Paul Mitchell Color Protect Daily Shampoo

2.4

Not tested on animals

on 3/1/2015 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Unfortunately this product was a big miss for me. I've always used drug store shampoo and decided to treat myself to a higher end product. This product doesn't lather up but even worse doesn't fully wash out of your hair. I tried a few different times, using less product, just using shampoo and no conditioner. Nothing changed the result. Def do not waste your money on this.

on 2/16/2015 11:27:00 PM

The packaging looks very clean and I love the push cap.

This leaves my hair feeling very light and clean. It lathers and washes really gently and it keeps my hair colour.

It is not the most moisturizing shampoo, but it doesn't leave my hair feeling extremely dry.

The smell is also not very perfumey. Clean and simple scent.

on 12/8/2014 4:43:00 PM

Both the shampoo and conditioner are so poor, I will be returning them. I've never had a shampoo/conditioner I disliked this much. The shampoo doesn't lather. It's very difficult to spread throughout my hair, whether I use a little or a lot. It also doesn't seem to rinse out very well. The conditioner distributes acceptably, but is incredibly hard to rinse off. It takes forever and even then I feel it's still on my hair somewhat. When my hair is dry, it's not smooth at all. I can tell the product is still on there. I can't even run my fingers through it without them getting stuck. Horrible purchase. I wish I had read reviews prior to spending my money. I trusted the name and that was a mistake.

on 11/23/2014 9:13:00 PM

Uggh. Horrible. My hair became sticky, strawlike, waxen and tangly all at the same time. I have thick, wavy, color-treated, shoulder-length hair that usually behaves decently, but this stuff made it SUCH a pain. And yes, I know how to rinse all the shampoo and conditioner out (I used both products separately and together and they both had this effect, so it's got to be the product formulation). Every time I brushed my hair, a weird white residue showed up on the boar bristles. It was disgusting.

I got the set with the conditioner and shampoo from Paul Mitchell (if I'd bought it at an unauthorized retailer, I would not be surprised it sucked so much, but I got it straight from the salon). Paul Mitchell does amazing hair color, but their hair color maintenance products have been disappointing.

I really really wanted to like it because they're cruelty-free, but no dice.

If you have it, return it for Wen by Chaz Dean or Güd from Burt's Bees: both have excellent shampoos for color-treated hair and they don't conduct or endorse animal testing. And a quick fix to undo all the product buildup: vinegar rinse!

on 10/27/2014 11:48:00 PM

Made my hair disgusting

on 7/29/2014 9:44:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Good cleanser, gentle for color-treated hair. Doesn't add a lot of moisture which I like because I always follow with a deep conditioning hair treatment. It's ok for the price.

on 7/28/2014 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Bought this shampoo at a salon, not a drugstore. I find it odd that the liter bottles don't come with pumps...Anyways, This shampoo is HORRIBLE. Worst shampoo I've ever used...and have tried pretty much every popular shampoo out there. My normally shiny, fine, color treated hair became dry, lifeless, dead, dull hair. The second I quit using this shampoo my locks thankfully returned to normal. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I feel bad for saying this about any Paul Mitchell product but do not buy! I picked this up from Cosmo prof after my teacher raved about it and it made my hair appear extremely damaged! It also felt like I had a ton of styling wax/gel in my hair.. So disgusting..

on 6/5/2014 10:21:00 AM

Firstly .. this is the best shampoo for protecting colour - I've dyed my hair several times from really light blonde to dark black/red and I found this shampoo has helped preserve the colour more than any other shampoo. The downside is yes, it does leave your hair with a greasy feeling, I wash my hair, blowdry it and it already feels greasy before I use any product in it, I find after two weeks or so my hair almost gets accustomed to it and it doesn't bother me as much as it does when I first start using it. I find normally every 4th or 5th day or if I go out and end up using more product I need to use another shampoo/conditioner the following morning. I also find using dry shampoo powder (No Drought from LUSH) helps me if my hair's getting pretty bad from it. Also, it's cruelty free so I like that.

on 3/17/2014 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this shampoo since my hair was dyed bright purple back in May 2013, and now that my hair is black, I'm still using it. This shampoo is amazing for daily washing. It doesn't strip hair of its color or natural oils, but cleanses it well enough that it's not left looking greasy or heavy. I find I am able to extend the life of my color by using this shampoo compared to others I've tried.
The packaging is a good, standard shampoo bottle with a press-style cap, rather than one that needs to be flipped open (which, in my experience, leads to broken nails). Once I reach the end of the product, I store the bottle upside-down and I'm able to get every last drop out without the bottle leaking all over my shower.
Price-wise, I find this to be less expensive than comparable products. It's not a drugstore price point, but let's face it - drugstore shampoos and conditioners tend to be rubbish.
By far my favorite shampoo.

Popular Shampoos