September 23, 2014 | 1795 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Mega Shine Top Coat

rated 1 of 5 on 8/11/2014 1:31:00 PM More reviews by 1funnyface

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

OK-call me crazy BUT I have used this a few times and twice my nails became funky. Not all ten but one maybe? I put this on and a day or so later, while in the shower, my entire nail-the polish, not my fingernail!-peeled off in one piece! Very weird-just like I had a sticker on! So I tried it again-polish chipped again on one nail and a huge piece peeled off! I want to like this but it's just too weird for me....):

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2014 8:42:00 AM More reviews by tresadla

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The best top coat Ive ever used. Your nail varnish will shine (and no chips) like its wet for at least 2 weeks, maybe longer. Even with cheap nail varnishes that leave no shine, put 2 coats on and they will look fantastic. I wont use any other top coat, have used this for years. When I use this on my toes, I can get about 3 to 4 weeks wear without having to retouch, its that good!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 9:38:00 AM More reviews by hazeltail

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this top coat! I used to use only Seche Vite, but it would lift sometimes. I've never had a problem with lifting with the Sally Hansen Mega Shine, minimal chipping, and a super shiny protective layer.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/18/2014 6:01:00 PM More reviews by Koolkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found that this top coat left brush strokes and wasn't that shiny compared to side by side comparison of other top coats on my fingers. However, it seemed to be tougher than the other top coats I used and didn't chip within 24hours, which was when I removed the mani. I am returning it though becuase the shine is just horrible.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2014 12:19:00 PM More reviews by camerae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this top coat for what I use it for - adding shine, hiding flaws and extending wear time to a mani or pedi. I use another QDTC when I do my mani/pedi (normally at night) and then I use SH Mega Shine the next morning to add tons of shine and hide any accidental sheet or bump marks. It dries within 2-3 minutes this way and gives me way more shine than I get with my regular QDTC. I've also slapped it on a 2 week old pedi that was looking dull, and it made my polish look brand new! A few cons - my bottle got bubbly fast so have some thinner on hand, and also I don't like the non-clear bottle. Overall, a quality product I use regularly and would not be without.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2014 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

This was my HG top coat for YEARS. LOVE it and will always repurchase. I switched to Orly Sec n Dry because i wanted a faster dry time, but this stuff can't be beat for shine. So intense and durable.

Looks like gel nails.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2014 8:19:00 PM More reviews by SophMcD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My favorite top coat! Makes your nails look like it got dipped in liquid diamonds (super shiny), dries in about a minute and a half, wears for 7-10 days. I'm impressed. Even after washing dishes and showerig the shine pay off hasn't faded like a lot do!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2014 12:29:00 PM More reviews by lmbee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Best top coat ever! I just bought my second bottle and I haven't even run out of the first one yet! I always get compliments on my manicures and it is mostly down to this product. My own manicures using this top coat look a lot better than any professional manicure I have ever had, and they last almost twice as long.

I apply 1 layer of basecoat, 2 coats of polish, then 1 coat of SH Mega Shine. It gives your nails a super glossy mirror shine that really does last for 10 days. I usually start chipping on day 10 (by that time I'm bored of the color anyway). It kind of causes the polish to peel off in one go (reminds me of the Tinkerbell peel-off nail polish from my childhood) so instead of slowly chipping away like most manicures do, it's more like 10 days flawless, then you have to take it all off. I much prefer this!

My only complaint is that the metallic silver paint on the bottle neck chips off and can get into the polish when you wipe the brush which may result in a silver fleck getting stuck in your manicure. It's fine but they ought to fix it.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2014 7:02:00 PM More reviews by mekimchiie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

disclaimer: the bottle I have has a blue cap and it doesn't say extended wear. It just says megashine top coat. Now, it does what it says. It is pretty glossy. However I think the cheaper sally Hansen top coats (I'm thinking some of the clear bottle ones) are just as glossy. You also have to make sure you are putting it on really thick to get the gloss. A thin layer doesnt seem that glossy (in fact i put on a second thick layer because i didnt think my first probably thin layer was shiny enough). The drying time seems pretty good. Its not rapid quick but in the time it took me to review Essie mambo on my phone, this top coat has dried (and I had put it on thick). Now what you have to know about this gloss is that you have to wait for your color to dry first. If you don't, you will likely end up streaking the color when you apply this on. What's great about this product that I love is that if your color is old and thick and its applied all unevenly with bumps and is essentially a hot mess, you throw this on while the color is still drying and it evens it all out. I can't remember if the other SH top coats do that, but this one certainly does. So this coat is great for beginners and pack rats. But for everyone else, its simply not worth its price when comparing shine/dollar with other SH top coats. I think I will search for that cheaper SH top coat than buy this again. Its not bad, there are just better ones out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 4:07:00 AM More reviews by Hel19

This is the best top coat-EVER! Just one coat gives an instant mirrored shine! I love this product- especially over a deep red or any dark nail polish.