Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream

3.6

Petrolatum 56.8%, Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Fragrance, Salicylic Acid, Propylparaben, Castor Oil, Corn Oil, Tocopherol, BHT, Iron Oxides

I will always have this on hand. It is a miracle worker for me. The best lip balm ever. It also tames fly aways (very very light hand) and helps with dry skin. It lasts forever and ever. I use constantly and still have plenty. I love the tube as it is so convenient to just throw in my bag. It has been around forever for good reason.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Let's tackle this claim by claim, shall we?
What it is:
Not a cream. A very thick, semi-translucent, dark-tinted ointment with the consistency of drying glue. So you know right away that this isn't something you can luxuriously slather on. It's not fast-absorbing. This will stay put on your skin for hours, which makes it a fantastic a protective barrier, but a terrible product if you want an immediately moisturised effect. It smells medicinal (there's a fragrance free version) but the scent doesn't linger beyond 3 minutes. It's not the worst thing to smell.
What It does:
Oh boy! This claims to be the skincare version of the WD-40 spray that can clean, lubricate, fight rust, unstick gum and do 200 other things. Eight Hour Cream says it can do everything from soften cuticles and fix flyaways to gloss up cheeks and fight dry patches.
What it did for me:
As a lip balm: THE BEST DAMN THING I EVER PUT ON MY LIPS! No breakouts, no problems with Retro Matte lipsticks on top. No smearing. No stickiness. No trouble. Lips went from winter to summer overnight. If you only use this as a lip balm, you've still made a great purchase.
As a cuticle softener: I had to massage like a beast to warm up and thin out the consistency and used it overnight. Worked as well as Vaseline.
To tame flyaways: Rubbish. My strands were still all over the place, and a lot greasier.
To moisturise dry patches: YESSS! I had a dry, itchy, flaky nose from a bad cold. This has been a lifesaver. Again, an overnight rescuer. Though I used it 3X a day.
As a brow groomer: Eww. My brows remained determinedly untamed, but shinier. Stick to brow gel.
As a brow conditioner: About as good as Vaseline.
As a cheek highlighter: Ah yes. That old story about runway models using it to accentuate their features. On us regular folks, the cream will give you glossy cheeks for exactly 1 minute (the time it takes to walk the runway, I'd imagine, or take a selfie) and then all the glossiness will dry up. So meh.
For cuts and cracked heels: Yes and no! Did nothing for shoebite or doggie-paw scratches. Nivea is nicer in that multitasking department. But healed cracked heels faster than Nivea.
As a makeup remover: NOOOOO! You'll need half a tube, making it a pretty expensive emergency aid. All it did was break down the products,makeup. I still needed to cleanse after. So you may as well use a make-up remover to start with.
As a glossy sheen over bare lids or under eyeshadow: STOP! You'll have gummy, sticky lids for 1 minute, no visible sheen after 5 minutes and oily lids for the rest of the day. And it does not work well with shadows.
As an in-flight moisturiser: Actually yes. But spritz water on your face before application so it locks the moisture in.
As a lash definer: No difference. Don't bother.
On burns. Alas, I did not scorch myself in the interests of this experiment.

All in all, I'd buy this again if it was on discount. It's killer as a lipbalm and dry-spot rescue salve, but average (sometimes below average) at everything else. You'll be disappointed if you expect all-round miracles, but it does work exceptionally well for a small set of problems.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This stuff is pretty amazing, especially in the winter. I love that it has a million different uses! I use it as a lip balm, a cuticle treatment, an eyebrow shaper, a dark spot corrector on my face, and I put it anywhere my skin is really dry especially my elbows. Truly a classic and definitely one of my staple products. I took off one lippie for the packaging. I would prefer it not be in a squeeze tube because I hate them but that's just my opinion!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought this after seeing so many great reviews around. I use this every single day as a lip balm, I've had the same tube for over a year and there's still plenty left. I have never used a better quality lip balm. This is definitely an HG product for me. Will repurchase again and again. You only need the smallest amount to get super smooth lips for several hours. No need to reapply more than once or twice in a day for me.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

THIS. Totally recommended by Lisa Eldridge in countless of her videos, and I was not disappointed. I take a lot of flights, and never found a cream or moisturiser that was light and hydrating. It was either too thick, or so light it virtually disappeared into nothing in the dry cabin air.

This works in the plane, in air-conditioned areas, on mild sunburns, dry lips, dry cuticles, anywhere on the skin that needs a deep hydration. It is truly amazing.

A cool trick I like to do show people its "magic". Take one of their hands, or dry nail bed, hardened hangnails, apply and lightly massage the cream in, and compare. They usually gasp out of disbelief.

I hope they never discontinue this product. One gripe though is that I realise that there is a whole line of Eight-Hour Cream based products, (body, chapstick, scented, unscented etc), it gets quite confusing, and I am not sure if they work better than the original.

I am not even sure if this page is for the original, as my tube looks completely different from the picture at the top of the page.

Real basic ointment for lips, hands, feet, eyebrows and eyelashes. I've used some on my dry forehead but was worrying incase it got in my hair or melted down my face into my pores. I love the colour. Nice for a dry skin treatment I guess but I have other products that are much less hassle. Not a fan of greasy products unless it has a transdermal effect like with organic coconut oil etc Will take it on holiday because the packaging is handy.

I do believe this deserves to be the classic that they say it is. I've raved about it enough that I can't keep my friend out of it. I have lost count of how many times she has asked, 'can I use your eight hour cream?' I wouldn't call it a cream at all. It has the consistency of a thicker Vaseline. I love the stuff, though. I can find a use for it during any season. It soothes my wintertime scaly legs like a charm. It looks great on my skin in the summer giving a bit of glow. It's great for feet, hands, elbows, lips... All kinds of things. It really is a versatile product. It's a total winner for dry chapped skin, for certain.

I wouldn't slather it all over as it is a bit heavy. It doesn't take but a pea sized amount to cover an entire appendage... Lol! Like a leg or arm. I think it sinks in and loses any stickiness rather quickly. The smell is tolerable to me as I think it fades quickly enough. The original formula has the medicinal smell that many complain about. There is an unscented version which I haven't tried yet but I will.

I'd buy it again. I already have more than once. Though a full tube of this lasts a very long time making it worth every cent! This is one of the few beauty products that I really consider a must have.

I know everybody has owned this. Im not so sure they still using it though...
Rumour has it that this contains cortisone, not sure if its.
Anyway, if you can pass the horrible smell, i would still not recommend this even if the hole worldsvwas rubbing this on everywhere, mainly the lips. It yellows any surface you use it on, it doesnt really do anything else, it tastes plastic and did i mention it yellows you?
Be gone, awful pointless cream, you.

I like this product but I wouldn't really say it's a HG product. It helped clear up patches of dry skin in winter and soothed my stress-induced eczema, however I feel that Lucas' Paw Paw is superior, and at 1/2 the price will remain my handbag staple for chapped lips and random dry patches.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Despite the hateful smell (I now know this also comes scent free) I love this product. Chapped lips? 8 hour cream. Cracked hands? Hour cream. Brutal stiletto blisters? 8 hour cream! I have a tube permenantly my desk, and I use it several times throughout the day. Also unusually, I used this on my ears after deciding to shrink my ear stretches down to a sensible size ten for my wedding, and it helped them along swimmingly whilst keeping the skin soft and supple and pucker-free. It's a miracle for hangnails too. Love it!