Clean & Clear Persa-gel 10

Active Ingredients: Benzoyl Peroxide (10%) (Acne Medication) Inactive Ingredients: Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Laureth 4, Sodium Hydroxide, Water

on 6/29/2015 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

This stuff means business. I dab it on as a spot treatment and it significantly reduces the size of breakouts within a couple hours. I only apply at night and would not use under makeup unless it was urgent.
The only problem is that I tend to overdo it often in an effort to get rid of pimples as soon as possible and it leaves dry patches on my skin for days. I'd rather have dry skin than breakouts, though. Also, it doesn't work on those hard, painful zits beneath the skin (cystic acne?)

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

it didn't work for me, which it's not unusual since my skin never works with anything...

on 6/11/2015 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I've been using this stuff for 15 years. In my 20s, I would slather this on every night and my skin was perfect. Yes, I have very tough skin! In my 30s, I noticed using it nightly was a little harsh. Then I went off birth control and all hell broke loose. Nothing helped. Anyway, it took a year and getting pregnant to get that under control. Now when I have a flare up, this is once again the only thing that helps. The acne.org BP does not work as well for me as this does. If I want to clear some pimples by morning, I need a thick layer of this. Yes it is drying. But I have to abuse my face with this and clear it up before I can go back to kinder gentler methods or else I just end up in a bad cycle of more and more zits. I would bring this stuff to a desert island.

on 5/11/2015 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

This is pretty great. I wasn't a big BP fan since I tried Kate Somerville's Anti Bac Clearing lotion and pretty much hated it. It could be that I used too much, or maybe I was experimenting with retinol at the same time, but it made layers of skin dry and peel off almost like a wart remover, and leave marks. I also can't use a lot of common ingredients but didn't know that back then, so I was having constant breakouts, and I pick at them. Since I stopped using those ingredients, my skin cleared up, but I also used La Roche Posay Effaclar on spots and that helps a lot and is very gentle.

But lately I'm either under more stress or picking more just because, or possibly I can't use tea tree or jojoba or something else I'm using as liberally as I'm using it, and I'm breaking out and picking a lot more again. So when that happens, I add this to my routine (really rarely! because it is strong!) for just a few days. I tried it at my uncle's house, or I probably never would have never tried it given how scared I was of strong BP. And it actually doesn't have any of the ingredients that break me out, that I know of. But just a little bit helps stop my popped pimples from reinfecting. I've never really had luck getting pimples to go down unpopped, but I also put a little on forming bumps and whiteheads in the hope that it will help that a little as well.

When I do use this, it's at night. I do notice the whiteness and try to kind of wipe the edges so I'm not over drying the area. I also can't really imagine using this under makeup. I usually work super early in the morning so will wash my face after work and use this then as well as at night. But I can't use it too many days in a row on the same spot. I also have to remember to be patient and not over do it, but this definitely helps. It's another one of those products that isn't a miracle cure but it does help make life just a little bit easier. And it lasts a long time so it's a good value.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff saved my skin! I've been dealing with cystic acne for years and nothing helped. In only 1 1/2 days of using this product I saw a dramatic change! It wasn't drying for me. Love it

on 5/10/2015 12:02:00 AM

My problem with most acne spot treatments is that they stop working for me after awhile. And that's exactly what happened with this. It took me a few years to use this up, because I really only get the occasional TOTM break-out, but when I do, it's usually a doozy. This never really seemed to help those kinds of break-outs. Where this would work, is if I had a small, just under the skin bump about to rear its head. I would dab some this on, and it would usually fade before becoming a blow-up. So this isn't awful. Just doesn't want to work anymore for me.

Definitely helps dry out a pimple but not wearable under makeup. Leaves a dried up white mark anywhere you apply it

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This product saved my skin! I had mild acne as a teenager, but it got a lot worse in my mid twenties. I have tried EVERYTHING from birth control to prescriptions, drugstore to high end, etc. etc. and nothing has ever worked but this. I have super oily tough skin that can take just about anything, so I don't use this as a spot treatment--I apply all over my face before bed. I did have to start using a heavier moisturizer than I used to because I started getting dry patches, but it's worth it. I cannot believe how this has changed my skin. It will bleach your towels and sheets, so I just only use a white pillowcase and have a specific white towel for drying my hands after washing this off. Best $5 I have ever spent.

on 3/25/2015 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I think the key for this product is using it sparingly. My skin, despite having gone through a bit of a crazy spell recently, is usually pretty calm, and I maybe get 1-2 hormonal pimples a month. They can last, however, for a week or two (longer sometimes), and I've found that this Persa-gel really is the best and easiest treatment.

It can dry your skin out like crazy if you over apply, so I suggest using it only at night, or even every other day if you are trying to treat the same spot. It does, however, do a great job drying up pimples quickly, and reducing their size overnight. This is definitely a spot treatment, and I would not recommend spreading it over a large part of your skin (your entire forehead, for example, or chin), as I have tried that in the past, and it resulted in diminished breakouts but also some serious redness.

As always, I try to make sure I wear sunscreen, especially when using an acne treatment, and make sure I'm moisturized. For the price, it really can't be beat.

on 2/18/2015 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

my skin is kind of sensitive but also very acne-prone so i was cautious about using a product this strong. i try to use it very sparingly, only for "emergencies." it seems that every time i use it, the pimple is still there after one night, but after the second night, it's almost disappeared. but it's kind of a trade-off because although it can help get rid of a pimple, this stuff usually makes the skin around it red and itchy. nothing too crazy, just a mild inconvenience, but if you have really sensitive skin you probably shouldn't use this product. also some people say it leaves a ring around where you apply it; this is because it hasnt gotten in your skin and it's not going to work. you need to apply 2-3 very thin layers to the area you're treating and make sure to rub each layer in so it doesnt just dry on top of your skin.

Popular Treatments (Face)