Avon Cotillion

3.7

Price: $

Price: $

on 1/4/2015 3:26:00 PM

Cotillion caught my eye because I have been reading a bunch of reviews regarding the fact that older budget fragrances have more quality raw ingredient than the high end niche perfumers today. I have been particularly interested in Persian Wood and Cotillion because of the scarcity of sandalwood.

Cotillion is described as soft, sweet, spicy oriental with a powder finish, and I would agree with that. Sweeter and slightly spicier than Persian Wood. No strong pungency from carnation compared to EL Spellbound, mitsouko extrait, or floris malmaison. Cotillion is softly rounded in the same way as vintage Caron Poivre, but far quieter and less spicy.

I used to be a big fan of Serge Lutens (and own over 15 SL full bottles). Cotillion is softer and far less throat scratching than something like fourreau noire or fumerie turque, or FM musc ravageur or vintage Guerlain le heure bleue. However, those who don't like soft powder scents may want to steer clear. Not as blatantly oriental as Shalimar or opium.

Not quite as unisex as Persian wood or even To a Wild Rose, but if you would consider wearing a feminine Guerlain, Lutens or Malle, then cotillion is a possibility. It could be worn either in the office or at night.

My bottle does not appear to be light damaged, but it's very probable that it's become softer with age.

When buying avon vintage perfume on line, I recommend buying bottles that have been stored in their boxes as there will be less chance of degradation from light.

on 11/14/2013 8:52:00 PM

I got this in a vintage box from the early '60's of perfume oil, very cute. It's called "Jewel Collection" and is arranged in a snowflake pattern with several other vintage perfume oils. I found it on ebay. I remembered the name Cotillion from my grandmother's perfume collection on her dresser and knew I'd sampled it way back in the '50's. The name refers to a ballroom dance and I associated it with an early 20th century, old-fashioned social event. I expected it to smell like something a woman with a high lace-collared dress and petticoats would wear. It's actually a very appealing spicy oriental scent. It's soft and does dry down somewhat powdery but has depth to it. I just tried a couple drops on my wrists and several hours later it's faded to a skin scent but very nice. I'm not sure what the notes in it are but I would guess with the spice (soft cinnamon or nutmeg-like?), soft florals, sandalwood and vanilla maybe are included..nice base notes. If you like soft orientals this would be one to try. I see it usually comes in the cologne form and I haven't tried that though it seems many of the vintage EDCs last longer than today's EDPs. I like it..

Oh Avon, time to bring this little gem back! A warm, feminine fragrance. Peppery and powdery at the same time. Like a spicier, sexed up version of Chanel #5. This drew compliments like no other.im waiting for the day when Avon brings this, Somewhere, and ExoticBeaches back... Anyone know if the odds are in my favor?

on 6/3/2011 11:42:00 PM

its an ok powdery scent smells very vintage like you would expect

on 5/31/2011 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is a soft spicy oriental. I can see why so many people like it. I has a certain sophistication that is very reminiscent of the 30's when I think this first came out. It has a real vintage vibe, which is a good thing in this case.

on 7/9/2006 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Here are some random images...guys like it and compliment...I remember which ones...when I heard it was created in the '30s I thought "Yes!"...Karen Black's Faye Greener in "Day of the Locust", I can see this on her dresser and can visualize this dresser facing one of the windows of the '30s row bungelow she shares with her dad and the unrelenting Los Angeles sun that's only partually blocked by some gaze curtins and the dresser's mirror...an edgey, primative Nanadebary with its peppery powderiness...slightly disturbing 'cause I picture its wearer as a very un-deb (Moi!), but like Faye Greener its wearer would aspire to the heights of a cotillion yet never...but in her own way, make some kind of debute or another. This is a sexy B-movie frag. The bottle I just swapped away is great and the label is even better, but its tall, plain brushed silver generic cylinder cap ruins the whole effect.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I was lucky enough to score several bottles in a lot buy, vintage bottles too. A very nice, soft and spicy frag. Reminds me of 50's sweater girls with their hair done just so. Because this is one of Avons' most sought after frags, they do bring it out in specials once in a while, but I can't comment on the newer juice. I read on another board that Cotillion is similar to Bois de Iles. If that is so, even better for those who love Cotillion!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I liked it, but not enough for it to be my HG.

This perfume is one of my favorites. I love the box & the bottle. It really works with my body chemistry. Yes it is old fashioned, but I am old-fashioned. I think of it as a traditional sophisticated scent without the high price tag. Yes you will need to touch up your scent; but at $7-$10 a large bottle it is really worth it!

on 11/2/2003 11:45:00 PM

My mom sold Avon when I was a child and Cotillion was one of the first scents I ever knew. I loved it then (1960's)and was pleased to see it offered again not too long ago.
I still love its soft, "lady-like" fragrance. Yep, it is old-fashioned, but since when is that necessarily bad?

Popular Fragrances