October 21, 2014 | 1579 users online

Eye Shadow - Hard Candy - Eye Shadow Loner in Spacey

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2007 4:19:00 PM More reviews by cyber_showgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Personally, I thought this eyeshadow was rubbish, the biggest waste of money in my life - and that's EVEN after buying it at blinkin' half price, lol!

A bit of background: in my teens my absolute HG makeup look was nude glossy lips and really, REALLY dark but shimmering eyeshadow in great panda-like rings (hey! it was the time of Grunge, it was "in!") and so I spent a lot of time and money over the years on a personal quest for the perfect, perfect black sparkley eyeshadow.

I didn't mind spending a fair amount of cash on the Perfect Black Sparkly Eyeshadow, as long as it filled the criteria: I was looking for was something REALLY really black, budgeproof and long-wearing (I was a hard-workin', hard-partying student: I had to look good right through my daytime lectures and on into the evening, lol) and with subtle sparkles or flashes of duochrome just to modernise and pep it up a bit.

In the end, I ended up trying loads and loads of different sparkly black shadows: Urban Decay's Oil Slick (black with irridescent sparkles - OK; moulted glitter and smudged a bit - could have been blacker too), Mac's Dark Soul pigment (nice and sparkly, but not really black enough for what I wanted, more a smoky dark greenish-gray), Benefit's Hustler (another loose powder one, very black but with diamondlike shimmer; I thought I was at the end of my quest when I found this, so they promptly discontinued it of course ;-) ...... same with Urban Decay's wonderful "Gotham" cream eyeshadow, the minute I fell in love they took it off the shelves again..... etc.....)

ANYWAY. I DIGRESS. The ultimate winner in my quest for a decent-quality, high-end black sparkle shadow was Nars Night Porter, a beautiful, velvetty black with forest-green sparkle which I would recommend to anyone looking for a black with a bit of subtle sparkle (and a DEFINITE winner if, like me, you've got greenish eyes).

And the absolute worst, worst, worst black sparkly shadow I EVER bought was this one - Hard Candy's "Spacey", which - despite being a thing of great beauty in the packaging (black with sapphire glitter) - seemed to melt all over my face within minutes of application into a big gloopy mess (admittedly, a very black and very sparkly mess), no matter how I applied it - brush, sponge applicator, with or without base - it was absolutely useless, and I'd paid 7.50 (the same as a full-price Pro Pan Mac shadow!) for the damned thing!

Hesitant to throw away an eyeshadow which was had cost me so much and was so pretty, I've kept this and loaned it to two other friends to try out in the hope of getting it a new home, but neither of them have been particularly impressed with it *either*: they've both complained that it smudges too much, that the blue sparkles don't really show up, and that a lot of cheaper black eye shadows are much better.

Perhaps I got unlucky and got a "bad" shadow, but to date this is the only Hard Candy product I've ever tried, and I've no intention of ever buying another: it was THAT awful, and Hard Candy is THAT expensive over here in the UK that I'm not risking my cash again.

My recommendation to anyone looking for a densely black, long-wearing, sparkly black eyeshadow is to find a tube of Urban Decay Gotham on eBay (they still show up from time to time - VERY dense creamy black with subtle silver sparkles), or invest in one of the black Nars "Night" range of eyeshadows with metallic coloured shimmers - they're far better than this 'orrible smeary disaster. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2006 5:01:00 PM More reviews by aznanjl

very pigmented dark black w/ blue sparkles. they could have enhanced the sparkle effect, but its still very pretty for smokey eyes. a bit hard to blend, not so creamy kind of powder. but its not a biggie. its kind of hard to open sometimes but thats my only gripe.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2003 7:48:00 PM More reviews by fletch50

This is a great shadow black shadow with blue glitter. I use it to line and to create really great smokey eye looks. The blue glitter is what I think makes this product unique from the many other black shadows out there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2003 3:43:00 AM More reviews by nakobear

Spacey is a black with blue glitter shade. It's great to do a smokey eye look with and to use as a liner as well. I like the glitter in this eyeshadow because it tends to stay put unlike some of the UD shadows.