NARS Scarlett Empress

4.5

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This red is the most flattering amazing colour. I have freckles and dramatic lipstick isn't something that really works with my skintone, but this colour is magical.

Apart from the shade, it's easy to apply, if you are careful you can get away without using a liner, it feels nice on, not chalky, and it strikes a good balance between staying power and potential staining. It lasts a long time and doesn't seem to dry out in the tube, so I'm happy with the price. The packing is solid too, none of my tubes have ever cracked despite rattling around in my handbags.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone with pale skin/red hair that wants a red lipstick but can't pull off the traditional bright, orange based tones.

on 3/3/2015 1:22:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love this color and am so happy to have found Scarlet Empress after hunting for a vampy deep berry lipstick for so long. Before Scarlet Empress, I tried NARS Damned (matte velvet lip pencil), Charlotte (Audacious), and Palais Royal (satin lip pencil). My former favorite is Charlotte but Scarlet Empress is my new favorite due to the semi-matte formula. The Audacious formula has too much slip and is too high maintenance for a pigmented, dark color like Charlotte. Scarlet Empress is not nearly as pigmented but will stay put and not get on my teeth or migrate outside of my lips, which was a problem with the Audacious formula. Charlotte is a bit cooler and more pigmented while Scarlet Empress has some blue/pink tones in it. It can be layered for intensity and is overall, more forgiving.

on 12/29/2014 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

My mom purchased this lipstick for me as a Christmas gift. I was looking for a red that would look more of a deep berry color and tried this one on at Sephora and it was perfect. This is my first NARS actual lipstick. I tend to use the velvet lip pencils instead. I lined my lips with a berry lip liner from Jordana brand and I loved the result. I pre-moisturized my lips with my trusty Smith's Rosebud Salve and it lasted for about five hours. When I re-applied it I noticed it was peeling on my lips so I had to completely remove it, moisturize, re-line, and re-apply.

The best part is it is highly pigmented! It also was true to the color of the tube. It does vary it how it looks depending on your skintone, which is something to keep in mind.

Overall, I would purchase it again!

on 10/9/2014 11:51:00 PM

This is a fantastic and vampy lipstick. Goes on smoothly, wears fairly long, and is the perfect final touch for a night-time look. No complaints.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'll begin with the price. Nars lipsticks are on the pricey side but yet I always buy them because of the quality. Now... on to the important stuff...
This color is almost a near replica of Chanel's Vamp. A perfect, deep, blue based wine colour. It surpasses Vamp because of the texture. It is a great balance between a matte and creamy lipstick. This means that it's easy to apply (no need for a lip brush) yet it lasts for hours and only needs a light touch up. Because of the blue undertones, it looks great with fair, cool skin tones. Although I think because of the intense berry color, this shade could work on anyone.I will certainly buy this lippie again.

on 6/21/2014 4:40:00 PM

Beautiful blue-toned raspberry colour, perfect for autumn. I think it's very similar to MAC Rebel. I love it, very luxurious, not drying at all. Try it!

on 11/9/2013 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

To me this isn't red at all, it's a dark pink/purple color, but to each their own I guess. In dim lighting if you apply it heavily it does look sort of red. I have the exact coloring that someone below said this wouldn't work for (light yellow skin) and I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't tried it on on a whim and fallen in love. I tried to find a dupe and was not successful; similar colors are too dark, too purple or too neon or too something. It's the kind of lipstick that brightens your whole face; you don't need to wear much else. Something about it also makes your lips look really smooth and nice too (as long as they aren't chapped, it will definitely emphasize that). My only complaint is that it transfers easily, but at the same time it leaves a nice stain that lasts through eating and drinking.

At first, I didn't like the way this looked on my pale NC 20 face, then summer came around (NC 25ish) and it led to a crazy romance... It's a blue-based raspberry on me, but on my best friend it's noticeably pinker on her; SE's a complex shade that pulls different colors on different skin tones. It's a very interesting color that's not for the faint-hearted, but thank me later when you get the courage to wear it out of the house (like I did!). I love this shade so much that I replicated my hair color to sort of match it.

BTW it's "Scarlet Empress" with one T.

on 2/28/2013 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

NARS is an expensive habit, but these products are luxurious. This is a semi-matte dark red that looks fabulous on me! You must have it.

on 1/8/2011 6:53:00 PM

Whooo boy, is this the one! I tried resisting it for a year, but finally succumbed and dished the 24$. WORTH IT!! Purely matte without drying, and just a perfect color. I wouldn't call it red, it's more berry. Great for olive tones--this is THE shade for those with naturally dark lips who feel that lipsticks never show up on them (ie, my indian best friend with naturally lined lips). Definitely my favorite lipstick, even moreso than all of my [5] NARS lip stains that I thought I couldn't live without. BUY THIS!

Popular Lipsticks