Pro Activ 3-Step System

2.6

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Did nothing for my acne.

on 7/21/2015 8:39:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Did absolutely nothing for my acne. I think this product line is too harsh. And WAY too expensive. I switched to Cerave cleanser, oil cleansing, and gentle plain moisturizer. I use AcneFree products from the drugstore and they work way better, not to mention they don't break the bank.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

my son use this product as a teenager and we did see results and we also changed his diet but after a while his face got used to it and eventually got off .

on 7/13/2015 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I would give this product a 0/5 if I could. This stuff is awful and it made my skin way worse and did so much damage. So happy I've been off this stuff for three years. I finally found another brand that works so much better and is a lot safer for my skin. I would not recommend this to anyone as this is the worst skin care product I think I have ever tried in my entire life. Truly awful.

on 7/13/2015 2:23:00 AM

I had a love affair with proactiv for about 10 years. Then one day my fiancÚ told me I shouldn't use anything with chemicals etc etc, and like the fool I was I tried to change. Because I hadn't had acne for 10 years, I forgot how bad it used to be. Well it was fine for about 4 months after I quit. I was washing my face with water and pure vegetable glycerin soap or whatever ridiculous thing it was. What a mistake. I broke out so bad I now have permanent scarring on both sides of my forhead. I still didn't want to go back to the chemicals so I'd try tea tree oil, apple cider etc. you name it, I tried it. For 2 years. Then I developed melasma and sun damage. So I did chemical peels, retin a, laser. Nothing worked and my skin looks older than ever.
I started proactiv again last week and my redness and acne are already going away. I've decided that being depressed and self conscious was basically ruining my life and who cares about the chemicals. Life is too short to hide in the house, or dread going to work with horrible painful acne.
I'm glad I'm back on it. Wish I'd never quit.
It just works for my oily, acne prone skin. I just use the 3 steps. I found the other side products is just too much to use. Although I do like the green tea moisturizer ALOT.
I want to tell people I see on the street with bad acne, to use it. But I know how embarrassing it is, so I don't.
I'm hoping the benzoyl peroxide will eventually fade my melasma too, and I now wear sunscreen which I never did in my 20's. You HAVE to wear sunscreen everyday with this product, or any product. Or no product. Just use sunscreen! Your 30 year old self will thank you.

on 6/27/2015 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

When I asked my aunt for some skin treatments when I first started to break out, she bought me the Pro Activ trio. I had really high hopes for the products because of all the hype and expected a miracle. No chance. It did get rid of the pimples I had but it left small, round dry patches where they were and the burning sensation made me scared to use it on my entire face again. I have very dry skin on my forehead and nose and CANNOT put this product anywhere near these areas, but can use the repairing cream it on my jawline and cheeks. It does still leave me with dry patches but gets rid of the blemishes. The cleanser and toner have long since been discarded and I can just about cope with the dryness I'm left with after using the repairing lotion

on 6/11/2015 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My younger siblings used this and my sister saw improvement on her forehead breakouts. Thus, I was eager to join the bandwagon even though I do not have acne and only have a couple minor spots during my favorite time of the month. Also, because of wearing makeup, I noticed small black heads on my chin and thought this "miracle product" could at least manage small incidents.

Welp. No. In fact, using the three bottles daily not only dried my skin out but made me break out. An anti-pimple product gave me pimples....

My skin is normal sometimes dryish but it did not seem to get along with Poractiv whatsoever and once I went back to my old boring one-step in-the-shower Neutrogena face wash, I was good to go.

Obviously what works for some will not work for all. But still, my case was minor you'd think for 40$ (mall kiosk price) that it would at least hydrate me

on 6/4/2015 3:26:00 AM

i have an acne prone skin and i read the review bout how good this product for acne.
i easily got breakout in my forehead, sigh.

i bought 60 days trial pack for JPY 9,000 which consist of a cleanser, toner, acne cream and bonus a facial cleansing brush and moisturizer.

i found out that they were not working for me.
now not only my forehead, i got breakout in other parts of my face too :(
the moisturizer claimed that it's oil free but i realized that my breakout getting worsen every time i applied it.

very disappointed.

PS : but then recently i read on the packaging that its been reformulated for japanese skin.
is it the reason since japanese women tend to have more sensitive and fair skin? i dont know.

on 6/4/2015 2:33:00 AM

I used this range for 6 months leading up to my wedding since I came out with acne all over my jaw, cheeks and forehead most likely due to stress.
My skin absolutely hated this product I really pushed myself to believe in it, as at the time I didn't know of many other options.
My skin was constantly tight and dry, no matter how much moisturiser I used ( the green tea moisturiser). After 5 months I developed an awful rash under my jaw and on top of my upper lip, which persisted for a month. On the last week I used this range my eyes and lips swelled! I then decided to quit, and it took about a year for my skin to stop reacting to anything I put on it no matter the brand...
My skin was still not perfect on my wedding day 2 months after quitting, I developed sensitive skin after Pro Activ, and my skin was even more oily than before!

Since then I downloaded an app cosmeticingredientsmaze which you can use to look up the ingredients for your products, I was horrified to look at the lack of safety of the ingredients used in Pro Active!! Liver toxicity, reproductive toxicity, formaldehyde releasing ingredients!!!...

I'm really happy with natural ingredients now containing retinol and MSM. AND a couple years later acne free...
I still have sensitive skin on my fingertips from using this product so it's still affecting me!!!

Hope that helps anyone!

on 5/29/2015 7:29:00 PM

I tried this when I was younger and I know they have said they changed the formula since then but from my experience this is only for certain skin types. I believe more oily skin types. For me my face would dry out and then be clear for a little while and then I would break out again and then be clear. It just wasnt for me. My brother uses it-he has very very oily acne filled skin. to me it does not seem to be helping him. He tried my home remedy for acne and that seemed to help much better. not a fan of this.

Popular Face Skincare Products