September 18, 2014 | 844 users online

Eye Shadow - Christian Dior - 5 Colour Eyeshadow - Incognito 030

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by lauralately

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The five shadows in Incognito have different finishes, ranging from glitter to luminous matte. If you're looking for highly pigmented shades that show up easily, you may want to bypass this one - the dove-grey and shimmery brown have great pigmentation, but the others really don't; they serve the purpose of providing a finish to the eye, rather than providing a strong color. However, if you're fair-skinned like me, and are in search of something subtle and classy, this palette may be right up your alley. This is a palette that I regularly travel with; it's one of the most-used staples in my collection.

The bottom two shades - a taupey dove-grey and shimmery acorn brown - anchor the palette; the other three shades serve to accentuate the grey & the brown. The luminous matte ecru (upper left) doesn't show up very well on me, but it works well to blend out the deeper colors; the glittery off-white shade (upper right) doesn't have a ton of glitter, but it is nice for an inner corner highlight with a gentle kick. I am currently loving the shade in the center; this color is hard to describe, but if you own Patina by MAC, I'd say the center shade in Incognito is a pink like Patina is a bronze: pale, subtle, multi-dimensional, and more glowing than shimmery.

If the price is too steep for your tastes, try Wet 'n' Wild Walking On Eggshells - the brown in that palette is similar to the brown in Incognito. I haven't found anything remotely like the other shades in the palette, but if I do, I'll update.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2013 6:16:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

This is a beautiful eyeshadow palette by Dior. My third "investment" piece, I love Dior shadows as they are superb quality and timeless in terms of their color. This is meant to be a "neutral" palette. The colors range from a creamy off white to a pinkish more matte-like tone to a darker almost coppery brown. There is also a very pretty silvery shade with an almost lilac finish to it. I have brown eyes and am about at NC20-25 and this palette works well for me. I think it especially effective is used with a little Fix+ to foil the shadows. This makes the colors even more vivid and makes them pop more on the lids. I reduced my overall rating slightly because I admit that without foiling these the shadows can be a bit too ... neutral - and are without a true matte. But honestly, I have had existing dior palettes for years and still use and love them. Over time, the colors stay true and timeless so worth the initial cost.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 2:10:00 AM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I received this in a swap from a lovely MUAer after lusting after it for a long time, and I'm not disappointed. The palette contains four great neutrals--a white (great for the inner corner of the eye), a yellow/gold, a grey, and a utterly beautiful brown. The peach shade in the center is just so-so, but makes a great base for the brown shadow. These look very frosty in the pan, but look mildly, flatteringly shimmery on the lid--very kind to aging eyes. They apply incredibly smoothly, and you can get anything from a very sheer, casual look to all-out glam depending on what kind of applicator you use. I'm finding that brushes give a gossamer-to-medium intensity, while the sponge-tipped applicators in the compact (which I normally loathe) work great, given the texture of the shadows, for a more dramatic look. I agree that those with a medium or darker complexion may be displeased with these, but for my light-to-light-medium skin, they're perfect. Great quality, great shades, great application--what more can you ask? This palette is also great for traveling because you can get such diverse looks from it. I would repurchase this gem without a second thought.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Duplicate alert below. While these are a lovely set of both cool & warm neutrals I found duplicates for all the useable shades in equal or better quality except the peach center one. That just takes a swipe of good blush or bronzer.

Lovely compact. Unlike a lot of reviews I really like the little foam applicators. You can quickly apply a good amount then use a soft brush to blend & polish it.

The shadow texture is lovely. They are sheer enough so pale skin will look good in these but darker skin tones may be disappointed.

I take a mark off for the useless peach matte shadow in the center. When I pay this much I want to use everything up! However it can be useful as a peach tone blush if applied via fingertips. Desert island type option only!

Looking to the left you see an upper shadow in a matte camel beige shade that melts into the eyelid without any chalkiness. This is the hardest to duplicate.

On the lower left is a warm cinnamon bronze shade in a shimmer. I get a bit of a bruised & tired look from this one. MAC Patina is similar but far nicer on the skin. No bruised tired look. These are the "warm" shades.

On the right upper corner there is a wonderful satiny champagne ivory satin highlight for brow bone, tear duct area and inner corners. Completely neutral it will go with the camel beige matte for a warm neutral eye look or with the taupe satin below it for a cool neutral eye look.

That final shadow on the lower right is a beautiful taupe satin. It doesn't pull purple as many taupes do. It can look quite silvery on the eyelid without going too cool or frosty. The right side shadows work for a cool toned neutral eye duo.

I won't buy these again because I found dupes for my favorite shades in equal if not a bit better quality for a lot cheaper.

The camel shade is similar to the much cheaper matte shadow Earthly Taupe by Maybelline in the Expert Wear singles. ET pulls a little more peach while the Dior shade stays on the yellow side of beige. Spend a bit more at Estee Lauder for the single Sandbar Beige for an exact match in colour & texture.

For the bronze shimmer on the lower left look at MAC Patina for a far nicer shadow. Mink or the darker Brown Smolder by Cover Girl singles are far cheaper and quite close to this shade.

The right side shadows are exact matches in Clinique. Clinique's Champagne single is a match for the top creamy ivory highlight shade. Chanel's Lotus & MAC Shroom are quite similar too. For a really good cheap version Cover Girl singles in French Vanilla is very nice and amazingly close in look and texture.

Look at Clinique's duo Double Date for the light satiny taupe shade. Plus in the duo Clinique has a darker silvery taupe that is quite useful for shading. For a LOT less look at Cover Girl Tapestry Taupe. Same shade but a touch more shimmer.

Because of these Clinique & Maybelline shadows I won't bother spending more for Dior.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2012 11:22:00 AM More reviews by nomadjan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I finally hit the pan of my last Incognito and just repurchased today, despite the 50+ euro price tag.That speaks volumes. Absolutely beautiful neutral tones with a silky texture. HG.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2012 3:37:00 PM More reviews by slc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love Dior shadows -- they are so silky. I've been wearing this palette all summer long. It's a nice collection of 5 neutral shades that look great alone or mixed together. White, gold, peachy, brown, and a sort of silvery-brown if that makes sense. Great day-time look, and for night I add a more vibrant liner and I'm good to go.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2012 3:36:00 PM More reviews by Triscuits

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

PROS:
1. Packaging, a beautiful navy/black/blue holographic plastic case with silver trim. A good-sized mirror inside. This comes with a clear plastic tray covering to slip over the shadows while put away so the mirror stays clean inside the case. Also comes with an uninteresting navy velvet pouch that has "CD" on it, the pouch is really nothing special, it's just a protector to keep the compact from getting scratched.
2. Shadows don't crease until at least 6+ hours on me.
3. 4 of the 5 colors are really unique, high quality, buttery, and have dimension. (exception being the top right white color, see cons)
4. This Palette is meant to be a "your lids but better" palette, hence the name "incognito".

CONS:
1. While the top left and middle colors are interesting, they are subtle duochromes, and pretty sheer, which combined with the subtle duochrome they tend to look blotchy as eyelid or crease colors because of the way the light hits them and the lack of pigmentation. The colors only work on me for blending a crease color or as brow highlight colors. If used alone as either a lid or crease color it appears patchy and kind of dry-scaly looking. The middle color makes my lids appear quite puffy also because of the way the light hits it.
2. While these colors are the best I've used as far as not creasing, 4 of the 5 shades in this palette (aside from upper right) do this weird thing of transferring from my eyelid not long after application to where my lid touches my brow bone skin, which makes it look like I applied shadow to my lid in a really stupid way (even though I didn't). I've never had any shadow do this before, and the result of this transfer is very annoying and ugly and obvious on my lids, and is hardly "incognito." Creasing would be preferable to this.
3. The upper right 'color', isn't a color. It's chunky sharp-edged icy glitter in the medium of a translucent powder, it's stupid and cheap looking and the sharp chunky glitter gets everywhere except the place where you attempt to apply it. It belongs in a dollar store 1/2 -off bin. the kind of bin that's out on the sidewalk outside the dollar store because the shop doesn't care if people steal it because that's how much they want to get rid of the items in the bin. Just awful, CD should be ashamed.
4. The only warm color is the bottom left brown color, and it's a little too shimmery/sparkly for my taste but the color is very flattering on my warm skin.
5. Not a single one of these colors is matte. the top left and middle colors are satin finish duochromes, the top left is more matte than the middle color, but all colors in this palette have some shimmer, glitter, or sparkles.

From most sparkly to least:
Top right white color is nothing but glitter.
Bottom left brown color is a glittery sparkly shimmer.
Bottom right grey color is a shimmer, no chunky sparkles or chunky glitter.
Middle pink color is a duochrome satin/shimmer
Top left beigy color is a duochrome satin/matte.

I wouldn't repurchase this palette again because it's mostly cool toned, because of the transfer problem, and not a single color is matte and the most matte colors in the palette are way too sheer and have terrible pigmentation. The top right color I hate, but if the rest of the shadows were bomb I could over look it.
I don't recommend "Incognito"

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2012 4:26:00 PM More reviews by LuHu82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This selection of shades is perfect for my colouring (NC20, dark blonde + highlights, dark brown eyes). I am a fan of neutral eyes and this palette does the job beautifully, great texture, easy application & great staying power (with UD eyeshadow PP). For a more evening look, i use the brown shade with a coppery pencil liner & brown mascara. Understated, sophisticated and "done".

I'm sure you could replicate these shades from cheaper brands or in singles from other brands, but tbh, the quality is so good here and the shades are so 'right' for my needs that I'm happy to pay the extra for the fabulous compact.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2012 7:33:00 PM More reviews by mrroww

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

A quality pallet flattering for fair to medium skin tones and any which eye colour. The shadows are creamy smooth making it easy to apply and the colour selection is very forgiving. You can choose to go natural with the neutral shades given or smokey depending how heavily you apply the darker shades. Non-creasing, highly pigmented and long lasting, this is my go to eyshadow.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2011 7:09:00 AM More reviews by lauracrua

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love the texture of these shadows, they are all nice and creamy and apply well. The pigmentation is fairly weak with these shadows but they build up and blend nicely so they're fine for everyday wear. I usually use my UD primer potion underneath and they last all day.
The most disappointing colour in the palette is a white with chunks of glitter. This is the chalkiest of the shadows and the glitter ends up all over my face when i use it.