April 19, 2014 | 1753 users online

Lotions/ Creams - O'Keeffe's Working Hands

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 7:29:00 PM More reviews by CobraRose

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm actually reviewing this on behalf of my husband. He is always gardening, doing carpentry, woodworking, etc., and his fingers crack and bleed, especially in winter--but he hates the feel of lotions and creams. His daughter gave him a jar of this for Christmas. He saw improvement after the first use, and the "dry" texture makes it the only such product he doesn't mind using. If he applies it once or twice a day, his hands stay in good shape. He intends to keep it on hand (pun unintentional) now.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 9:34:00 AM More reviews by Spazzy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

hands down AMAZING. ive got a 10 month old...so constantly washing my hands, bottles, etc really does a number on my hands. not to mention the coldest winter in a long time doesnt help. i put this on every night, my hands, feet and elbows. ive even used it on my lips at night! no more problems with skin cracking. the only difference ive been able to find between the hand creme and the foot one is the foot one contains more of the one moisturizer. it might seem expensive for a small jar, but you only need a little bit so it lasts for quite awhile. i will keep buying this!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by makeup2000

This winter has been horrible, and yet my hands have not cracked and bled thanks to Working Hands. When I get out of the shower I moisturize myself with a general runny lotion (Vaseline Total Moisture), and then I sparingly rub Working Hands into the backs of my hands and fingers. If you use too much it feels like you are wearing a clamy rubber glove. It seems to seal in and protect my hands, but it worked best when I had pre-moisturized my them.

Pros:
- no more cracked bloody hands in the winter
- scent-free (at least mine was)

Cons:
- must use sparingly
- often leaves unattracitve white residue on my hands
- doesn't "feel" luxurious

This is a utilitarian product that I got at a hardware store. It prevents cracking, but it isn't a nice feeling moisturizer. I haven't completely decided if I will get it again. I usually use Eucerin's big tub of moisturizing creme, but I wanted to try something less expensive. Eucerin makes my hands feel nicer overall, but they both prevent cracking. I sometimes use Eucerin on my face, but I would only use this on my hands. I think this product is okay, but my husband doesn't like it. It seems to be working better for me. I got it on sale for $5.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2014 5:04:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Very thick and moisturizing but not at all greasy. It's also fragrance free. I found this at Home Depot. I do not have any cracks in my hands, so I cannot commend on how or if this heals.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2013 11:52:00 AM More reviews by alliebeth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

After I had 3 cracks in my thumb from dry skin, I decided I needed a heftier lotion/cream for winter. I had been using Cerave Lotion, for reference. When I saw this product, I remembered its awesome MUA rating and snatched it up.

After warming it up and rubbing it into my hands before bed, especially that thumb, I expected progress in the morning. However, my hands felt clammy/sweaty all night. I also noticed they had what felt like a fine grit in the coating on them. When I washed them (before inserting my contacts), my hands were super dry and rough, especially my fingertips.

At this point, I decided to read what exactly fellow MUAers had said. I found another review referencing the clammy/sweaty sensation. Validation is good. But most people also had found this to be their go-to hand cream.

I tried it two more nights, but the same story continued--Clammy/sweaty coated sensation with a gritty edge, still parched (powder-dry to the touch) and rough in the am after washing my hands with a gentle, moisturizing handsoap.

Finally, I had to accept that--since this product claims to help adjust the pH of your skin--my hands aren't needing this specifically to improve their dryness. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 3:23:00 AM More reviews by kathijr

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This an excellent product for dry hands. I've tried different hand creams for decades and nothing works like O'Keefe's. The other reviewer who was so negative obviously received an expired or spoiled product from Drugstore.com (shame on you Drugstore.com!) and should have contacted the company for a refund. This product has no fragrance and feels very soft and healing on dry skin. Of course, not every product is for every person and there may be some people who have a sensitivity to it. All I can say is that I've used a very wide of different hand and skin creams for my problem hands (including 100% natural and organic) and nothing works like this product. It is worth a try and I'm sure that O'Keefe's would stand behind their product and issue a refund if it wasn't for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2013 11:32:00 AM More reviews by xenobia1968

I bought this for the hubby and his cracked fingertips. He loves it so that makes it a winner ;-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 8:42:00 AM More reviews by jen1103

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This really works to keep dry winter skin at bay. My hands are so much better after using this at night. Even my husband's horrific dry scratchy hands are soft now. Great stuff. Better than any other hand cream I've tried! No scent and not greasy. Wish it came in a tube though. It's difficult to get out of the tub.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2013 11:42:00 PM More reviews by oliviachloe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I would call this a hand treatment more than a hand cream. This product contains urea, which is a healing ingredient meant to soften the skin. While I have the product on, my hands have a sticky, slightly waxy feeling. It doesn't seem to bother my skin while it's on, but according to the package, it is normal to have "mild stinging of damaged skin." To be fair, if I happened to be sensitive to it, I don't think I'd continue to use it. I can't smell any scent at all--it's completely scentless to my nose.

So, the thing is, it doesn't feel really good when it's on, because I'm used to hand creams making my hands feel slippery and moist. But I try to leave it on for a while, and then I wash my hands. This makes my skin feels so soft. I felt a noticeable softness after the first use.

I still use other hand creams after my O'Keefe's "treatment," but I am happy that I added this product to my routine. I work with my hands, and wash them a lot throughout the day, so I am always trying new hand creams in search of the perfect one. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't use it, and I keep using this one. Please note--I am certainly not a ringer for the company that makes this (see review below.)

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2013 1:12:00 AM More reviews by BeachParadise

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this for someone for their birthday after reading all of the positive reviews on here and and drugstore and amazon and through google searches but now I realize unless the review has "verified buyer" next to it most of the reviews about this product in here are probably fake from the people working at the O'Keefes company or the people writing those positive reviews got a completely different batch of cream than the one I got from drugstore.com. I should have known better, I've been buying from drugstore, amazon, ebay, delias, beauty.com, you name it I've pretty much shopped from every online store since back in 2003 maybe even before that and trust me I know how to pick the good products at this point.
Let me start off by saying I only bought this in order to get free shipping from drugstore and thought it would be nice extra birthday gift for someone, I'm not even upset that the product doesn't work because it was on sale for $5 and cheap but I'm angry at the fake positive reviews because if any of the people who raved about this product used the product I received in the mail there is NO way they liked it. From the outside when I opened the big brown drugstore box I was pleasantly surprised that there was so much product for a cheap price but once the actual cream packaging was opened (I watched the birthday person open it) I asked to take a whiff because the packaging on the back it says NO SCENT so due to curiosity since all of my lotions and shampoos and creams have scents (pleasant ones) I wanted to take a sniff to see if it really was unscented and as I took a sniff I was shocked at the horrific smell of... HAIR DYE CHEMICALS AND BLEACH!

Seriously how can anyone claim that this product is unscented unless you all don't have noses this chemical concoction REEKS of ammonia and bleach, and when applied it leaves this really strange rubber film on your hands like if dishwashing gloves were turned into a lotion, and when you rub your finger against the lotion on your hands after applying it, it literally squeaks!! This stuff is horrible we threw it right in the trash can, I was so angry once again not because of the money it was only $5 most people could lose $5 from their pocket on any given day and get over it by the end of the day but I was livid because of the fake positive reviews!
Shame on you O'Keefes! and no the product did not spoil on the way to my house, it was sent via 2d day Air mail. It also caused itchy hands throughout the entire night while we were trying to sleep after we all tried it on our hands because we couldn't believe how bad the product was/is and even when applied to the hand it still smells like ammonia! I should have read the ingredients list for this product before adding it to my cart but who ever thinks that a hand cream is going to have ammonium in it and that it will reek of that chemical especially when the product clearly states that it has no scent ?! First time ever that I've come across a hand cream with ammonium in it, only other time I've smelled something like this lotion was in hair dye, ever walk by a hair salon while someone in there is getting their hair colored? That's what this product smells like!
Also for you ladies on here who have ever tried the hair dyes where the color bottle and cream/conditioner bottle are seperate (like clairol balsam hair dye) and have taken a whiff of the bottle with the coloring bleach and chemicals in it this is exactly what this working hands cream smells like.
The only claim this product lived up to is that it's non greasy. That's it. How can anyone put this in their hands much less their body? Disgusting product really disappointed and upset by the experience and this review is 100% legitimate I am a real person and giving an honest review about this horrific product. Would never ever repurchase again and I kind of my want $5 back!