Mattese Shadow Dust

on 11/16/2012 12:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I saw this line at Ricky's while shopping for colors that were ACTUALLY intense, since a few years ago they werehard to come by, and fell in love with Queen. I went back for Violet (I don't even see that one on google anymore). The colors are just amazing. It's like MAC's little sister. Actually, I think the sales girl said they are sister companies. Anyway, I've never seen color like these before. Super rich, pigmented, shimmery and fine. When I got them they were $10 each, and they last forever.

Here's the issues and the reason I didn't give a 5.
First: Package design. The package was designed so that there is a bottom reservoir that's supposed to contain the shadow and then a plastic internal diaphragm with a few holes that are intended to release the product slowly by tapping or shaking. However, it ends up pretty much 100% on top of that internal piece as soon as you get home and stays there. I used to try to shake it back down but I quit. (Think L'Oreal Bare Narurales design, which does actually go back down) It doesn't matter much anyway, and I believe they have since changed the packing, BUT it does also seep out of the crack between the lid and jar and gets suppper messy and wasteful. Now they seem to be in MAC style jars, but I have this version, and so I have this ones problems.

Secondly, and I don't know if this is any different since changing the packaging: the application isn't flawless. It can actually be hard to get it to stay ON your lids. I don't usually have this problem with ANY shadow. I use a cream base and it works 99% of the time, but this line can be finicky. (I will try with an 'official' primer, but idk if it will change). Once you get it ON to your intensity, you will notice a lot of fallout and will have to get it off. That's quite hard. It's very iridescent and the colors are deep so you do notice it. But once it's on, it's ON and is intense as anything. So to me it's worth it. And not much that's this much of a hassle is worth it!

on 9/3/2009 2:34:00 PM

I bought the shadow dust in Virgin ( a sliver white high pigment glitter) and it was quite expensive, maybe more than $7? cus the color is comparable to loreal h.i.p which is really pigmented. I just didn't like how so much go down on ur cheekbones and hard to wash off with just water. Would definitey try other color if it weren't for the price. I bought it at Ricky's in Manhatten (New Yokk)

on 8/27/2009 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I bought two of these, one in Queen, and one in Cocoa Kiss. I haven't had time to test Cocoa Kiss yet, so this review will be for Queen. It's a mermaid aqua, very shimmery. Without primer, and dry, the shadow has very little color payoff, but gives you a beautiful sheer sheen of underwater-like blue. Wet, the color payoff is great, and shines like no other.

on 6/17/2008 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I got this product in a Perfumemania - was suprised to see makeup there. I purchased a shade called Fabulous, which is a sheer and fantastically (or fabulously ;) sparkly black/grey shade. It's really quite spectacular when dusted over a regular matte smokey eye. A tiny bit goes a long way, and you get a lot in this little container.

I also got a shade called Pookster which is an EXACT dupe of MAC's highly treasured Old Gold pigment.

All in all these are great - I want to find some more of them to buy.

I got this in 'Goldfish' from my local Urban Groove in Northern New Jersey. Found this in the clearance bin, bought it along with an unlisted brand blush both for $10.00, so it was $5.00. Goldfish has a base color of a mustard yellow-orange, when applied also shimmers a pale pink. Applies sheer, not matte. Pretty snazzy as a highlight or for a daytime color.

on 7/11/2004 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I got this in Cosmo (plummy taupe/brown color w/bright gold sheen) from the Ricky's website, and I love it! Super soft & has a fantastic metallic shimmer. My only complaint is that the powder adheres to itself and it's a pain to try to get it to head back down through the sifter if you get too much out. I took off a lippie for that...otherwise, great stuff!

on 3/21/2003 8:59:00 PM

I don't own this but tried a sample of this in the store (only available @ Ricky's NYC) I LOVE this will go 2morrow and buy some. So similiar to MAC pigments and MUFE. Highly suggest for you to give this a try!.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have this in psychedelic, which sounds more extreme than it is. It goes on a pale flesh tone nut shine and shimmer pale purples. Looks fantastic in the evening espeacially for clubbing as it really picks up the lights. My only grip is the packaging...the loose powder tends to gather above the sieve and is then impossible to get rid of without throw some away, its a pain.

on 6/22/2001 5:14:00 AM

WOW i absolutely love this stuff!

I bought a color called splash. It's a perfect pink/gold shimmer. That's all it is. A very fine shimmer powder, absolutely irredescent and gorgeous. Goes on fabulously, does not crease and last all day or night. $10. I also got a bronze/purple one. Just absolutely fierce! SuperHighly recommended. Oh yeah, this is a dead ringer for MUFE star powder in #916