Extract, Silk/Serica Powder, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Leaf Extract, Fragrance/Parfum (Essential Oil), Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Eugenol, Farnesol, Lecithin.

* Emphasizing: I don't mystify easily: being a sceptical sort, capable of reading ingredient lists, and having some scientific knowledge and basic training...

** Rhythmic, bio-rhythmic, biodynamic, and other holistic assorted beliefs and practices and cultivation and production methods continued >>

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2011 6:09:00 AM More reviews by trayw86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the best eye balm ever for me, its the only thing that can calm my eyes down when they flair up. Unfortunately my eyes react quite badly to most face cleansers I try to use for my acne prone skin, my doctor says its dermatitis of the eye and I'll get it every time something irritates the delicate eye area. So, back to the balm, it calms the redness and itching down quickly and returns my eyes back to normal within a day, no other eye creams or anything have been able to help instead they only cause the skin around my eye area to flare up worse, by itself without the balm my eyes take 2 weeks+ to heal. I've also found if I put on a bit thickly just on the outer corners of my eye that it lasts a whole shift (nursing - in aircon,in humid bathrooms, sweating, u get the idea). I've currently run out and am hanging on my new order to hurry up and arrive I love this stuff so much. This stuff is expensive, though I can find it cheap on ebay.