September 2, 2014 | 1628 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Face Powder

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2014 12:29:00 AM More reviews by Doodleses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

On the eve of my switching to liquid foundations from BB creams (this was back in 2011, 2012) I figured that I needed to set the foundation with a powder and I decided to give this one a try. Warning: the powder will give you a white cast if you pat it on with the puff in the compact -- I would remedy this with buffing it in with a flat-top brush. All was well. (Except maybe in photos. Hello ghost face!)

Until... a few days later from my initial use I had an aggressive amount of zits ALL over my face. ZITS, EVERYWHERE. Sure I had the occasional time-of-month hormone pimple (specifically on my forehead, though) but dear god, it's like this powder activated my adult acne cycle. It gave me a whelping of cystic acne: the worst kind that you don't want to bother with--ever.

My skin type is sensitive, dry/normal, and I've never been prone to acne before... but after experimenting with this and a combination of another low-end drugstore bronzer from e.l.f., I think I'll be sticking to products I know won't attack me with comedones, blackheads, and pimples. Ugh.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2014 7:44:00 PM More reviews by ceebee90

This stuff is AMAZING. Get the translucent shade and press it on with a velour puff over your foundation. It mattes the skin and looks UTTERLY natural. This isn't just a great product for the price, it's a great product, period. The kind of quality you rarely find in a drugstore powder. Perfect for touch-ups. Only downside is staying power, but like I said, just throw it in your purse and touch up when needed. You can touch up over and over, and it'll never looks caked on or unnatural. It looks like your skin but better, and isn't that all we want?

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2013 5:04:00 PM More reviews by xomakeup4ever

The color selection is horrible, so I picked one up way lighter than my normal shade. It's dusty and chalky and is not good for people with dry skin. It kinda looks cakey. I would recommend it to people with really light skin tones.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2013 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Jessieisthebomb

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This product is perfect. I usually don't like foundation because they are too oily and look horrible on my face this product is great to put on after a bronzer to give a nice finish and over top of concealer it gives a nice silky powdery finish.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/18/2012 6:29:00 PM More reviews by Tinabear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Not very good as it made me look patchy and orange.
Just isn't a good product which is a shame.
Only purchased this as I loved the NYC mineral powder.
It can't be the way I applied it as I used the flat sponge it came with AND my own make up brush on 2 separate occasions.
will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2012 2:59:00 PM More reviews by Bombshell222

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Believe it or not, this is actually quite impressive for a cheapie powder. I've purchased it on and off over the years inbetween powder selections, or when I've needed something in a pinch. It does not break me out, and looks pretty natural on. The only complaint I would have is the limited color selection, but otherwise great buy!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2011 4:51:00 AM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

You get what you pay for with this powder. It doesn't do much for shine & after a couple hours my face is a cakey mess. I was shopping earlier when I passed a mirror & to my horror, my face was covered in whitish splotches & from where this powder had literally CLUMPED UP on my skin. I used to like this powder for some reason but not any more. Back to Maybelline for me!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/3/2011 2:26:00 AM More reviews by emilyheartsmakeup

Long story with this product and me. Long story short..
At first, I swore by this product and adored it and its amazing blemish covering!
Now, I find its chalky,cheap,bad packaging(broke 2 times),verry baddd for my skin, and makes me look orangey.. though I would still say it works wonders for covering up blemishes which is what I look for in powders and is an amazing price. Though it really does not last long and might break before then, but at times (like when I suffered of a huggeee pimple) I loved its coverage.. now I realize I need talc-free and I won't be needing much coverage then.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2011 4:09:00 PM More reviews by SpicyCurry

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I am using this in Warm Beige, because it's a great yellow based shade that isn't too light for my medium tanned skintone like the translucent shade is (that one is for pale skin only). I do not use foundation, and hate being able to see any makeup on my skin, but sadly, I have a super oily tzone, and require a powder to give me a smooth matte look. Enter this cheap little powder, smooths over pores, keeps me matte longer than any other powder I have tried, and most importantly is very sheer, so no caking or makeup is visible even up close. I use the little sponge that comes with it, because I like the way it applies the powder, and I have to touch up a lot because I'm so oily. I do think it should offer darker shades, so that every woman would be able to enjoy this cheap, and effective product. The compact is fine, I hate thick compacts that have the separate compartments and the mirror on the bottom, like so many are doing. No breakouts either! Will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2011 9:08:00 AM More reviews by cltrecartin

I have been using this product for a few years now, simply because it is inexpensive. It does not break me out, and it comes in a shade light enough to not give me an orange tint. It does have flaws, though- it can look cakey if applied with a heavy hand, and has poor lasting power. My biggest issue with it is that when applied too heavily, or applied on certain "clingy" foundations, it can form little clumps on the skin that feel like sand. They can be brushed off, and it is not visible, but it can be very irritating.

Since powder is something that I find pretty much universal, and it is so inexpensive, I will buy it again.

I am not a complete makeup-fiend, so I accept it for what it is- a budget product I can use every day, with occasional slight inconvenience.