December 21, 2014 | 1724 users online

Polishes - Essie - Ballet Slippers

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2014 11:45:00 PM More reviews by Louloune

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love this polish for work and a neutral, professional look. it's sheer but stands out at the same time. i really love this polish and think every woman should have a bottle on hand.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2014 3:39:00 AM More reviews by creepygreenlight

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've had this polish in my collection for at least 6 months and haven't tried it until today. Now I know what all the hype is about! I think the reason I held off from wearing it for so long is the fact that I'm kind of leery about polishes like this. Y'know, the milky-white-pink-sheer-nightmare-formula type thing but I was pleasantly surprised with this one. It took about three coats to get the opacity I wanted but it wasn't a nightmare to apply at all. I have quite a few sheer polishes from Essie including Limo-scene, Allure, and Mademoiselle and none of them have that oh-so-easily-buildable coverage like Ballet Slippers. I currently am wearing it with a matte topcoat and I can't stop staring at my nails! I'll probably be wearing it quite often, I suppose.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2014 10:53:00 AM More reviews by ewon8413

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Essie is known for their great nail polishes, so I decided to give "Ballet Slippers" a go.

The only nail polishes or acrylic nails I ever wear are nail enhancers or French tipped nails. Something translucent and almost nothing-there like a nail enhancer is much different from some opaque polish. To give the more colourful polishes a go, I kick started it off with this polish.

Firstly, the formula is kind of... eh. Sloppy, I would say.
Something this sheer shouldn't be so streaky and chunky.
It's a complimenting colour (especially for faired skinned girls), but if you apply it incorrectly, it'll look horrid.
Doesn't last a very long time and chips off in a matter of days.

Other than that, it doesn't do anything to your nail beds and won't just run off with warm water. It's only a good polish if you've mastered the way of avoiding streaks and such.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/22/2014 10:17:00 AM More reviews by Kavarice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really want to like this polish because it's a pretty and unique pastel color and I thought it would make my nails look neat and clean and feminine. But the formula is awful. So thin and streaky, and I could still see my nails through it after 4-5 coats. Because you have to put so much on it takes FOREVER to dry and I ended up getting a bunch of little dents in mine so it just looked sloppy. I wish Essie would change the formula on this one.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2014 6:10:00 PM More reviews by sofaloaf

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Out of all the products I've tried, Essie's Ballet Slippers wins. Not best nail polish, but wins the award for having the most spot-on, accurate reviews on MUA. And a lot of them. I read a ton of them...and then I ignored my gut feeling as I bought it last week because Mademoiselle (a great Essie polish, unlike this one) was out of stock. I really encourage you to save your money. Don't buy this polish, it was really disappointing.

For the last couple years, I've selected bright or fun colors for my nails, but recently I've been curious to see if I could find something to make my nails look pretty, polished, and neat instead. I looked everywhere for a light pink tone, without sparkle chunks or weird yellow tones. I picked Ballet Slippers up after reading MUA reviews, figuring that an average 3 lippies wasn't great, but it must not be bad either. Nope.

It was bad.

I took it home to paint up, and I realized you guys have been sharing nothing but honesty. The thin brush doesn't help the streaky, sticky mess that globs together. I used every trick in my book to get this polish to cooperate, to no luck, and re did the entire process two more times. After my best try, my nails still came out a bizarre, creamy unnatural color with big stripes of nail peeking out. Yeah, that doesn't look pretty, polished, or neat, let me tell ya.

I left it on there, too frustrated to bother with removing it again and trying another polish, only to have it chip and peel off and leave nasty strips of it on my nails....within hours of applying! The. Same. Flippin'. Day. Really??

I "gifted" this one to my roommate, the word "gifted" here meaning that I "passed on the experience of hours of frustration trying to get this polish not to look like a crusty, streaky glob of white-out on my nails"

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 1:11:00 AM More reviews by Kamee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Super streaky. Even after 2 coats it's still streaky. Dries fast in some thinner stroked areas but if u go over it again, that first layer is more opaque than your second layer. This is such a frustrating polish to work with. Also if you're light, this will make your skin darker. I don't recommended.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/20/2014 11:47:00 AM More reviews by WoodsCommaElle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wear lots of pale colors and Ballet Slippers seems to be a sort of legend in the world of nail polish, so of course this was one of the first I tried. Pros: The color is gorgeous--if that elusive, sophisticated pinky-whiteness that looks so chic is what you're after, this is the stuff for you. Cons: Everything else about it. The teeny skinny scrawny brush makes application of this streaky formula very difficult, indeed. (The name really ought to be Ballet Streaks, IMHO.) I've finally gotten to the point where I can apply it pretty decently on the first attempt--usually--with a lot of care and I do enjoy how marvelous it looks on my nails. The trick is not applying too much pressure as you're painting it on; using a light hand seems to cut down on the streakiness. Still, you're going to end up with some minor "lines" but I find that three coats usually works best to hide this. It's kind of a pain in the rear, honestly, and the only reason I would ever repurchase is because I have yet to find another pale pink polish with that glorious whitish cast that works better. If I ever stumble upon one, I'll let you know...

rated 2 of 5 on 8/19/2014 11:47:00 PM More reviews by turkishdelite

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

HORRIBLE formula. It's streaky and I need 4 coats to make it the color in the bottle. My nails end up being goopy and soft, as if I can mold it. Stay away. OPI makes a similar color, Bubble Bath, with a much better formula.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/17/2014 11:14:00 PM More reviews by swordfern

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh Ballet Slippers, how I want to love you, but you keep letting me down. I'm an experienced polisher, and this has got to be one of the most frustrating polished to apply. Minimum 3 coater. Good luck going for a sheer look. The color is lovely, if perhaps a bit too cool for my skin tone, but the application is horrible.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2014 9:56:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

I have a love-hate relationship with this polish. I love the color, it looks especially cute when I've got a glow on my hands from self-tanner in the summer. However, this is SO STREAKY! I like the color best with a base coat, two coats of color and a top coat, but I can never get the coverage even enough with just 2 coats. Usually I like light colors for my fingers because they hide chips better, but this is really high maintenance!
Bottom line, I'll use up this bottle but I won't be buying again.