November 25, 2014 | 1494 users online

Eye Primer - Chanel - Eye Shadow Base (Base Ombre a Paupieres)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 4:14:00 PM More reviews by lingre

So before I began I needed to go look at the reviews to see why this wasnt rated higher. I absolutely love it. I have no issues with it being dry or drying out. I have year round allergy sinus issues and I guess I tend to touch my eyes a bit more than the next person. This really keeps my eyeshadow on all day. I love eyeshadow, I layer it and take my time. I let the primer dry full first before applying the eyeshadow and its perfect. All night. I wish I didnt like it as much because its too damn expensive. The color I have is beige and Im Olive complexion. I've used it with Chanel eyeshadows and also MAC eyeshadows. I never have any issues with creasing. I do have large eyes- think Mila Kunis- so I do have a lot of eyelid to work with. Perhaps its not working for people with more Asian type eyes and less eyelid? I dont know, but I love it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2013 6:06:00 PM More reviews by lnielsen22

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used this in Bright this morning and thus far I've had my eye make-up on for 5 hours. Usually by this point I have major creases and have lost half the color on my lids. My eyeshadow is still absolutely flawless and perfect. No creases! I have super hooded eye lids that are also oily and no primer I have tried works for more than a few hours on me. Even Urban Decay. I will see how things are going after ten hours. That's the real test. But I'm thinking if this stuff can get me past two hours that's saying something for me.

I'm giving a low rating on packaging because I thought mine was broken the first time I tried to use it. I twisted and twisted and twisted and nothing happened. No color appeared in the brush until I darn near twisted the tube 20 times. I was in the process of googling "How do you use Chanel's Professional Eyeshadow Base?" when the cream finally started coming out. So be careful when you do this. Don't end up twisting too much product out like I did and wasting it. After you get it going, it doesn't take more than one twist.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2012 2:01:00 PM More reviews by jmp24

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have two of these, Rose and Lilac. They are pretty decent, though like a lot of Chanel products, it's hard to justify the price.

They come in a long thin tube, with a brush applicator. You turn the bottom of the tube, and the product squeezes into the brush. It doesn't work very well, trying to get it on your lids evenly with the brush, so I just squeeze the stuff out of the brush and apply with my fingers. It can be worn alone, and stays on nicely all day, and I wear it this way when I don't feel like being bothered with shadow but still want a little color on my lids. It evens out the skin tone. Both the colors I have are almost matte - just a wee bit of shimmer. You can wear them heavy, or sheer - but either way, a little goes a long way, so these should last me a while.

Mostly I use it as a base, and I think it works well as one - but it dries fast, so you have to put it on and then put your shadow on right away, while it is still a little tacky. Otherwise, it creates too dry of a surface for my liking as a primer.

Not a bad product, but as I said above, it's not really worth the price - there are many comparable shadows and bases out there for much less.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2012 10:06:00 AM More reviews by chochonui

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have gone through 2 bottles of this. I love out it can be a base or a shadow when used alone.

It goes on very smooth. It doesn't crease through out the day even when I have semi oily skin.

However, it runs out fast~

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2011 8:09:00 AM More reviews by darkharbour

This is a nice sheer wash over the lids, but nothing special. I have this in 90 which is a beige-gold. You have to shake it up before you brush it on. It did not cause any creasing, but it did not make shadow hold longer. I do not have very oily lids.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2011 10:41:00 AM More reviews by bheidi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had never tried this before but I went to the Chanel counter and they used it on me for a mini-makeover. This stuff is amazing! I accidentally fell asleep with my make-up on (long night) and when I got up, though my eyeliner and my mascara wasn't in optimum condition, my shadows still looked great! No creasing after 10+ hours. It's too expensive for me, but otherwise it's great :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2011 2:01:00 PM More reviews by LeslieCZ

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a (new, I think) pen/brush eyeshadow base from Chanel. A tiny dab, patted and blended on the lid, really works to hold shadow on all day (and well into the night). It is easy to use and goes on very smoothly. It makes all my shadows go on more evenly and stay on without caking or flaking. I got this in BRIGHT which is quite illuminating. It also comes in other colors, including at least one matte shade.

UPDATE: After using this for a few months, the brush began deteriorating and the formula became dryed out and started caking; very disappointing after how well it worked at first. I just switched to Nars new Pro-Prime Smudgeproof Eyeshadow base (which I also reviewed) which works much better for me. So, I downgraded my lippies to 4. Chanel's is still a good product, just too expensive not to last longer and I think better for oily lids as a couple of prior reviewers mentioned.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2010 1:54:00 AM More reviews by lblasucci

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have very oily eyelids and have tried Bare Escentuals, Bobbi Brown (Vanilla Stick,) Laura Mercier, MAC, and Urban Decay. I know I'm missing a few more. Chanel is hands down the best eyeshadow base that I've used. I can go ten to twelve hours with a quick touch up in between (if I'm in the mood.) The price is a litte high, but after I thought about it, I tallied up all the money that I've wasted on eyeshadow primers, that if I was lucky, I would get four hours before my make-up disappeared.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/28/2010 9:13:00 AM More reviews by feiste

I did not like this primer at all. I got this in beige and it goes on smoothly like it's packed with silicon (which it probably is) and dries to a smooth finish. My main peeves with this product are that:
1) The beige is a little more pigmented than my skin colour and my eyeshadow colours get muddied when I put them over this primer.
2) To add insult to injury, my eyeshadow doesn't stay on any longer than usual.

I got this primer after trying it on at Barney's in LA where it's pretty dry. The MA did her magic and I was so impressed with the overall look that I bought this but after trying it out a couple of times, I found that it wasn't doing what it's supposed to be doing. Then I moved to Singapore, which is very humid, and tried it again just in case and it's become even less impressive!

I'm currently using NARS's eyeshadow base, which dries transparent and actually helps my eyeshadow last. It's also US$8 cheaper than this waste of space. The greatest irony is that most Chanel eyeshadows I've tried are so finely milled and pigmented that they're perfectly fine on their own. Maybe that's why Chanel hasn't felt the need to develop an eyeshadow primer that actually works.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2010 10:11:00 PM More reviews by heartbeeps

I'm not hard to please when it comes to makeup, & since I shelled out 30+$ for this, I thought I would be getting something phenomenal. Nope.
The base did not work that well at all. It was hard to apply, even with the new tip. I had to first get the primer all over the brush on my hand, therefore wasting a lot. & it's not worth the price for the staying power.
Oh yeah, & this thing is tiny.
The color peaked through too much through the shadow also.
I love Chanel... but this thing is NOT worth it : (