July 28, 2014 | 1713 users online

Fragrances - Caron - Yatagan

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2014 11:09:00 PM More reviews by rasputin2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

To me, smells like a scorchingly orange-hot, late-August afternoon in rural Texas... A still, old, falling-down wooden barn, alone in a dry yellow meadow, is full of haybales moldering in the airless heat and floating motes of dust seen in the shafts of orangey sunlight knifing through the cracks in the wood. . Horse saddles and lariats hanging on the wall.

In other words, to me, it is the ultimate Texas cowboy/rodeo fragrance. (I don't visualize any Asian or Middle Eastern scenes, somehow).

May be the most ultra-masculine scent I know of. Certainly bold, outdoorsy, bone-dry, and utterly devoid of sweetness. As others have stated, it is an "alpha male" kind of scent, and it helps if you naturally rock that mucho-manly vibe.

Intelligent, in no way urban or effete, different, highly-recommended.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2012 10:30:00 PM More reviews by perfumefanatic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Wonderful scent, like others have described below, a real powerhouse earthy, leathery, spicy wonder. Reminds me of Gorgio Red, but without the sweetness and with a healthy dose of leather and animalics. I will wear this often this winter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by jacona

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Although a very masculine scent, I think a woman can pull it off if she is comfortable in such scents and I am. It is in your face in abig 80s way, use a gentle hand. It's dry, woody, incensy, spicy, leathery, complex with a lot going on in there, yet it all blends perfectly. Awesome and cozy in cold weather and in hot weather a small spritz can bloom into something wonderful. If you like scents like Black Cashmere or Chaos, check this one out! If you are looking for a manly man scent for your guy, check this one out!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2011 10:23:00 AM More reviews by rockface2004

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

just purchased my first bottle of Yatagan...wow..what a brute,after the initial punch to the nose it settles into only one note...OAKMOSS.Maybe a touch of vetiver and even a small note of oud,but always oakmoss.If you have access to good quality essential oils I would advise not to buy this one,its very easy to recreate.Its cheap and different,but hardly elegant or refined,still worth getting just to be different,but dont expect the ladies to love this one.Update..after 2 hours a laurel note is there with the oakmoss,sort of similar to monocle scent 2(but much cheaper!!!)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2010 9:34:00 PM More reviews by suzi2qs

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

This one slaps you in the face....hard. It is considered a classic and truly, I have never smelled anything like it. The official notes I found are as follows:
Top Notes
Lavender, Wormwood, Petitgrain, Artemisia.
Middle Notes
Geranium, Pine Needles, Vetiver, Patchouli.
Base Notes
Leather, Castoreum, Styrax.
My first impression was "EEEEEYOOO" Celery! Vegetable stock! Then after that, marijuana. Like I had just walked into a Bowie concert at MSG in the 70's. Thought, Jeez, if I get pulled over for a traffic violation wearing this, the police will toss my car for sure. I scrubbed and put it on my dresser and tried to pretend it wasn't there. No big loss, 20 something dollars for a huge bottle. But, it called for me to try it again and I found it was not such a monster. I honestly am not getting any of the above stated notes, but it has a rather insence-like air about it, a little skank thrown in for good measure (probably the Castoreum). It dries down to a more mellow, smokiness on my skin, challenging at first, but worth the wait. As mentioned by a prior reviewer, a bit reminiscent of a cult like ceremony. On clothes however, this remains, pure, sticky, unsmoked marijuana. I will wear this, yes, probably would not need to purchase again because the bottle I have is huge and little is needed. But if I ran out, I would pick up another bottle. I will apply to my skin and make sure it is dry before dressing. Would wear it to the office only on a day when I was feeling arrogant and bitchy, it would be a good fit. Probably will scare the guys something awful, the way Elvira would, they would run away from her, still want to boink her, but stay clear for fear of being overwhelmed, out performed and dragged by the hair to hell. I would recommend trying this just for the perverse experience. Like an over the top haunted hayride on Halloween, you gotta do it once.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2009 4:20:00 PM More reviews by rsmuskie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

To quote Curly of the Three Stooges, Try it! It's putrid!!" Nyuk-nyuknyuk... That said, it may well be an herbal vegetal fragrance, but but I love it. So many wild memories attached to this fragrance, primarily of 70's rock stars in Laurel Canyon in the 70's. It takes a guy with the right chemistry to wear this one. Maybe one in one hundred men can wear it wonderfully, but when they did wear it, it was earthy, sensual, like a mirrored bedroom lit with Victorian lampshades draped in silk scarves, with velvet pillows and a shaggy haired Adonis wearing Hefner silk pjs, reclining in a floor-level bed with a glass of five-star cognac. But Yatagan does not beckon gently, rather, it initiailly comes on like gangbusters, then morphs into this wild frenzy of herbs, patchouli, & resins. Nothing feminine about this one. If you question your masculinity, don't wear it. I'd buy this for the right man, and that would be one who is secure in his masculinity.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2009 8:01:00 PM More reviews by karelin7

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had to smell the fragrance that Chandler Burr described as "the odor of a European man removing his underwear in August." The reviews were nearly as intriguing, as was the description in the Turin-Sanchez guide. So today I went to Bergdorf and sampled the fabled monster. Yes, there is some celery but there is a lot of incense--frankincense, beautifully-rendered sage, some pine, and a dense herbal smell that is sui generis but vaguely reminiscent of high quality cannabis. I love the way it smells on my skin and the drydown is wonderful, with the incense rising to the fore. This is deserving of the five stars Turin-Sanchez awarded it. Even my wife, who generally dislikes fragrance, liked it. It's one of those frags that I can't get enough of; I keep sniffing my wrist whenever I put it on. It would be great on a woman as well, quite intriguing, actually. It wears close to the skin and exudes a sense of idiosyncratic verve and confidence. Pretty wonderful.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2008 4:47:00 PM More reviews by dascha

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I would be very interested in smelling an actual man wearing this. I would admire him immensely for even trying to pull it off. On a woman, I would bow down before her. This stuff is just wacky! I had to swap for a sample just to get a sniffy-sniff of something so infamous, and as prepared as I thought I was, I was still blown away by it. Let's put it this way: This stuff is VEGETAL. I'm talking caraway seed (like when you toast them whole in a pan until they blacken and pop) celery-seed, heck, I get a pretty straightforward V-8 vibe out of this one. Is is me? I could deal with the caraway but I just can't get past the celery and into the woods and ink and whatnot. What a fragrance it would be for a chef!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2008 6:55:00 PM More reviews by lemonlye

This one walks the fine line between interestingly bold and off-puttingly strong. I get a lot of frankincense, pepper, and patchouli, all quite dry and spicy. Similar scents have worked well on me, but this one takes it a little too far. I don't want to wash it off my arm, but I also don't think I could carry it off. Would be interesting to sniff what a man's chemistry did to it.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/25/2008 1:09:00 PM More reviews by JaleR

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Trusting the expert's recommendations can be risky. Many scents praised by Turin/Sanchez are fantastic indeed - and I share their views - but YATAGAN is one of the most digusting things I ever smelt in my whole life. Of course, I had intended it for my husband- but he was appalled, too - so I will have to let it rot in its rather plain bottle.
There is something really putrid about this stuff - it smells perverse in the true sense of the word. How could such a vile, disturbing smell get 5 stars in a fragrance guide? This stuff is not wearable. It is repulsive.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No