September 20, 2014 | 1835 users online

Polishes - Essie - Ballet Slippers

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2014 6:10:00 PM More reviews by sofaloaf

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Out of all the products I've tried, Essie's Ballet Slippers wins. Not best nail polish, but wins the award for having the most spot-on, accurate reviews on MUA. And a lot of them. I read a ton of them...and then I ignored my gut feeling as I bought it last week because Mademoiselle (a great Essie polish, unlike this one) was out of stock. I really encourage you to save your money. Don't buy this polish, it was really disappointing.

For the last couple years, I've selected bright or fun colors for my nails, but recently I've been curious to see if I could find something to make my nails look pretty, polished, and neat instead. I looked everywhere for a light pink tone, without sparkle chunks or weird yellow tones. I picked Ballet Slippers up after reading MUA reviews, figuring that an average 3 lippies wasn't great, but it must not be bad either. Nope.

It was bad.

I took it home to paint up, and I realized you guys have been sharing nothing but honesty. The thin brush doesn't help the streaky, sticky mess that globs together. I used every trick in my book to get this polish to cooperate, to no luck, and re did the entire process two more times. After my best try, my nails still came out a bizarre, creamy unnatural color with big stripes of nail peeking out. Yeah, that doesn't look pretty, polished, or neat, let me tell ya.

I left it on there, too frustrated to bother with removing it again and trying another polish, only to have it chip and peel off and leave nasty strips of it on my nails....within hours of applying! The. Same. Flippin'. Day. Really??

I "gifted" this one to my roommate, the word "gifted" here meaning that I "passed on the experience of hours of frustration trying to get this polish not to look like a crusty, streaky glob of white-out on my nails"

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 1:11:00 AM More reviews by Kamee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Super streaky. Even after 2 coats it's still streaky. Dries fast in some thinner stroked areas but if u go over it again, that first layer is more opaque than your second layer. This is such a frustrating polish to work with. Also if you're light, this will make your skin darker. I don't recommended.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/20/2014 11:47:00 AM More reviews by WoodsCommaElle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wear lots of pale colors and Ballet Slippers seems to be a sort of legend in the world of nail polish, so of course this was one of the first I tried. Pros: The color is gorgeous--if that elusive, sophisticated pinky-whiteness that looks so chic is what you're after, this is the stuff for you. Cons: Everything else about it. The teeny skinny scrawny brush makes application of this streaky formula very difficult, indeed. (The name really ought to be Ballet Streaks, IMHO.) I've finally gotten to the point where I can apply it pretty decently on the first attempt--usually--with a lot of care and I do enjoy how marvelous it looks on my nails. The trick is not applying too much pressure as you're painting it on; using a light hand seems to cut down on the streakiness. Still, you're going to end up with some minor "lines" but I find that three coats usually works best to hide this. It's kind of a pain in the rear, honestly, and the only reason I would ever repurchase is because I have yet to find another pale pink polish with that glorious whitish cast that works better. If I ever stumble upon one, I'll let you know...

rated 2 of 5 on 8/19/2014 11:47:00 PM More reviews by turkishdelite

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

HORRIBLE formula. It's streaky and I need 4 coats to make it the color in the bottle. My nails end up being goopy and soft, as if I can mold it. Stay away. OPI makes a similar color, Bubble Bath, with a much better formula.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/17/2014 11:14:00 PM More reviews by swordfern

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh Ballet Slippers, how I want to love you, but you keep letting me down. I'm an experienced polisher, and this has got to be one of the most frustrating polished to apply. Minimum 3 coater. Good luck going for a sheer look. The color is lovely, if perhaps a bit too cool for my skin tone, but the application is horrible.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2014 9:56:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

I have a love-hate relationship with this polish. I love the color, it looks especially cute when I've got a glow on my hands from self-tanner in the summer. However, this is SO STREAKY! I like the color best with a base coat, two coats of color and a top coat, but I can never get the coverage even enough with just 2 coats. Usually I like light colors for my fingers because they hide chips better, but this is really high maintenance!
Bottom line, I'll use up this bottle but I won't be buying again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2014 12:39:00 PM More reviews by Aritzia

So pretty on my nails! Takes a while to get it on nicely and evenly but once you do it just looks so nice, definitely worth the extra time to get it even (around 3-4 coats.) Can't stop looking at my nails when I have this on.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2014 11:06:00 AM More reviews by shi1

Let me start by saying this is not a color for novices! I've rediscovered my love for this color. I owned a bottle a few years back and repurchased it again recently for my bff's wedding. It is the perfect shade for a wedding or similar event. Although I have good nails, when they get long, I don't like the way it looks where the tip grows out from the nail bed so I tend to wear opaques or some sort of atypical french manicure. I don't like wearing a traditional french manicure with a white tip since I find it looks a bit harsh. So that is where this comes in. Its a milky jelly like color. Its still sheer enough that you can still see through, its thick/creamy enough to hide imperfections and its obvious enough to look like you've got a great manicure . Its a pinky white color that looks beautiful on my fair skin as it would on most skin types (does not lean yellow or beige). I don't need to add a white french tip underneath and it looks great on fingers and toes. I'm able to get a decent finish with 2 coats, but could up to 3 (especially if you're doing thin coats). Its very tricky to apply. I've been doing my own nails religiously for almost 20 years and I'm good at it. With my first bottle of this, I had to redo my nails so many times because I would mess it up and it would be horribly streaky. I've improved since and I'm able to apply it in one shot but it still requires care and concentration. Its a beautiful color, soft and feminine and I'm probably going to wear it a lot this summer! If you're good at nail polish application or aren't aftaid to learn then give this a try!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2014 10:57:00 AM More reviews by chiara11

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a very nice pale pink (without peachy tint), but if you have ridges, it looks a bit streaky... compared to ZOYA Sari & Loretta (which do not streak even if I have slight ridges) it is harder to apply, but the name & color are lovely!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 7:21:00 PM More reviews by goddessintraining

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

The majority of pale, milky, pink polishes are warm toned, this one is definitely cool & that is why I bought it despite being aware of the low rating.

This might well be the worst nail polish I have ever tried. Being a frequent user of this colour family, I'm used to dealing with formulas that streak (many in this category do) & I've become quite adept at getting them to go on smoothly, but the challenge with Ballet Slippers is too great...I concede defeat!

Revlon makes one that is fairly similar, although slightly less cool & slightly less white: 'Sheer Pink' is the name of it. It's less than $5 & it's a superior formula.