April 18, 2014 | 1583 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Matte - Shadowy Lady

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by lindaedunn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have very fair skin and very green eyes (a dark green, with gold flecks). I need purples to make my eyes pop, and this one totally does that.

Whatever colors I'm using on my eyes, I always use/need a dark base color. Sometimes just to line, sometimes for the V, sometimes to smoke it out, but whether light makeup for work, or a more dramatic look for nighttime, a basic dark go-to color is a must.

THIS is that color for me. It's perfect. It is a matte, and as such is trickier to blend, but that is true for ALL mattes. And, if you want an all-purpose dark, like this, you're going to have to deal with matte. Use primer potion (or similar) and just take your time. Don't keep adding product, as this particular e/s is very buildable. This is a good thing unless you overdo it because you are impatient while blending.

Whether you have a big kit or a small one, if you have green eyes, this is the dark shade you want. Beats the pants off of embark or carbon. You will use it for EVERYTHING once you get used to it.

(Note: I gave the packaging a 5, but I just by the pans, not the individual eyeshadows. So if the individuals are a pain to use, I have no idea).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

This is a dark, sultry plum shade that works well as both a eyeliner and or blended lightly in the creases of my eyes. Like others have noted, it is a good alternative to black eyeshadow and works well with my brown eyes without pulling any red or gray tones. It does have a slight blue undertone to it but nothing dramatic. I like to pair this with other violet shades or with some of my brown or beige shades. I do find this highly pigmented but there can be some fallout if not careful. It lasts for a decent time on my oily lids with a primer. This is always in my eyeshadow collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2013 2:53:00 AM More reviews by yoshiii

I love this eyeshadow! I had been looking for a plum/dark purple color with no pink shade or undertone, which is very difficult to find, and this shadow definitely accomplished what I wanted.

I noticed some reviews said it was splotchy or not pigmented enough, but I think this shadow works best to obtain sufficient pigment with rounded-edge bristle brushes, such as the MAC #213 brush or e.l.f. eyeshadow C brush, instead of angled eyeshadow brushes.

This shadow is perfect for a smokey-eye that is very feminine and not as "harsh" as grey/black shadows. I use this eyeshadow with other eyeshadows MAC phloof and a medium-brown or taupe shadow to create eye depth and a "lighter" smokey-eye than using grey/black shadows (this will create a more glittery than matte smokey look though).

MAC eyeshadows may seem pricey, but I have used this one regularly for 1.5 yrs, and I am far from hitting pan yet (which also shows it is highly pigmented/you do not need much product each time you use it).

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2013 4:36:00 PM More reviews by mixyshop

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was such a great color for my skin, and I loved the longevity of the product. The only thing was that for some reason, my eyelid became really sensitive (?) and I couldn't wear it for the full day. I do have eczema, but am able to wear other colors, so I was disappointed. Hopefully i'll be able to find a similar shade that doesn't irritate my eyelid.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by TiaDGB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

The perfect shade of blackened plum for when you want a sultry eye look, but want to avoid the harshness of full on black shadow. In the pan, it appears almost black, but it's quite a bit softer when applied.

The color is a true black-based plum. It has no noticeable red or brown undertones, and is completely matte. This works beautifully as a liner too (especially if you dampen your brush with Fix+ or another mixing medium).

The flaws? The texture of this is quite dry. I don't find that it's as creamy or blendable as some of MAC's other shadows. It also goes on quite sheer. This doesn't bother me too much though, since it allows you to build the color up as much or as little as you want.

Overall, a great color for anyone to have in their collection. Not the best texture, but the unique color compensates for that.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2013 12:46:00 PM More reviews by 1happytrader10

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Returned this, it just looks grey on me. I see others who use it beautifully, but it did nothing for me. I think I expected more purple in it. It's also a little hard to get the color to show.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2012 5:45:00 PM More reviews by curlywurly100

Shadowy Lady is a beautiful squid ink purpley black with a hint of navy blue. if this had better pigmentation, it would be a top pick for me.
this is a Matte finish, which usually means that it takes a little effort to really get that great pigmentation. but you can always achieve a brilliant result. a lot of my MAC colours are Matte and many of them are my favourite colours. the problem with Shadowy Lady is that you can't really build the shade up to its full potential. it's as if i could go in with my brush over and over again and am not be able to add any more colour past a certain point! when i do manage to build it up to look alright, the end result is always patchy. i even noticed it in photographs. i have never been happy with a look when i've used this colour. i personally just didn't have a good experience with this one so i wouldn't recommend it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2012 11:37:00 AM More reviews by kelsielilly

I bought this shadow when I was brunette and I loved using it to create a smoky eye! I used it on the outer V of my eye and applied it pretty dark with some dark brown shades and it went on and blended rather nicely! However I'm blonde now so I use it on my lids where my upper lashes are as a bit of a liner! I love that it isn't harsh like liquid or pencil liners and the deep purple makes my green eyes pop! I also use it just very lightly at the V of my eye for a night time look! It helps keep my make up looking natural and not too harsh with my light skin and hair but does give me a bit of drama! love love love!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2012 4:13:00 AM More reviews by Riverso

It is my go-to eyeshadow #1! I am a huge dark smokey eyes person, so I use it almost every day, and the thing is that although it might appear pretty dark it shows up on my very wearable, natural, not garish and of course, not vulgar. It is an amazing product. I am happy that a MUA at the Mac's counter once suggested it to me and she was raving about it. So I decided to give a try and who knew that it would be my absolute staple eyeshadow that I reach for almost every day as I said. The color is so interesting it is a deep dark purple, so it's really unique and versatile.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2012 11:43:00 AM More reviews by Aether

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A beautiful, smoky, deep purple that looks lovely in the crease combined with Shale and a smidge of Satin Taupe. Looks great with Trax too.
I do find this one quite blotchy and hard to blend compared to other MAC eyeshadows, which is a shame as it does stop me from reaching for it as often as I would. For this reason I probably wouldn't repurchase as one of my main reasons for going to MAC is their great texture and ease of blending.