October 22, 2014 | 1667 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - California

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2012 1:45:00 PM More reviews by 4patti

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently acquired California in a swap & it has been an instant love affair. I like red-dy shadows, finding them complimentary in moderation. In my case, that's the outer "v" for a striking accent color, while not too deeply placed in the crease. Its bright tone adds a pop of color that is well-pigmented, but soft enough to blend down and in with whatever you pair it with. I keep to a neutral lid when wearing it, with either a rusty, espresso, or black liner. I have even worn it with a red lip and surprisingly, it was not over-the-top, but rather complimentary ( a safe combination if you are very selective about what shade /intensity of red it's paired with). At first I thought it might look garish; and there is the possibility of overdoing it if you don't use a light hand and build its coverage (this is not a swipe and go shadow) gently. However, i can see where all the raves from blued-eyes wearers are coming from. This is a stunner, and if you feel that you can pull off red tones it's definitely worth a look.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2012 1:52:00 PM More reviews by kimmiecheeks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this last fall at sephora online when it was on a clearance sale. I just wanted to own a Nars shadow and figured this was neutral enough for me. Didn't get around to wearing until now! I watched a beauty guru use it as a liner shade after placing a bronze shadow over the entire lid. Love this look. Perfect for summer! Love to pair it was coral makeup (lips and eyes). The quality of this Nars shadow is exquisite as it should be for being pretty pricey!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2009 11:35:00 PM More reviews by junglequeenjen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received this eyeshadow as an extra in a swap. I probably never would have tried it, but I LOVE it especially on my brown eyes! It is a rusty copper-penny shade with plenty of shimmer to go around. I do not feel that this shadow is as creamy/buttery/smooth as I normally like, but it does apply evenly and stays put. I was scared of this shade because I have light skin and thought it would be too ruddy, but it's actually quite beautiful and flattering. I like this shade when i'm going for an all-out shimmer look, especially with other metallic golds and champagnes. The packaging is cute and you get a lot of product in the package.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2008 2:04:00 AM More reviews by illuminate1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this color. I would have never thought twice about it but the artist used this in my crease and it really made my brown eyes pop. I have found I can use this color someway in most all of my looks. The rust-copper color is nicely pigmented, if it were any darker I think it would be overpowering. Click continue to see pic of it in use.
continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2007 1:56:00 AM More reviews by PrincessScuzzlebutt2

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this one. Its a medium copper color. Its smooth, but slightly sheer. I wish it was more pigmented, but its a wonderful color i wear often

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2006 10:07:00 PM More reviews by Rainbowcrushed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Expensive, but ones again worth it. This coppery color is lovely and does a wonderful job of making my eyes pop!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2006 6:31:00 PM More reviews by rjez

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

It does seem bright but my skin tone is olive so it looks wonderful. I love coppery colors but need something to offset the browns.

MA used Demeracon (sp?) cream shadow first. It's a beautiful coppery brown and California on top to add highlight and brightness.

Used together, this mimics my other fave combo: LM Cognac and Truffle.

continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 3/25/2006 3:26:00 AM More reviews by asinclai

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I wish that I liked this more. The color is quite orange and I always need to tone it down/ make it more neutral with a dark brown (like MAC Espresso). I wouldn't buy this again but must admit that it makes my green eyes pop. Too bad that it's difficult to mix-and-match with the other shadows in my make-up bag.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2004 10:49:00 PM More reviews by dreamer81

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Usually, i'm not huge on reddish-ANYTHING on my eyes, but this has definately been a grande exception :) California is a lovely, shimmery reddish-rusted shade w/ bronze intwined, perfect to go w/ any bronzey shades and even straight brown eyeshadows :) THe quality COULD be better, b/c this shadow is not finely milled, but rather more chunky in texture. Still, i've never had a problem w/ working with it, makes a perfect shade to put in the outer corners of my eyes. I can imagine this shade would look *best* on tanned skin (which i am not). For reference, i am an asian, nc35 gal! :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2004 11:16:00 AM More reviews by SEAWEED

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

California is my first Nars eyeshadow, and I have to say I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it and got it off eBay. I just can't imagine how this colour would flatter anyone's eyes. I have brown eyes and medium-pale skin, and all it does is emphasise my dark circles and make me totally washed out and even more tired than normal! The colour I would describe as a gaudy, metallic ORANGE! Orange is just NOT a good make-up look, eyes, lips, anywhere!! The packaging is cute but TINY, even if I did keep this I'm sure it would be lost in a matter of weeks. The only good thing about this is the quality of the shadow - colour aside, it goes on very well and has the right amount of depth and sparkle. For that reason, I'll probably try a different Nars shadow.