August 29, 2014 | 1341 users online

Fragrances - Avon - Cotillion

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2013 8:52:00 PM More reviews by tweetyli1

I got this in a vintage box from the early '60's of perfume oil, very cute. It's called "Jewel Collection" and is arranged in a snowflake pattern with several other vintage perfume oils. I found it on ebay. I remembered the name Cotillion from my grandmother's perfume collection on her dresser and knew I'd sampled it way back in the '50's. The name refers to a ballroom dance and I associated it with an early 20th century, old-fashioned social event. I expected it to smell like something a woman with a high lace-collared dress and petticoats would wear. It's actually a very appealing spicy oriental scent. It's soft and does dry down somewhat powdery but has depth to it. I just tried a couple drops on my wrists and several hours later it's faded to a skin scent but very nice. I'm not sure what the notes in it are but I would guess with the spice (soft cinnamon or nutmeg-like?), soft florals, sandalwood and vanilla maybe are included..nice base notes. If you like soft orientals this would be one to try. I see it usually comes in the cologne form and I haven't tried that though it seems many of the vintage EDCs last longer than today's EDPs. I like it..

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2013 9:53:00 AM More reviews by lindsaylapoet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh Avon, time to bring this little gem back! A warm, feminine fragrance. Peppery and powdery at the same time. Like a spicier, sexed up version of Chanel #5. This drew compliments like no other.im waiting for the day when Avon brings this, Somewhere, and ExoticBeaches back... Anyone know if the odds are in my favor?

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2011 11:42:00 PM More reviews by mmarrs

its an ok powdery scent smells very vintage like you would expect

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2011 9:51:00 AM More reviews by Radchickee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a soft spicy oriental. I can see why so many people like it. I has a certain sophistication that is very reminiscent of the 30's when I think this first came out. It has a real vintage vibe, which is a good thing in this case.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2006 3:56:00 PM More reviews by ewojdula

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Here are some random images...guys like it and compliment...I remember which ones...when I heard it was created in the '30s I thought "Yes!"...Karen Black's Faye Greener in "Day of the Locust", I can see this on her dresser and can visualize this dresser facing one of the windows of the '30s row bungelow she shares with her dad and the unrelenting Los Angeles sun that's only partually blocked by some gaze curtins and the dresser's mirror...an edgey, primative Nanadebary with its peppery powderiness...slightly disturbing 'cause I picture its wearer as a very un-deb (Moi!), but like Faye Greener its wearer would aspire to the heights of a cotillion yet never...but in her own way, make some kind of debute or another. This is a sexy B-movie frag. The bottle I just swapped away is great and the label is even better, but its tall, plain brushed silver generic cylinder cap ruins the whole effect.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2006 2:26:00 AM More reviews by perfumefanatic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was lucky enough to score several bottles in a lot buy, vintage bottles too. A very nice, soft and spicy frag. Reminds me of 50's sweater girls with their hair done just so. Because this is one of Avons' most sought after frags, they do bring it out in specials once in a while, but I can't comment on the newer juice. I read on another board that Cotillion is similar to Bois de Iles. If that is so, even better for those who love Cotillion!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2004 4:52:00 PM More reviews by PaintedSophisticate

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I liked it, but not enough for it to be my HG.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2004 1:06:00 PM More reviews by takemyhusbandplz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This perfume is one of my favorites. I love the box & the bottle. It really works with my body chemistry. Yes it is old fashioned, but I am old-fashioned. I think of it as a traditional sophisticated scent without the high price tag. Yes you will need to touch up your scent; but at $7-$10 a large bottle it is really worth it!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2003 11:45:00 PM More reviews by shelly59

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My mom sold Avon when I was a child and Cotillion was one of the first scents I ever knew. I loved it then (1960's)and was pleased to see it offered again not too long ago.
I still love its soft, "lady-like" fragrance. Yep, it is old-fashioned, but since when is that necessarily bad?

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2003 4:00:00 PM More reviews by mephitine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This fragrance works wonders with my body chemistry. It starts off a little sweet and traditional, but quickly changes to a luscious cinnamon sort of fragrance. Everyone who smells this on me thinks it's wonderful, but I doubt it would be the same on other people. I generally can't stand Avon perfumes, but this one is special.