December 22, 2014 | 1828 users online

Styling Products - Paul Mitchell - Paul Mitchell -Extra Body Sculpting Foam

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2014 8:03:00 PM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been on an epic search to find a good but basic styling product that holds my style while blow drying. I have short, frizzy hair with medium layers that I no longer color. So I definitely need hold and body (NOT VOLUME). My hair tends to be bushy and expands when I use styling serums, gels, or lotions etc. leaving it way too soft and unmanageable. This extra body sculpting foam does a fairly good job of holding and smoothing while blow drying adding some weight that I need.

It's not sticky or gooey like Kenra's Texture Taffy, Redkin 06 rewind styling paste etc. which I find to be more of final step products for thick curly hair.

I highly recommend Paul Mitchell's EB Sculpting Foam for short hair. The price at Peninsula Beauty was $12 for 6.7 oz a good value. Has fairly decent hold without the crunch.

UPDATE 8/24/13: the first pump can I purchased was damaged as the nozzle loosened and dislodged from the pump. The replacement can is not much better in that too much product comes out and there is waste even with the slight pressure. The product is more fluid than foamy and somewhat greasy. Turns out to be another marginal product like those I mention above. The best hair styling product was Purelology's Antifade Texture Twist in a yellow pump bottle that has been disccontinued for several years. No replacement anywhere close. Some of us need hold and body and the PM EB sculpting foam does not hold for longer than one day meaning you will need to wash hair everyday.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2013 7:17:00 AM More reviews by 1017

I like the Extra Body version of the Sculpting Foam more than the regular. While the regular is HG for many curlies, I think it works better for those with thick, coarse, tight curls that need a bit more weight. I, on the other hand, have uber fine waves that with love can be encouraged to curls, but a good wind comes, and I am back down to waves. Thus, between the two, Extra Body is my favorite. It still doesn't give as much lift in the crown as other mousse products I have tried (Biolage Whipped, Joico Power Whip), but a very affordable, nice mousse. Despite this being "extra body", it still seems like a bit on the softer side in terms of hold.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2013 3:03:00 PM More reviews by fruehl744

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for about 5 years now and I absolutely love it! It works wonders on my curly hair and keeps it from being frizzy and losing its curly shape throughout the day. I have tried other over-the-counter products, but none of them work quite as well for my hair. I would highly recommend using this product by scrunching it into your damp hair and then finishing off the job by flipping your hair upside down and using a hair-diffuser to gently dry and set the curls in place. Be careful about the amount that is used; be mindful that you want enough, but not too much because it could leave your hair feeling greasy or hard and crunchy. Definitely finish it off with a light hairspray too if you are prone to frizziness!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2012 1:13:00 PM More reviews by SsjAnimeGW

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was a nice mousse. Better than many but you could purchase better/more expensive. This product was not good as a leave-in bodifier for when I air-dry my hair, as it leaves it all frizzy. However, if I'm straightening after my hair dries, this product holds it in place decently. Personally, styling cremes tend to work better on my chin-length processed hair so I stick with Kendra styling creme.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/14/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by dancnbrs1

I've been using this for a while, and right now I'm just trying to finish the bottle. To me, it wasn't anything special. I feel like it weighed my hair down quite a bit, and didn't really hold it any better than drug store products. I expected more from a more expensive salon brand. I don't think I would repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2012 11:28:00 PM More reviews by kawanii

Personally, this product didn't really work wonders on my thin asian hair. Maybe it's because volumizing isn't really needed for me. I can never really tell whether my hair is limp or volumized as I have thin and so little hair. This product did not really do much for me as much as I have noticed so I really cannot judge on this product's effectiveness. But when I applied it to my damp hair upside down, I felt the tackiness and that my hair felt "thicker". But other than that, I didn't really see the change after I blow-dried my hair. I think my desire for mousse was to keep my curling-ironed curls to keep in place. Instead, I felt it made my hair heavier than what it is. This was a partial disappointment to me...I probably could have gone with something cheaper or even a better salon brand. Was still nice to work it out but I think I'm not very keen on any PM products anymore.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2012 4:37:00 PM More reviews by anutka28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just love this mousse! Works wonders on my thin hair. Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2011 5:31:00 PM More reviews by ocgirl007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for at least 10 years, my hairdress turned me on to it, i have tried other things that dont even come close, it great for curly girls...the best.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2011 4:27:00 PM More reviews by michelleo629

I am a big fan of Paul Mitchell, I like this product alot and think that it lives up to its name, it definitely give me volume, and I have thick hair. I do find if I use too much, it make my hair feel kinds gross and hay-like, so I just have to watch how much I am using and I am fine. And it smells great too which is always a plus!!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/28/2011 8:54:00 AM More reviews by VictoriaHat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have used this stuff forever...or at least since my skin began to reacting to the overly-fragranced Aveda products I used on my baby-fine, curly hair. This is not as fabulous for curly girls as the regular PM sculpting foam, but the regular foam is too heavy for my fine hair. This stuff holds well and never weighs my fine hair down. Any crunchiness left over after my hair dries can easily be scrunced out. I know PM doesn't advertise this for curly hair but it works on my fine, curly locks. Another bonus: the fragrance is light and lemony and doesn't linger.