October 24, 2014 | 1815 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 30

rated 2 of 5 on 8/8/2014 4:11:00 AM More reviews by frippery

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

this seems to be one of the few sunscreens out there that provides broad spectrum (uva/uvb) protection AND is formulated with oily skin in mind (though in my opinion, they missed the mark on the latter).

i stopped using this a couple years ago because it stung my eyes-- just the close proximity made them burn and feel irritated, never mind if i accidentally got the product in my eyes by rubbing them.

despite the dry feel, it looked very shiny on my skin, clogged my pores and broke me out a little.

since i've used sunscreen that contains homosalate without issue, i think i can rule that out as the culprit. it could be one of any of the other 4 active ingredients or for that matter the amount of fragrance they put in this that made this formulation problematic for me. i'm not sure why this company, who touts itself as "The #1 Dermatologist-Recommended Brand" adds fragrance to so many of thier products.

i might try this again in the future in the off chance they've changed the amount of irritants.

Active Ingredients as of review:
Avobenzone (3%)
Homosalate (8%)
Octisalate (5%)
Octocrylene (4%)
Oxybenzone (4%)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2014 7:54:00 AM More reviews by Sarahtiel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Itís quite hard to get this product in the UK but itís been so worth it for me. Due to being very fair skinned and using both Duac and Differin acne treatments Iím really supposed to wear sunblock all the time during the day. This is particularly important to me since, although Iíve always been pretty careful with the sun and have never been burnt, in my early 20s I already have fine lines on my forehead, under my eyes and around my mouth. Up until now Iíd never found a sunblock that I could apply makeup over without it looking cakey and horrible, so with quite a lot of problem areas to cover this was a daunting prospect. Most others Iíve tried also tend to give me spots, even the face-specific ones.

Apart from taking a bit more time to rub in, and leaving a slight residue (which is invisible but can be felt if you touch your skin) this feels just like an ordinary moisturiser. It doesnít leave a white cast on my skin, though Iím so pale anyway I donít tend to have as much of a problem with that as others do. My skin is incredibly oily anyway so it doesnít keep me matte, but itís no worse than if I use an ordinary oil-free moisturiser, if anything Iíd say its slightly better. I do find I need to use a primer over the top to get the best results from my makeup, but I do that normally anyway.

I use this every day now and have been for several months. My skin is as clear as itís been in years (though I donít specifically attribute this to the sunscreen). Biggest drawback is that it does sometimes sting my skin when I first apply it (many sunscreens have this effect on me), though it doesnít seem to cause any lasting redness or irritation and sometimes itís completely fine. Another problem I have with it is that the packaging is very wasteful, I have to cut it open to get the last of the cream out (which is usually several applications worth).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2014 4:15:00 PM More reviews by saramason111

I wish reviewers would make sure they're reviewing the correct product before writing reviews and leading people astray. The "most helpful" review with 45 likes is the review for the wrong Neutrogena product. It's NOT a review for Ultra Sheer SPF 30. Ultra Sheer does not have retinyl palmitate or ascorbic acid as this reviewer (and another as well) lists. I'm holding the box in my hand right now and it doesn't list these ingredients. The ingredients at the top of the MUA website under "ingredients" is correct though.

Anyway, this SPF is listed as "good" by Paula Begoun. It dries matte and serves its purpose as blocking the sun out. I add 3 drops of antioxidant serum to it since it doesn't have antioxidants. For me it's perfect in the summer when my t-zone tends to be an oily mess; this leaves my skin matte.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2014 10:36:00 PM More reviews by cavo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product irritated my face tremendously. It felt it was on fire and turned red and inflamed. Too bad because it is readily available and does not leave a white cast. In the trash it went.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2014 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Narmeenbayy

Burns my face like crazy!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2014 5:00:00 PM More reviews by idmanm

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This initially was great it went on smooth and it didn't make me look oily through out the day. Plus there was zero white cast! Unfortunately I wore this for a week and it made my face super irritated and caused me to break out. I'll continue to use it on my hands and body until it's used up. Such a disappointment.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Lforde46

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Right now this is my favorite daily sunblock and I'll keep buying it until I find a better sunblock for the price.

Use Notes: I apply after cleansing in the morning with a heavier hand than I would my moisturizer on face and neck. I wait a few minutes to let it "set" then apply moisturizer, then foundation, etc.

Pros:

* On the less expensive end of the price range I'm willing to pay for this type of product. I just found it for $4.59 plus shipping on Amazon and I think it's in the $7 range at Target, etc.
* Light weight finish. No unreasonable residual oiliness. Slightly tacky finish, but less than you would expect from most sunblocks. Finish is normal after applying the moisturizer and foundation.
* No breakouts, white heads, etc. I have pretty normal skin.
* Not drying on my skin.
* No redness other than normal. I have warm-toned skin with surface redness.

Cons:

* If I'm being really nit-picky, I would say I did experience a slight white cast. I use Urban Decay Naked liquid makeup in 4.0 applied with the RT Expert Face Brush and that covers it. If I weren't wearing makeup I would still use the sunblock and the white cast would not be obvious enough to bother me.

I can't see myself switching to another sunblock unless something changes with this product or I started lemming another hyped-up sunblock.

Foot note: I have tried beauty balms and foundations with spf but I don't feel that I apply them heavily enough to get any real sunblock coverage out of them. I do use Urban Decay Naked Beauty Balm when I'm in a hurry and skip the sunblock and moisturizer. I have not used sunblock most of my life but I hit 43 this year and have noticed age spots so I'm using sunblock to help prevent more spots.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2014 12:11:00 PM More reviews by SavvyChic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used until I had a number of pimples that I normally never have. It was so bad that this was the only thing it could be. My neck had huge painful pimples, that I urge you if you break out even rarely, to stay clear of this! Sometimes I get one a month, but have quite a few now after using this. This was the only new addition to my skincare routine. I had been using Paulaschoice but she discontinued her 30 spf, I need to search again. I will use it on my hands, but will never buy again. Besides, I heard this company tests on animals.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/27/2013 2:15:00 AM More reviews by Calliopi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This ss turned my face bright red and stung. Chemical ss don't agree with my skin. My mom on the other hand uses this and loves it. So it all depends on your skin sensitivities.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/6/2013 8:56:00 PM More reviews by reinabeina

Application was smooth and the finish matte after application with NO white cast. Makeup goes on smoothly over it as well (liquid or powder foundation works fine).

However, with my oily, acne, sensitive skin, I was oily after an hour and my skin breaks out when using this. Shame because the finish it really nice.

I have resorted to using this product as a body moisturiser in the morning. I protect my arms and hands as they are usually exposed to the elements.

It's also more for daily use. It is of average water resistance and cannot be used during sport or water activities. Easily washed off with soap and water.

Packaging is slim and smooth. Smoothness funnily enough mirrors the smooth finish of the product.