July 25, 2014 | 1593 users online

Polishes - Essie - Ballet Slippers

rated 2 of 5 on 7/17/2014 11:14:00 PM More reviews by swordfern

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh Ballet Slippers, how I want to love you, but you keep letting me down. I'm an experienced polisher, and this has got to be one of the most frustrating polished to apply. Minimum 3 coater. Good luck going for a sheer look. The color is lovely, if perhaps a bit too cool for my skin tone, but the application is horrible.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2014 9:56:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

I have a love-hate relationship with this polish. I love the color, it looks especially cute when I've got a glow on my hands from self-tanner in the summer. However, this is SO STREAKY! I like the color best with a base coat, two coats of color and a top coat, but I can never get the coverage even enough with just 2 coats. Usually I like light colors for my fingers because they hide chips better, but this is really high maintenance!
Bottom line, I'll use up this bottle but I won't be buying again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2014 12:39:00 PM More reviews by Aritzia

So pretty on my nails! Takes a while to get it on nicely and evenly but once you do it just looks so nice, definitely worth the extra time to get it even (around 3-4 coats.) Can't stop looking at my nails when I have this on.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2014 11:06:00 AM More reviews by shi1

Let me start by saying this is not a color for novices! I've rediscovered my love for this color. I owned a bottle a few years back and repurchased it again recently for my bff's wedding. It is the perfect shade for a wedding or similar event. Although I have good nails, when they get long, I don't like the way it looks where the tip grows out from the nail bed so I tend to wear opaques or some sort of atypical french manicure. I don't like wearing a traditional french manicure with a white tip since I find it looks a bit harsh. So that is where this comes in. Its a milky jelly like color. Its still sheer enough that you can still see through, its thick/creamy enough to hide imperfections and its obvious enough to look like you've got a great manicure . Its a pinky white color that looks beautiful on my fair skin as it would on most skin types (does not lean yellow or beige). I don't need to add a white french tip underneath and it looks great on fingers and toes. I'm able to get a decent finish with 2 coats, but could up to 3 (especially if you're doing thin coats). Its very tricky to apply. I've been doing my own nails religiously for almost 20 years and I'm good at it. With my first bottle of this, I had to redo my nails so many times because I would mess it up and it would be horribly streaky. I've improved since and I'm able to apply it in one shot but it still requires care and concentration. Its a beautiful color, soft and feminine and I'm probably going to wear it a lot this summer! If you're good at nail polish application or aren't aftaid to learn then give this a try!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2014 10:57:00 AM More reviews by chiara11

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a very nice pale pink (without peachy tint), but if you have ridges, it looks a bit streaky... compared to ZOYA Sari & Loretta (which do not streak even if I have slight ridges) it is harder to apply, but the name & color are lovely!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 7:21:00 PM More reviews by goddessintraining

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

The majority of pale, milky, pink polishes are warm toned, this one is definitely cool & that is why I bought it despite being aware of the low rating.

This might well be the worst nail polish I have ever tried. Being a frequent user of this colour family, I'm used to dealing with formulas that streak (many in this category do) & I've become quite adept at getting them to go on smoothly, but the challenge with Ballet Slippers is too great...I concede defeat!

Revlon makes one that is fairly similar, although slightly less cool & slightly less white: 'Sheer Pink' is the name of it. It's less than $5 & it's a superior formula.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2014 3:19:00 PM More reviews by FusiaFever

I love this color! I hate the formula, especially considering the price of this polish. I got this color because I read that it was endorsed by the Queen of England. Also, this is one of the most long-standing and oldest colors created by the brand. It's a perfect representation of ballet slippers on your hands. Not too pink, not too white.

i hate how streaky the formula is. I am not used to applying more than two coats of polish per nail. But I had to apply 3 coats to attain opacity. This should not be happening at $8.50 a bottle.

Would I repurchase? As much as I like the color...definitely not. I can find a similar color with better formula elsewhere.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2014 1:16:00 AM More reviews by nicolegryne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this color!!! I have been trying to do a white manicure on my nails for two years. Each time I did it, my nails looked weird. Then I tried this gem. It's perfect! It's not too white, and not too pink that looks perfect with my skin tone. Although it goes on streaky in the beginning, three coats seems to alleviate the streakiness. I'm very glad I purchased this color.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 6:42:00 AM More reviews by Lottieollie22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this nail polish!!! It's a beautiful colour that goes with every outfit. I love that the Queen wears it too :-) as for the streaking...I found that if you are very light and gentle when applying the polish then it goes on beautifully! It's not good if you are too heavy handed with it. It is now the colour I wear constantly on my nails and will be repurchasing as soon as it runs out. Buy this! Also it lasts days with hardly any chipping! Love love love.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/25/2014 5:21:00 AM More reviews by beetrootcheeks

I liked this color, endorsed by the Queen of England, when applied by a manicurist but was disappointed when I bought it to apply myself. One coat streaks, and two or more coats are thick, lumpy, and sticky. Somehow when I do my own nails (I get maybe two professional manicures a year) the color makes my pale warm-toned skin look grey, a bit like I am suffering from hypothermia. Now I prefer Essie's Mademoiselle, which looks beautiful and "done" after one coat.