December 19, 2014 | 1560 users online

Styling Products - TiGi - Bed Head Manipulator

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2014 4:08:00 PM More reviews by evanlami

Like all Bed Head products, this stuff both smells great and is very expensive. However, if you're the type to splurge a bit on beauty products, this is a really great hair styling goo. Like I said, it smells great and also does a great job at styling hard-to-manage hair. It doesn't make your hair crunchy like gel but it does have incredible hold. The formula is a little bit goopy which is different than the way it used to be. I think this product is worth the price if you can afford it--you only need a little dollop of it, so if you use it correctly, it will last you a while.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2014 3:07:00 AM More reviews by randomrita

My boyfriend uses this to style his hair every morning and he has very hard hair to style- it likes to fall flat and stay there- but this product keeps it in place ALL DAY. Plus, it smells amazing. So glad I bought it for him, it works amazing. Would repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2014 9:28:00 PM More reviews by liszteria

Apparently, I'm late to the game as I did not know the product changed formulation. I assumed it was kind of runny and I just ran with it.

On one hand, it gives amazing hold and texture. I have short, stick-straight hair, and this helps me achieve a kind of "undone" messy look. It's got a pleasant smell too.

On the other hand, IT IS SO STICKY. This isn't that big of a deal as I wash my hands after styling my hair anyways (sticky hands = ew) but it does make me wary of traveling/messing with the container too much as cleanup would be horrible. With this sort of texture, a spill-proof squeeze bottle or a pump would be 1000000% better.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2014 9:58:00 PM More reviews by adrenirushxaudri

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm reviewing the old formula; just so happened to have finished a whole jar today (not just today, but you know what I mean). And from what I hear, the new formula is runny? The old stuff, the "good" stuff is tacky and stiff like a typical pomade. It wouldn't pool back to a smooth finish and wouldn't necessarily pour out of the container. I guess I'm out of luck if the new formula is rubbish. The classic version is very, very nice. On to the review...

I adore this stuff. It is like a gel/paste/wax/putty all together in terms of texture. It's slightly gummy and will, indeed, gunk up your locks if you're not careful or even if you are. It smells of dense, artificial coconuts but I love that scent. I remember every stylist I've ever been to using it on my hair for a piece-y, texturized look after a short cut with a razor. This is still what I use the product for. Now, the one I finished was on the classic bright blue tub with the silver lid (for the price, it's just enough but be prepared to drop more than $10 on a tub, coupons or no coupons) and it'll last you forever, as using it sparingly is part of the process. It's stringy, sticky, and works wonderfully if you want a texturized look.

Putting this stuff on towel-dried hair that is still mostly damp will keep away frizz from hair that's generally fine but still tends to attain flyaways. Putting it on dry hair gives great texture. And I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has a pixie. I've never had one but have used it on friends with shorter cuts (guys, too - especially guys!) and it gives incredible texture. Smells great in a sweet, clean kind of a way and tends to last. Not as strong as Got2B's spiking glue, but similar effect - and I will likely be going back to this stuff for texture if I can't find an original tub of Manipulator. Definitely check this out if you can find a salon with the classic tubs of this stuff.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2014 2:53:00 PM More reviews by 021269

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product but like the reviews from all the other readers the soupy product in the canister is to soft I keep on using it because I love it, and don't know what else to use I have spiked hair and it make my hair stay spiked . It seem like some of it is wasted because its so thin that when you open the jar it just spills out. I would try something else if I know other products with the same consistency

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2014 10:30:00 AM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE 8/2014: rite aid has the old formula!! It's either 'back' (maybe they listened to customer complaints) or it's old stock. Either way I'm psyched I shelled out for 2 and rating went from 1->5!!!!! I use on dry hair on my pixie it's THE BEST!! Open in store to make sure u get the gooey one NOT the liquidy one!!!

This formula CHANGED!!! This was my fave product since I've had my pixie back in October. When I bought it, it came from a dusty closet in super cuts and looked old, but the product was awesome in fact my husband was using it every day as well. We just ran out of it and super cuts said they weren't going to carry bed head anymore, so I found it at Kmart for twenty freakin bucks... Well when I got it home and opened it the product exploded and spilled out everywhere all over my sink!! The old formula would pour out but veryyyy slow, like if you held it upside down for a minute, and was stringy.... This stuff was LIQUID!! In a JAR!?! WARNING! Do not but this stuff. It is a shadow of its former self and ridiculously packaged. If they had to change it into a liquid formula, put it in a tube or something! Very un-user friendly! If you find this stuff, open it in the store before you buy (carefully!!) to see if it's the good one or the new crap one! I found an herbal essences texturizing wax that is somewhat similar to the original manipulator but not AS good; plus I found it on the clearance rack at A&P so it's probably also being discontinued. Wth??? I guess I have to use my American crew fiber which smells like alcohol and is a completely solid hard blob and too matte.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by lavenderwig

I was lucky enough to get this for free. If your hair is short, layered, needs texture, volume, some hold, this is expensive but it'll work for ya. If you want an inexpensive version, got2b's chaotic is less than $4 after tax for the same amount, flat jar shape and it has the same light blue color. I was just lucky to get Manipulator as a gift. And yes I can tell the difference between the two. I love putting Manipulator through my hair after a shower (not dripping wet, but I would need a towel to lay my head down). I air dry, and my hair gets noticably fuller when done, as opposed to without it my hair is blah. I just really recommend this product after getting a short layered bob. I style it with this so I don't have to use heat. My 'do looks darling after I twist in some texture or create voluminous bouncy fullness. Overnight curls last longer and pop more when I use this before I braid my hair at bedtime. Also when my friends hug me they can't help but smell how good my hair is. A classic bedhead product that should last forever.. Literally. I wonder when I'll run out of this, it's got to be years from now.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2013 2:22:00 PM More reviews by Snootus0722

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I know I'm not crazy...the formula is different, and I will be expressing my concerns as well to the company next. Ugh, not only is it like lotion now...it provides nothing for hold and it smells funny. I can pour it right out of the tub. Ive been a fan since 05', but I'm done. The last one I bought was the old formula, so I bought another and ugh, it was the greasy, runny stuff. Never again..19 dollars wasted.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2012 11:43:00 PM More reviews by sassylaurie1

I used to love this product until just recently. I have purchased for at least 10 years and would have rated it 5=BEST. When I bought a new jar last week my hairdresser warned me it had changed! Some research and it looks like they have changed manufacturers of the product.
It is very runny and slimy now, it used to stick to your fingers now it slides off. Very hard to pick any up out of the jar. It is very watery and almost looks oily and separated in the jar.

I am so disappointed that this long standing excellent product has changed so much. I plan on going to the website and also trying to provide my feedback direct to the company. :-(
Wonder if any other bed head products have changed?

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2012 12:18:00 PM More reviews by preeti33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love TIGI manipulator. I have long thick wavish curly hair which is on the drier side. Here's how I use it- after shampoo and condition, I apply JF leave-in conditioner for detangling(which is the only thing that product does), follow it with PM Round trip section wise(mind it, my hair is fairly thick) and finish it up with TIGI manipulator. I section my hair in two, take nickel-size of this, rub between my hands(u will need to melt the product before applying), then work through one section. I repeat the same with the other section. Then I start scrunching till I reach the desired style.
Word of caution- its texture might scare you at first, but you can learn to work with it gradually :D

Results- frizz free defined curls till the next wash. With this product in your hair, you can even go by an extra day without washing :) This is a total winner for me. I highly recommend it for wavy/curly hair.
Definetely repurchase.