Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil (100% Pure Australian)

4.3

Not tested on animals

Tea Tree Oil (100% Pure Australian)

on 3/12/2015 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Note: I have not specifically used Desert Essence's brand, but I have used Trader Joe's and CVS store brands that I could not tell the difference between.

When I used tea tree oil, I would put it on after my moisturizer and a layer of oil. Before the layer of oil had time to sink in I would tab a bit of tea tree oil on with a q-tip. I found it effective as a spot treatment for small pimples in that it would help them go away faster. The smell is herbal and medicinal, but does not linger past an hour on the skin (although I could sometimes smell the q-tip in the trash the day after).

It worked for several months, until it started irritating my skin. I think I may have developed a sensitivity to it because instead of helping pimples go away faster, it only made the surrounding skin around it redder.

Overall, I thought tea tree oil was a solid product when it worked for me and I find it unfortunate that I developed a sensitivity to it.

on 2/22/2015 4:53:00 PM

Small disclaimer: The tea tree oil I've been using is Origin brand (not to be confused with Origins) that I picked up from Target in the vitamin section a long time ago. I've been using this for about 5 years and am only half-way finished with the product, although I only use it sparingly for fear of reducing its effectiveness from using it too often. It says it's 100% pure Australian oil. And in case you're wondering, yes... my product is technically expired (using same bottle for 5 years) but even then I still found the product very effective FYI.

Skin background: I have combo-oily skin depending on the season that's quite sensitive and acne-prone. Despite having oily skin, my skin is also dehydrated. Most of my breakouts are hormonal and product-reactive, although I do have "random" small active breakouts.

I really like this product best as a way to spot treat active blemishes. I generally use this product less than once a week, depending on the severity of my current breakouts. I usually apply by wetting a Q-tip with water to prevent the Q-tip from absorbing too much, dipping into the bottle of oil, and then applying to my spots. If I am using this on wider areas of my face, I would dilute the oil separately with more water before applying with a cotton pad. Please start with a diluted solution before increasing the strength or trying to use it straight, because it could be very irritating. I found that this product very quickly mitigates the size of my pimples and the general condition of my breakouts. Pimples that already came to a head quickly dried out, and red bumps or inflamed skin has reduced and calmed down the next day. Since it is drying, make sure to keep your skin moisturized. I also like to use this to clean and sanitize my small toiletry tools (tweezers, clippers, etc.), and is great used as a natural deodorant to kill smelly bacteria.

Note it has a very strong medicinal scent. Since it's a natural scent and not added fragrance, I didn't mind it but if you are not a fan of strong, herbal eucalyptus-esque scents please beware. I'm not adverse to most "chemical" products, but I do enjoy the simplicity of natural products if they work. Even if it doesn't work out well for your face, I highly suggest trying it out as a natural deodorant alternative (I apply in the morning on top of coconut oil on days I'm not worried about sweating). I will say, please don't overuse this! Using too much (full strength) is extremely irritating, and I've noticed using it too often will reduce its effectiveness (or I could just be paranoid of created bacteria that will be resistant to the effects of tea tree oil). Hence, I only leave this for occasional use, alternating with benzoyl peroxide treatments when I have breakouts.

So far using it as infrequently as I do, it's still been a very effective product each time I've used it. Once I finally finish up this bottle, I'd like to try purchasing the Desert Essense brand. The bottle that I bought was about $10 and it's been well worth the price. I'll definitely repurchase tea tree oil and recommend it for anyone who is acne-prone, granted you are careful with its strength and frequency of use.

on 2/21/2015 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Tea tree oil has become a staple in my face routine. I have acne prone skin with hormonal breakouts, and tea tree oil has really helped those zits that wanted to become massive simmr down a little bit :)

on 2/20/2015 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have very dry, sensitive skin that is pretty much flawless however every now and then I do get the odd spot. This is my go-to to treat those little blemishes because it is the most effective thing I've come across. My dryness and sensitivity comes from chronic medical conditions so there's really no way to treat them but this doesn't irritate my skin at all. This is huge for me because when it comes to any sort of acne product it usually gives me a severe reaction. To find one this effective (and natural) is awesome for me. I would never use this as an all over toner as it would burn and dry out my skin like heck but as a spot/small area treatment, it is amazing. I also a drop of this in anti-itch lotion because I have gluten sensitivity and get a full body rash that is very itchy. That, along with my prescription steroid oil definitely help with the itching. I definitely recommend this as it is multi-purpose and super effective.

on 2/20/2015 6:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

So I've struggled with mild acne basically my whole life. However, whenever I had those break outs I would treat then carefully and never ended up with scarring. My acne scar would usually fade after a couple days and never would see them again.
However, after using tea tree oil as a spot treatment since benzoyl peroxide was too strong for me, it has left me with the worst acne scars ever! I still have ones from when I first started using the tea tree oil months ago! Some of my acne scars have even became indented into my skin! I have never had acne scars indented into my skin in the past 8 years of having acne.
Please don't put 100% tea tree oil on your acne. It will leave it dark brown and leave you with really bad scarring.

on 9/9/2014 9:43:00 AM

I use Jason's pure teat tree oil and have been for a couple of months now. I use it for several things, mainly for face masks and after-shave. It's absolutely amazing and I don't know how I lived without tea tree oil before this!
For my face mask, I add in 3 drops of tea tree oil with my Aztec clay mask and ACV. It helps reduce the redness of my break outs and I feel like my existing pimples are always smaller the next day.
For after-shave, I just mix a few drops into my lotion and apply to my freshly shaven underarms and legs. I used to get bad razor burns/bumps on my upper thigh, but that has completely stopped since using tea tree oil with my lotion! It was a miracle.
If it's too harsh for your dry/normal skin face, definitely keep it around for the no razor burn benefits! I also am a part of the minority that enjoys the aroma. :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Whenever I get the dreaded, inevitable (for me) "bump" on a healing ear cartilage piercing, I add a tiny drop of this to my regular sea salt soaks. It dries it up without fail within a week. Every. Time.

The smell is strong and noticeable, but this stuff is so magical that I don't even care. It doesn't stink or anything. It's just strong and distinct.

I do not ever use this on my face; it's too strong for my sensitive skin and turns it red.

I try to write all my reviews the same way I'd like to see reviews, so first off here are my stats:
- 18 years old
- Combination skin, oily t-zone and slightly dry cheeks
- Acne prone, especially to black heads
- Some acne scarring (hyperpigmintation)

Tea tree oil is so universal, if you honestly don't have a bottle in your home you're missing out! I've never used another type of tea tree oil besides this brand (plus I'm a sucker for aussie things), so please take note of that.

Pros
- It says what it is: 100% tea tree oil
- Love that it comes in big bottles
- Universal product, seriously!
- I use it as a toner full strength at night before spritzing Heritage brand rosewater to calm it down a little, it seriously clears out my pores and I RARELY get pimples (but alas, those damned blackheads are here to stay..)
- Great for ingrowns! I use this after I get waxed and it keeps things at bay

Cons
- Do NOT use this if you have normal/dry skin unless you HEAVILY dilute it
- Packaging is a bit inconvenient due to the really wide bottle opening if you only want a few drops out of it
- While I do use this full strength on my face (I have pretty thick skin), I used this on my shoulders full strength to try to get rid of some pimples and it SEVERELY dried my skin, I looked like a burn victim I had to nurse it with Vaseline and lotion for days!

PLEASE ONLY USE THIS FULL STRENGTH IF YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO SENSITIVE SKIN WHATSOEVER! Otherwise, dilute it and know how strong you can take this stuff!

on 4/5/2014 11:28:00 AM

LOVE IT as a spot treatment.
I would NOT use this as a toner/or all over my face as preventative measure against breakouts....it is STRONG,...you either love or hate the smell (doesnt bother me but my entire family complains..LOL).
I use a q-tip at night and put undiluted directly on blemish...works great!

on 3/28/2014 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

So...I tried this about a month ago after having some minor acne. I heard rave reviews about it. I have sensitive skin so I diluted it to about 5-10%. I applied it directly to my blemishes with a cotton swab. Wasn't doing a thing at all for me. I decided to use to mix the diluted treatment into my toner for a little kick. Well lo and behold, about a week later a got an abundance of little red dots all over my forehead that is still clearing up to this day. Also, I went skiing around the time I was using this, and it was brutally cold. To my surprise, about a week later I experienced SEVERAL cystic breakouts along my chin. I am still suffering from it's devastating effect on my poor ole' skin. I might also had that my chin has NEVER EVER been an issue for me with respect to breakouts. I know this isn't hormonal as my hormones are regulated.

This does work decently well for feet though.. Soak them in a bucket full of hot water and add a few drops. I will never put this on my skin again. Wayy wayy wayyy too potent and drying.

Popular Treatments (Face)