September 2, 2014 | 1234 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - All About Eve Duo

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2014 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Ruby_Red

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This just might be my favorite daytime eyeshadow of all time.
For reference, I'm fair with cool/pinkish undertones, cool blonde hair, and light green eyes. If you've got similar coloring, I can't recommend this duo enough.
The shadows definitely do not look like much, but they work serious, actual magic on me. I use the left shade over my eyelids, and stick a bit of the right shade in the center of my eyelids, under the arch of my brows, and in the corner of my eyes. I am very quick & imprecise with the application (seriously, I spend all of like 5 seconds on each eye). Once I'm done, it doesn't look like I'm wearing any eyeshadow at all; instead, I suddenly look like a fresh faced and lovely fairy that has gotten a luxurious ten hours of sleep, possibly on a bed of enchanted, youth-replenishing flowers or something.
Seriously. It is a shocking, downright magical difference.
The quality, like most Nars stuff, is top notch. The colors go on like velvety butter and last all day, and the packaging is sleek, stylish and sturdy.
Love, love, love everything about this, and I will happily re-buy it over and over again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2014 9:19:00 AM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this duo after seeing MakeupByTiffanyD use it in a tutorial. I'd say this is a great daytime eyeshadow look. I am NC15 with light brown eyes. This is really light on me and just barely shows up. Its like a beigey shimmery color. Neither of the colors work well as a crease shade so I have to use something a bit darker like MAC Omega. Both colors in this duo are the EXACT SAME SHADE. I typically use this duo when I want to focus on my liner instead of the shadow, or on days when I just want to look a little more polished. I agree with other reviewers in saying these shadows are very buttery and easy to apply and blend. I would not repurchase because they really don't show up on me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2014 12:28:00 AM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

First off, I completely agree w/ many other reviewers that these e/s won't work on every skin tone. IMO, it will only show-up on NC25 (& whatever the NW equivalent is) & lighter skin. If you're any darker than that, don't even bother, unless you're thinking of using them as highlight shades.

I'm between NC20-25 (probably a NC22 1/2, if that existed) & AAE barely shows up on me. Both shades do make me look more polished & awake but are too sheer for me to justify the $35 price tag.

The shades are both a fleshy, champagne color which I feel have a slight pink cast to them. The left side has a subtle frost & the right side is more of a lustre. Both are very silky & creamy to the touch. I find the colors to be more cool-toned than neutral. Both AAE shades lasted 8+ hours on my unprimed lids and I didn't notice any fallout.

Packaging is nice (except, of course, for NARS typical matte, black exterior which is infamous for getting dirty). Compact has a mirror & looks & feels HE-which it should for the $!

Despite the fact that the colors were too light for me, I still feel these are high quality e/s. They're not going to work on everyone though so make sure to try before you buy.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2013 9:14:00 AM More reviews by violetmist

I get how this could work on some people but not for me. I am fair/neutral with blue eyes and this was way off base. Rather ordinary too. Could be because my lids are a bit dark and cool toned which is nice and I work with that as a no colour "lid colour". For neutrals I would recommend Bobbi Brown cement (powder and cream) and malted (cream) or beige shimmer (powder) or MAC grain (powder).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2013 10:06:00 AM More reviews by Fluevog

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I just repurchased this duo for the third time (and I've had it in two palettes as well). I've been using it for over nine years now. In a lifetime of makeup addiction I have never found an eyeshadow that looks better on me. That includes all four UD Naked palettes (original, Naked2, Naked Basics and Naked3), about 50% of the eyeshadows that Urban Decay has ever produced, every Georgio Armani neutral, every MAC neutral, every Dior neutral, every Chanel neutral, the Cargo essentials, Tarte neutrals, NYX neutrals, WnW... I've tried hundreds. I always come back to AAE.

This is for light to medium skinned people. I don't think it would be as perfect on its own for darker or super light skin. If it does work for you, it's one of those few cosmetics that works some magic. It just makes me look prettier, not made up. It never looks overdone during the day. With an appropriate crease shade and some eyeliner, AAE goes full-on glamour. This duo can act as your base for bright or dramatic colors. AAE plus any dark shadow gives you a perfect smoky eye.

If I could have only one eyeshadow, it would be this. In fact, if I could own only one makeup product, it would be AAE. The shimmery side is a great highlighter for the face. I travel with only AAE, lip balm and mascara. Many days I have worn my version of the Carmindy 5-minute face: the shimmery side of AAE as browbone and cheek highlight worn over sunscreen with some lipstick or lip balm added.

If you like the look of beautiful glowy skin with minimal drama and you have the right skin tone, you will love this duo. If you feel naked without full drag queen makeup, you can probably still use it.

I have two criticisms. One is the price. It's a very minor gripe -- I use this duo very regularly and replace it every three years. It is never empty when I replace it. The other is the fact that it really only works for a very narrow range of skin tones. I'd love to see a series of AAEs for lighter to very dark skin.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2013 3:11:00 AM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Out of the 3 duos and 4 single Nars eyeshadows I have, I love every single one. They do have slight downfalls and great perks depending on the color you choose to buy, however, here is my review on AAE.

I first got this solely because Ghost mentioned he used this on Kat Dennings for her beaaaautiful Emmys look.

I realized that for myself during the winters at NC15-20, there was NO way this would ever be a "browbone" or "inner corner" highlight. In fact, it's darker than my skintone so I could not smack this all over the lid. I was disappointed by the color-tone.

Even now at NC20-25 during the summertime, it's still a little too dark for that, but depending on how dramatic the rest of my eye look is, this could be a subtle lid color or corner highlight that is very, very subtle.

Despite the color not being perfect for me (if it were a few smidgens lighter/brighter...) i still love reaching for this.

The quality of the shadow cannot be denied. These are softly milled, blendable, and depending on the tone, greatly pigmented. Depending on what you're looking for, this may be it.

* An experience I tend to have with Nars blush/eyeshadow is that even if i do not drop the product, sometimes it can get broken from either travelling in a suitcase or make up bag.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2013 11:51:00 AM More reviews by nadoosh

LOVE this eyeshadow duo! I bought this based off of the reviews on this site and it has become a staple of my everyday routine. The colors are soft and buttery, and impart a beautiful candlelit glow to the eyes. I would absolutely recommend this both for use on its own and as a base for blending darker eyeshadows. Again thank you makeupalley users!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 5:38:00 AM More reviews by capybara

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Just to say I couldn't see the point of this initially but am now repurchasing (which I almost never do with eyeshadow). Apply the right-hand shadow (matte) on the lid, in the crease and even all the way up to the brow; then highlight lids etc with the left-hand side (shimmery). Always makes you look rested, healthy and 'done'. Works with everything.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/10/2012 8:19:00 AM More reviews by Scotiabelle

First mistake with nars. I don't get it's invisible on me. I'm pale blue eyes and could use it as base or highlight but expensive set for that. I like my duos to work together with just a splash of highlight added. These are invisible and virtually identical to one and other. Sad as I love nars duos.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by basmah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this eyeshadow duo. I have this in the Best palette (and let me just say, that palette really is the best) and at first these colours seemed quite boring. Both colours are very similar. Both are peachy champagne colours. One is more shimmery than the other and there is a slight difference in colour. This looks great on my very pale skin (NW10/15, NARS Siberia). I love using the more matte shade all over my lid. It makes my eyelids look amazing, luminous and very awake. I then add the shimmery shade to my inner corner and Bali to my lashline. It makes my eyes look awake and radiant, but it's very subtle. The texture is very nice, very soft and buttery. It blends very well and the lasting power is pretty good over Soft Ochtre PP by MAC (it lasts a whole work day without any creasing or fading, but I must admit, my eyelids are not super oily). I often forget about this duo, but whenever I use it I remember how great it is. Would repurchase, even though it is quite expensive.