Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Moisturizing Lip Balm w/Vitamin E & Spf 15

3.3

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Octinoxate 7,5%, Oxibenzone 4,5%, Dimeticone 1,5% OTHER INGREDIENTS: Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina), Coppernicia Cerifera (carnauba) Wax, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) seed Butter, Fragrance (Parfum), Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Beta Carotene (Cl 40800), Isopropyl Myristate.

on 6/15/2015 3:25:00 AM

BEST LIP BALM EVER. This is the only lip balm I rely on, leaves my lips soft, prevents them from drying. I would repurchase it over and over again. The smell then.. Love it!!

on 6/12/2015 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I need something I can wear under my lipsticks to moisturize my lips. I use mattes which can be extremely drying. Iím not impressed with this, it did not moisturize at all and the texture felt too waxy. It has the cocoa butter scent but it doesnít linger. Iím way better off with my trusty Carmex.

on 5/30/2015 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It seems that many other people have had similar experiences to mine but I thought I would talk about it here anyway just to really emphasize how problematic this product is. I also had some sort of bizarre allergic reaction to this and it took me a while to realize this lip balm was causing it (I use a lot of various chapsticks interchangeably which made it hard to determine what the source of the reaction was). I believed for a while that I was just allergic to mangoes but I've finally determined that this chapstick was causing a horrible horrible reaction. It tingled on my lips with every application but I thought that was just part of how it worked. It did thoroughly moisturize my lips when I used it but a day later my lips broke out in little bumps everywhere. They somewhat itched and burned, but not overwhelmingly, but it was just gross. They were not super visible but I could feel them constantly and it took a full week to recover from this reaction when it happened (after I realized the lip balm was causing it and I threw it away for good). The bumps were like blisters, and eventually popped like blisters on my lips (really really gross, I know) and then my lips were just dead for a few days. The skin was healing and sloughing off to recover so my lips were just awfully dry and chapped (ironically the exact thing the lip balm is supposed to take care of).

It seems to be the oxybenzone ingredient in this lip balm causing this reaction, and it's added to provide SPF. I would say most people should really stay far away from this product...I don't typically react to anything so I was surprised this caused an allergic reaction. Bottom line, there are better lip balms out there that will not risk this at all so just don't take the risk of trying this one!

on 5/14/2015 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I have been using this lip balm for the past week or so now, and can say it hasn't done much to my lips yet at all. The consistency is very thin and so I am constantly finding myself reapplying the balm as often as every 10-15 minutes throughout the day. I also find, that when left for a while, the balm goes a horrible gritty-like texture. I gave the balm three stars, for the delicious coco butter smell and, although it hasn't done much for my lips, it hasn't irritated them like the majority of the other reviewers here. Overall, not a terrible product, but not stand-out either.

on 3/14/2015 8:52:00 AM

I've heard a lot about Palmer's Cocoa Lip Balm from everywhere and decided to give it a try. Guess what? Just 10 minutes after the first application, my mouth started to burn and the sensation of the itchiness around my lips turned into a rash, and you could feel the bump too.

The product wasn't even moisturizing. 5 minutes after the application and it already felt like there was nothing on my lips at all! Even right now, my lips hurt and itches. I would definitely not buy this product again even if I ran out of lip balm. This is just too disappointing.

on 3/1/2015 3:40:00 PM

I liked the thinner, easier to absorb texture of this, but omg the BURN! If you have chapped lips, this balm only irritates them further. When my lips are not cracked, it makes a decent base for lipstick, but I'm hesitant to use something that burns this badly. Also while the oval shape of the tube is cool, the balm didn't really roll down well and the wrapper got messy easily. Glad I used this up, but will never purchase again.

on 2/12/2015 7:18:00 AM

A good solid lip balm but not ~incredible~. However, I love it using under lipstick! My lips tend to dry out quickly when I'm wearing lipstick but this is the perfect consistency (almost waxy, not thick and sticky) for keeping them moisturised and helping my lip product go on evenly.

I find I go through it quite quickly, but for £1.79 and SPF15 you can't really complain

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Due to me living in a very cold climate, I have used many, MANY lip balms, and I've got to say that this is in my top... 3-5
Interesting oval shape, good and moisturizing. Good for very cold and dry weather.

However, when left in a heated place, it melts quickly and when left unused for a couple of days it gets a slight bit gritty and hard.

Would I buy it again?

I, like so many others here, developed an allergy to this product after about a week of use. It started as a slight tingle and within a few more applications advanced to an itch and redness. I liked the smell and non-sticky texture, and thought at first that I'd found my HG blam, but there is clearly a problematic ingredient in it. Never have I seen so many allergy complaints for a single product on MUA, and I wish I'd come here before buying it. I'll avoid Palmer's products from here on out.

on 8/7/2014 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I think that for a lot of people this would be a decent lip balm. If you want something slightly more moisturizing for chapstick and your lips aren't extremely dry this would probably work very well for you. Now on to my grievances with this product:

-I have bad allergies so while this felt very slick on my lips it didn't do much in terms of moisturization
-The main ingredient in this is NOT cocoa butter. It's Dimethicone, a silicone which is used as an emollient in a lot of products, That's fantastic for some people but horrible for me as it caused itching and cystic acne around my mouth.

I would just be very careful with this product. I've seen other reviewers report itching and burning as well so just check the ingredients label before purchase. I usually am very vigilant about checking the ingredients before purchase since I have such sensitive skin but this time I didn't.

If you have decent to moderately dry lips and you are not sensitive to silicones or oils this would probably work well for you otherwise avoid at all costs.

Popular Lip Treatments