August 1, 2014 | 1634 users online

Treatments (Face) - Olay - Age Defying Daily Renewal Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2014 12:58:00 PM More reviews by saramason111

I've noticed that Olay's Age Defying line is always at the bottom of shelves and their more expensive products are on the top shelves at eye level; owing perhaps to why I never knew about it and bought the expensive products.

I am loving the Age Defying line and currently use the cleanser, Daily Renewal Cream, and Protective Renewal Lotion SPF 15. They all feature BHA (beta hydroxy acid -- aka salicylic acid) in them.

The Daily Renewal Cream has BHA at 2%, and the reason why I was on the hunt for this particular ingredient at the correct percentage is because I tried a few samples of Paula's Choice 2% BHA lotion and love what it did to my skin, but jeez I'm not spending $24 on it! Hence the hunt began for a similar product, but all I could find was Stridex pads or acne gels with 2% bha plus added irritants such as denatured alcohol, menthol, and witch hazel. After much research, I found the Olay Daily Renewal Cream and have been using it for 3 weeks now, nightly. I had a quarter sized red "blotch" on the side of my nose which is now gone (BHA is an anti-irritant and tones down redness), my pores on the t-zone area are cleaned out and refined, my skin looks more even toned and plumped out (fine lines which were just starting around my mouth area are gone now), and my cheeks have a subtle hint of pink in them. I wear SPF 15 during the day, and when going outdoors for long periods of time, I wear SPF 30. BHA does make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. I don't want to reverse all the work its done!

It's only $10 at CVS and with a coupon or CVS card you could get it for cheaper, and in my opinion, it works the same as Paula's Choice 2% BHA lotion. I personally really like the scent -- it kind of smells like roses and Dove soap. Also -- there's a "night version" as well which I have too -- they're both the same but the night version has chamomile extract in it and it's a peach color. They both work the same to me.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2013 11:07:00 PM More reviews by demureninja

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After reading all the great reviews on here, I went out and got some of this Daily renewal cream, and my experience using it has been not good. :-( To be clear, the product I bought is called Olay Age Defying Classic Daily Renewal Cream, and comes in a little white tub with a black cap (I think there are a few slightly-different versions of this cream out there).

The first night I used this cream, I woke the next morning with really shiny, greasy skin. The next night I used it again, and woke up with a rash of little white pimples all over my face. :-( To be fair, I am lucky enough to have combo/acne-prone/sensitive skin, so it's always a toss-up whether something will work for my face, but after just two days of using this, I'm too freaked out to try using it again. Bummer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2012 12:03:00 PM More reviews by tuffers

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Olay Age Defying daily renewal cream is a good, general, run of the mill moisturizer. My 50 year old skin is very dry and it does keep it hydrated with no flakiness. That said, it does not get rid of age spots, wrinkles or whatever aging complaint you may have, other than dryness. It is thick and smells very nice. After using my new clarisonic that I stole from my teenage daughter, I slather this cream very liberally all over my face and neck and around my eyes. It's supposed to be a "beta hydroxy complex" but since it's in a white pot and gets opened to the elements twice a day, I doubt the beta hydroxy complex stays stable. All in all, I do like this as a daily moisturizer and it's cheap. I get two pots of it at a time through amazon.com and I think I pay $13 for both with no shipping. I use a ton of it so it goes pretty fast. Do recommend.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/13/2011 6:56:00 PM More reviews by Lapiz

Unfortunately, like the other ladies that had bad experiences with this product, I did as well. I broke out within two days of using this. I think it's because it is scented... I have gotten so used to using unscented products that this probably irritated my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2011 8:59:00 PM More reviews by Jennlw5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this cream. I find the very light powder scent quite nice. My skin is soft, I have no problem with it clogging the pores or causing my t zone to go shiny on me. I have been using this with the nourishing night cream and after a few weeks my lines are dramatically reduced! My skin looks great and I would buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2011 9:48:00 PM More reviews by kenoki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Medium to thick cream, but spreads lightly and is quickly absorbed. Crushing powder-floral aroma is almost a deal-breaker. Almost. I've seen improvement in the last few months (the BHA?). Great option as a night cream for combination or oily skin. If you have even moderately dry skin this will not work as a standalone cream. Also not the tightest option for sensitive skin--face loves it, neck cries (so itchy). We'll see.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2011 7:59:00 PM More reviews by junkfood1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a nice BHA cream that I used for around 3 years when I was very young. It was an ok cream as it doesn't clog pores and it feels nice on, but it just doesn't treat acne / tiny wrinkles. I remember that I was using the loreal turning point (contains BHA too) every other night and I switched to this. The difference was significant cus this olay cream just didn't cut it cus the loreal turning point was way better 4 my acne.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2011 4:07:00 AM More reviews by asiajolie

Pros: light texture, fresh scent
Cons: comes in a jar - not very sanitary, no SPF, broke me out

I bought this based on the great reviews here. Sadly it was not suitable for my combo-oily-sensitive skin. It stung every time I put it on, but eventually the itchiness calms down. I thought the whole breaking-out with tiny bumps all over my cheeks/jaw line and dry flaky patches everywhere was part of the purging process. At the same time, my skin still remained oily in the T-zone! Stubborn me, I stuck with it for almost a whole jar used up, 1st everyday then every other day. Thanks to this, I now have to buy a bunch of skincare products to get rid of my flakes, zits and bumps.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/25/2010 1:26:00 PM More reviews by mountaingem

The cream itself was just as the other posters said, feels great on, absorbs quickly, with a high-end feel. I like everything about it at first.

But unfortunately, after two weeks of trying to make this work for me, I had to give it up. I broke out in terrible acne, so I thought well, it has a BHA in it, maybe I'm purging. Wrong. I ended up with whiteheads, cysts, and dermatitis.

I think this might have been some sort of allergic reaction, because I took a course of prednisone for asthma and it cleared my skin right up.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2010 12:09:00 PM More reviews by larenj

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been trying to find a moisturizer that was truly oil free and non-comedogenic for my horrible acne prone skin. I got this yesterday with the foaming face wash for sensitive skin (great product) and I put it on last night and it felt good. It felt like my skin had been renewed and it didn't even break me out. It actually cleared some of the small bump on the hollows of my cheeks. I know its only been a day, but I can't wait until a months been up and to see how my skin will look then :)