Essie Ballet Slippers

3.3

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really don't understand the cult following this polish has. I find the colour far too sweet for my tastes, but what really does it in for me is the formula.

One coat is a really sheer, pretty colour, but sooooo streaky! No matter what I do, it looks terrible.

Two coats is better,but still streaky and sheer in some spots. However. Where it's not sheer, I like the colour.

Three coats gets rid of the sheer spots (almost) but then I find the colour looks flat.

I will go back to my trusty Essie Mademoiselle for a nice, natural pink.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Pretty colour, but so transparent! Not very expensive per bottle but you have to use double the amount of coats than usual if you want it to be opaque. Good if you want a sheer, summery, natural-looking polish.

It's a nice not-so-white-but-not-so-pink-either colout but the formula is a disaster. It's thin so I have to apply at least three coats to get a full coverage, otherwise I can see my normal nail colour through the polish. It doesn't fully cover my uneven nail surface, either, so I definitely won't repurchase this one.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I wore this on my wedding day. It looks fab on the close-up photos. I'm NC20 and it's perfect for my colouring. It's a bugger to apply though. If you're in the UK l recommend getting the high street version with the pro-wide brush (Boots or Superdrug). I also have the pro/American version with the skinny brush and while it's shinier, l couldn't get it to work. 2 thin coats for perfection. Don't use Stickey bc underneath as that discolours it.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I love the color of this, but not the formula. Sheer polishes can be really pretty, but this one is streaky & patchy. I was hoping this would be similar to Zoya Dot, but it's not as pigmented, so two coats were still too streaky to be pretty (and I don't like using more than two coats because they are more likely to peel). I got this in a set with the Gel Setter top coat, and paired with that it lasted about 4 days before serious chipping happened.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ballet Slippers is a cult colour from Essie, one that can be found mentioned in a lot of beauty blogs. I was in need of a natural-looking pink colour so bought Ballet Slippers due to being curious about the praise it receives. It is a lovely colour, a sheer milky pink which can be built up. I usually wear it with 3 thin coats which looks opaque from a distance, but the nail line can be seen up close. This doesn't bother me, but if this is a pet peeve for you, you may wish to avoid this polish. The colour is beautiful however. It is a pale, milky pink, very pastel and white based. It leaves the nails looking very polished and chic. I like to wear it on days where I want to look classy and pretty, but not put in too much effort. It has great longevity and dries quickly. This polish is a life-saver and a game-changer, well worth the hype it receives.

The only way I can describe this nail polish is as "a beautiful nightmare."

It's a great color and I've been battling with it for some time now to make it work. It's a fantastic, lovely white-pink color and I love it enough that I'll keep fighting to get it right. The problem is, the formula is just downright horrible. It's a streaky, three-coat nail polish that always manages to look like I glopped it all on by the time I'm done, no matter how thin my coats were. It never seems to look even and doesn't self-level, and application is like a never-ending bad dream. I always close my bottles of nail polish tightly so they won't dry out, but Ballet Slippers seems to have physics-defying qualities because mine's thick as solidified honey.

And when it dries? Air bubbles. Air bubbles everywhere.

For all my complaints, however, I'm still on a campaign to make Ballet Slippers work. I know just how beautiful it can be and the color is so perfect, in my opinion. I've never had these problems with any other polish, nor with any of my countless other Essies. All I can do is hope that Essie will fix this god-awful formula and that I can one day master the art of working with this polish.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This polish is everything I hoped Fiji would be.

I'm quite pale, and I think that's why Fiji doesn't work on me. It's thick, matte and reminds me of the whiteout you use to correct spelling mistakes in pen. Ballet Slippers however, is perfect. it's pale, opaque and with a hint of pink. It's glossy, smooth and summery.

One of my favorite nail polishes. The color looks so good on my very fair skin. It last a long time and I can wear it without base and top coat. Is the first time I used up an entire nail polish bottle. I hate the formula though, but I learnt how to work with it as the color is too beautiful not to use it. I apply a single coat with as few strokes as I can. Never more than three. Even if you think the polish doesn't look even, don't do more strokes, it's only going to get worse. Leave it there and wait for it to dry and enjoy :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Lovely shade which matches perfectly with my fair cool skin. The formula is a bit streaky and after 3 coats it's finally opaque. Staying power is the worst... Even with a base and top coat it chips the day after. The parts that stay become darker and develop fine grey lines at the tips until it cracks and chips. No, will not repurchase.

Top Rated Essie Products