Rusk Rusk Thick

on 1/22/2015 2:04:00 PM

I have been eying this spray every time I have been in TJ Maxx for a while and I finally picked it up. I don't think I have used a Rusk product since the early 90s and I don't remember them much which made me think they were nothing special but like most, I really like this thickening spray. I use it in my roots only and it really give some nice weight to my fly away fine hair. It does not puff it up but just makes it look a little thicker and gives it grip. I have tried a lot of sprays for thickening and this is really at the top of the list. It is less drying for me than the Aveda one and it does not get sticky like the Tigi Bedhead Superstar one which I both like and think perform well. And this one is cheaper if you get it at TJ Maxx/Marshall's which seem to always have it.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

found at Tjmaxx also. $13. skeptical. mixed reviews. used on wet hair. blew dry. worked very well! going back for second bottle. With a round brush it helped keep just a little bit of the volume that would otherwise have been missing even when I use to spray in the past. Very pleased but the smell strange as previous poster said. She suggested putting essential oil in the bottle which I think was a very awesome idea and I'm going to do the same. Reminded me a little bit of a setting lotion type of product. I have fine thinner hair.

on 1/29/2014 11:00:00 PM

I think this is only good if you blow dry your hair. It just dries out my hair and does nothing to make it look better. I should have paid attention to my coworker when she saw me buying this- she said whenever she uses rusk, her hair is like 'now, when exactly were you going to put product in me? Because this doesn't count.'

on 10/4/2013 1:14:00 AM

I am joining this site specifically for the purpose of writing this review!

I cannot express how much I love this product. I went through my first bottle so fast! It is sitting on my vanity empty next to countless bottles of barely used products that i have acquired over the last few months.

This stuff really works. I have fine, flat, color treated hair that is easily weighed down. If I don't blow try, tease, back comb, etc, my hair just lays there, practically dead. This spray, however, brings my hair to life. I have big, beautiful, bouncy hair!

I usually put it on when my hair is damp. I spray quite a bit all over my head and then work it in with my fingers. Then I let it sit for about 15 minutes while I do my makeup, and then blow dry upside down. When I am finished blow drying: voila! Big pretty hair that is full of life. I could kick any day's butt.

Note: You need to use a really good conditioner with this spray as it can be drying. One of the first ingredients is alcohol. I shampoo and then condition with something like Redkin Extreme, All Soft, or Paul Mitchell Super strong, and then sometimes I will put in a leave in like Redken Extreme anti snap, or It's a 10.

I get it at a beauty supply house for about 7 dollars a bottle, which is very cheap to me. But it runs about 12 bucks in department stores. It's totally worth every cent.

on 1/22/2013 8:15:00 PM

I bought a banged up bottle of this at TJ Maxx, with its aerosol sprayer gone. Decanted it into another spray bottle and, since apparently this stuff was so old it'd lost its scent, I put in a little orange essential oil to make it smell nice. What the hell. Anyway, tried it this morning on my super fine, thin, straight hair and YES! Very very good. I was actually accused of having Big Hair. I've never had big hair in my life. This stuff is drying, but after drying and styling I just put a little conditioner between the palms of my hands and rubbed it in and all was good, as close to perfect as my hair will get. I didn't give a 5 rating just because of the combo of dryness and no scent. Hmm. Maybe I should give it a 5.

on 10/13/2012 8:41:00 PM

I have fine hair, and keep it short now - this stuff works better than any other of it's type that I have ever tried. I use it on towel dried hair, followed with a little bit of Redken's Align 12 straightening balm, wait till my hair is mostly dry, then hit it with the dryer, focusing on the roots. Use a round brush to style where needed, and it looks great....keeps my short shaggy hair full and sexy all day. Worth EVERY PENNY!!

on 9/26/2012 2:13:00 PM

Wow! Best volumizing product I've ever tried. I'm always trying new prodcuts claiming to bring flat hair to life: mousses, sprays, gels, etc. I have fine/thin hair and am a slave to teasing/backcombing just to get my hair to look normal. This stuff does stuff just what it says: adds fabulous body and texture. No need for teasing anymore. The best part about this product is I can be like a normal person and not have to wash my hair everyday, as it keeps oil at bay. Also, I found a huge bottle of this at TJ Maxx for $12.99. The only downside is it is slightly drying, my ends are starting to feel kinda crunchy.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Rusk Thick Body and Texture Amplifier is so fabulous! This is a must for people with fine/thin hair. It adds excellent volume and texture..Plus it smells great. I do use this with my favorite spray mousse, when I want extra fullness. It can be a bit drying so I donít use this product every day, but absolutely for date nights!

I literally just bought this two days ago, but I can tell I already love it. I thought maybe it was just because I was so excited to use a styling product (I don't usually do anything beyond shampoo & conditioner...sometimes the occasional moroccan oil but I haven't noticed any difference with that). However, the reviews here confirm what I thought: this is a great product. My hair is very fine, though I have a medium amount of it. Because it's so fine, it often just seems to hang there...very limp. I am so excited -- this spray feels so natural, like there's nothing in my hair at all, but it kindaaa feels like I have a whole new head of hair. I have never felt the texture of my strands this thick. It gives my overall style oomph and body. I LOVE IT!

This review is for the SPRAY version and not for the gel. I don't have the same warm fuzzies for the gel that I have for the spray.

Ounce for ounce, this is the best thickening product (non-shampoo... the best thickening shampoo is Lush Big) I've ever used.

I have been using this product for about 15 years and I have been using thickeners for about 20 years. I have long, fine hair but I have a lot of fine hair so I need a good thickener. That is all to say that I have used A LOT of thickening products in my time.

This one is light, no greasy residue, has a non-offensive smell and is easy to find pretty much anywhere now. It used to be a salon only product but now you can grab it anywhere. It lasts a long time, you only use it on the roots, and isn't ridiculously priced. Often you can find it on clearance here or there.

It's a great stand-by product.

Popular Styling Products