September 2, 2014 | 1892 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Pigment in Golden Olive

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2013 3:09:00 PM More reviews by curlywurly100

Golden Olive is a medium toned glowy apple/grass green shimmer with a gold duochrome. it is more of a pearly shimmer, so it is a little more of a matte shine than 'Old Gold' pigment. the picture above with the 3 swatches is pretty accurate. when i swatched this on my hand, the MAC girl said it reminded her of a fish. i guess she meant the way their scales can flash blue, green and yellow underwater, under the sun. it's just beautiful.
now a little more on the texture; this is extremely condensed and silky - very easy to apply and build up and VERY pigmented. i want to share my experiences with this pigment, and how i went from hating it, to loving it so much.
the 1st mistake i made with this, was i applied it straight on to my lid with an eyeshadow brush. this totally blended the colour into a muted, nondescript, bluish green. then the 2nd mistake i made with this was to apply it over other colours and pigments. this way, the green barely showed up, it looked like i had just added a dusting of something greenish to my eye make-up. the way that finally cracked the code for me, was to apply this straight on to primed lids with a flat brush, and kind of foil the pigment on, (but dry) instead of blending it in. this way, it applied gorgeously and 100% true to its colour. i think this works best as a base colour, opposed to as an overlayer. i love to add other colours on top of this. today over Golden Olive, i have Stila's Kitten on the center of the lid, some browns in the crease, 'Humid' on either side of where i applied 'Kitten', to create a 3D kind of effect and of course, some 'Carbon' in the contour, which is for optional added smokiness and a highlight. i find that adding other colours over this, takes advantage of Golden Olive being a little bit pearly, and it adds some dimension, whilst still letting that beautiful golden green pop through. i hoped this helped anyone or gave anyone a few ideas. i feel that every single MAC pigment requires some experimentation before it becomes *yours*.
now on to a few more general things about Golden Olive. i think this is an extremely unique pigment to own, because it's such a vibrant fun colour, but it's encompassed in this golden glow, that makes it more wearable and unusual. a little tip for those of you that find it too green, is to add any colours with a hint of pink over this, to counteract the green, and then it will be more of an earthy olive. some perfect examples would be 'Tan' pigment or 'Expensive Pink'.
i'm brown-eyed myself, but i have a feeling that this would look jaw-dropping on blue eyed ladies, because i feel it would create a very turquoisey overall look, mixed with the blue.
would repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2012 4:10:00 PM More reviews by Rin13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

The color is pretty. It's a classic olive (like the fruit) color with golden shimmer. It's nice but I don't think it's worth the money. There are other colors like this that are much cheaper.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2011 8:30:00 PM More reviews by kpennock

I just got this product a couple days ago and it is amazing. I had been looking at it for a while and finally broke down and bought it. I love greens but the gold shimmer to it makes it just so perfect for an all over lid OR paired with a lighter color like a melon or naked.

I have very little fall out problems with this pigment it went on super smooth.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 7:22:00 PM More reviews by SimpleNSexy

So I'm kinda hooked on MAC pigments circa 'Blue Brown'.
Colour: jade green with golden pear
Texture: creamy
Not that impressive since it's not much of a duochrome as I thought it'd be (I blame the misleading name). It's a nice green, I'll give it that much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2011 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Bsheth86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

beautiful color! so pretty and versatile. This will work on pretty much every skin tone and looks gorgeous when the pigment is applied wet.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2011 4:36:00 PM More reviews by ImYourFavoriteDrug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I feel like I owe Golden Olive an apology. A while back I posted a review saying that it made me look "Jaundiced" and it was a bad product, when that was just me not being able to apply makeup well. I was just a teen. This is very versatile. The gold in this makes my green eyes stand out beautifully. Stunning.

Rubenesque Paint Pot on lid/ Golden Olive layered over it/ Ricepaper to highlight and Nocturnelle in the crease looks beautiful.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2010 5:45:00 AM More reviews by alivyafree

This was my first ever pigment from MAC, and this was the one to start off my mild obsession with them! I love this colour, its a gorgeous mid olive green with a lot of golden undertones. I don't have a great deal to say about other than it adheres well, it blends well, the colour payoff is OK but honestly it works better with a primer. Works best as an eyeshadow and nail polish, not really sure what else you would do with it...
I have some other pigments similar though... Green Brown, Old Gold, Antique Gold and Copperized when put close together are really similar. So if you are thinking of buying a greeny golden pigment then I would get samples of these pigments to try and find the one you prefer!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2010 2:52:00 AM More reviews by jay4jazz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this colour, a green with string gold sheen to it. It's a versatile colour and looks good on both NC and NW, which makes a good green staple to have. I don't think I'll ever finish using an entire jar though.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2010 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Caligallola

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is such a pretty vibrant color. It seems to come out differnt colors on different people. I love pairing it with Moss Scape paint pot on bottom half of lid, golden olive on inner half of eye and humid in crease and outer v. Moss Scape really brings the gold out so the end result really is a beautiful golden olive.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2010 1:16:00 AM More reviews by sweetmalinche

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Too charchuse to be "golden olive." Looks prettier and deeper swatched on my hand than it does on my eye. For some reason, when applied to my eyes it looses some of its character and depth and looks like a metallic lime. Not my style at all. I prefer the discontinued and hard to find Night Light pigment over this one. Gave it 2 lipsticks because of the fine, metallic texture.