October 22, 2014 | 1873 users online

Fragrances - Caron - French Cancan

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2013 4:17:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This presents many different scents at different points. It started with a burst of something I didn't like, then morphed into almond, violets, and then powder. Tons of powder. And I'm not getting any of the dark Caron base that I've discovered in so many of them. ETA: The second time I wore it, I didn't have nearly the powder overload, but a focus on almonds. This is a really strange fragrance. It's interesting.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2009 7:14:00 PM More reviews by FeySparrow

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Everything’s just right with French Cancan, it says, ‘it doesn’t matter where I find myself in life, because I carry perfection with me’. It has all the elements of a classic perfume, from the light lilac and orange blossom to the smolderingly dark jasmine, to the risqué name. It goes through a long drydown, and I find all the stages well-balanced, and considering that some of the Carons are quite dark in feel, it’s high-energy. It’s composed of white flowers, lilac, violet, rose, patchouli, iris, with an oakmoss base.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2009 4:30:00 PM More reviews by staci23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like the parfum version of this better than the edp. It's an old fashioned scent but in a good way. There is an interesting green note that I like. I cannot wear a lot of caron fragrances as I find they have this "note" that does not agree with my nose. It's a dark slightly offensive scent that I haven't fully embraced, but French CanCan does not have this darkness. It's a fun scent that is absolutely lovely and potent in the parfum form.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2008 10:06:00 AM More reviews by MizLiz211

Visions of Offenbach and Toulouse-Lautrec dance in my head...the kitschy-fun name pulled me in, but the fragrance sealed the deal. Beautiful golden layers of flowers (jasmine is most prominent to my nose) on top of the signature dark Caron base. It makes me think of a buttery, flaky jasmine pastry, flavored with some candied violets. As was the case with several of my favorite perfumes, this didn't quite work on me at first, but I grew to love it. A joy!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2007 4:44:00 PM More reviews by CheriCheri

Not old lady at all (I wish we'd all forget that cliche'), very violet, hint of rose, perhaps so retro it is modern! Deep and inviting, dark purple with some green. Elegant!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2006 9:31:00 AM More reviews by Meg2005

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The name of it sounds pretty outrageous, evocative of images of the Moulin Rouge, Les Folies Bergères, Alhambra, et al. I would have expected at least a fragrance reminscent of Toulouse-Lautrec, served with a whiff of tobacco, absinthe, and turpentine.
Imagine my surprise when I actually sniffed it. This is Après L'Ondée's demure, long-lost
sister, sweet, refined, powdery, very charming. I have recently had a chance to smell the original Soir de Paris (thank you Freegracer!) as well, and consider this last a third sister of the same family, each complete with a bouquet of violets, wide-brimmed hat, white gloves and parasol. Rather than French CanCan this beauty might more aptly have been named La Valse À Mille Temps; I find it faintly sweet, with a certain fin-de-siècle nostalgic aura to it. A deliciously comforting scent, ideal for summer, when you want nothing less than an impossible combination of elements, a perfume that is lightweight, gossamer and enveloping at the same time. This one, yet another inspired masterpiece by Ernest Daltroff, is all of that, and a great soul besides.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2006 7:36:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

French Can-Can is very much like a lighter Jolie Madame. "Powdery dark violet" also describes French Can-Can well, though I get some pepper (or vetiver?) and leather too.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2006 1:51:00 PM More reviews by jaritos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was lovely on my skin at first. It was beautiful, heady jasmine with something grounded underneath. However, my two criticisms: It turned a little too...overripe, I guess is the word, after two hours or so. Also, this wasn't the right scent for me - maybe in twenty years, but for now, it felt mature.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2006 1:16:00 PM More reviews by CathyEarnshaw

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

On my skin, Caron French Cancan is very old fashioned, very powdery dark violet.

I get the same meloncholy feel with it as I do with my beloved Guerlain L'heure Bleue, so naturally, I love Cancan too.

Some here might describe it as an "old Lady" scent. I describe it as a classic and very well blended work of art.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2006 6:24:00 PM More reviews by BasiaS

Initially, I get a heavy jasmine, LOTV and aldehydes out of this, followed by dark, lush violets. This is very old-fashioned and heavy, but in the classic Caron way - meaning it's quite beautiful on some people, very dark and musty on others. For me, the jasmine and LOTV are a bit too heavy in the beginning, overpowering all other notes. It seemed a bit too mature for me. It took a while for it to fade, but when it did, the drydown was quite pretty and sweet. To be honest I'm not sure that I could pull this one off at my age, but hopefully they won't discontinue this and I can revisit Cancan in 20 years or so.