August 28, 2014 | 1151 users online

Treatments (Face) - Mario Badescu - Buffering Lotion

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by marquiseazzie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Since I hormonally broke out after drinking a whey protein shake (ladies with touchy hormones - STAY AWAY... three months of non-stop zits due to the androgen-boosting power of whey), I've been cycling through all of Mario Badescu's spot-treatments. I've had great results with the Drying Cream on smaller pimples; it also takes down the inflammation in large cysts. But of course I want to eradicate cysts, not just deal with them after they've formed big bumps.

I tried this on a reddened, aching patch of skin on my cheek (those who get hormonal cysts know that means bad news), and yes, it actually did prevent it from coming out. The small hard swelling under the skin was gone in two days, and saved me weeks, if not months, of cystic hell.

This is EXCELLENT at stopping the formation of a cyst in its tracks when its at a very specific stage of growth - not yet visible to the eye, but growing underground. However, it does next to nothing for cysts that have already formed big bumps, or smaller pimples that will go on to create a whitehead. It also does cause some flakes, which is to be expected as it contains alcohol, but if you're using a great exfoliator (BHA/AHA) they won't be too bad.

Each of the Badescu spot-treatments seem to work very well for very specific types of acne, and having each of them on hand seems like the way to go. I'll be trying the Drying Lotion next!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/12/2014 3:21:00 AM More reviews by nanamisan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried this on cystic acne a few times but it did not seem to really do much of anything at all over the course of a few days, to be honest. I think the drying lotion by mario badescu works much better on cystic acne and it's the best spot treatment I've found for acne in general so far. I put this up for swap.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2014 6:03:00 AM More reviews by encee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

For cystic acne, this is a little mild. I thought it could totally work on my troubles, but not really. I had to buy the Drying Lotion next. This one just soaks up the oil on the surface, I guess. No penetrating effects.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2014 5:10:00 AM More reviews by Banjos

Although the ingredients sound like they would be helpful, I did not find mich improvement with my acne, ifany. Obviously, some others had better experiences. Very pricey, too.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2014 2:01:00 AM More reviews by LaDolceVita8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

This did not work for me. It didn't help my cystic acne in any way and wouldn't even work on the smaller pimples. I tried using it several different ways thinking maybe I was using it wrong. I shake the bottle first and then applied it with a cotton pad, then I tried using it with a cotton swab. Finally I just ended up putting a drop directly on my finger and massaging it in that way, because I thought maybe the cotton was absorbing the product so it wasn't actually getting to my skin. But even with this approach, it did nothing for me.

I'm not sure why it's not working but i'm really sad because I paid a hefty amount for this. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, please tell me!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the only topical I've used that's done anything significant for cystic acne. What I love about this is not only does it help heal the spot, but it takes the pain out of cysts. I find that the pain of cystic acne is what normally leads to picking (bad, I know!) because the pressure hurts so much. With this, the pain goes away within a few minutes and stays gone all while making the spot less noticeable. It is a bit pricey, but as mentioned in other reviews you only need a few drops per day to take care of the redness, swelling, and pain. A perfect combination of effective yet gentle skin care for cystic acne and definitely worth the investment if you're suffering from painful acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2014 2:53:00 PM More reviews by laurentaylor88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is a staple to my skincare routine, and simply a must-have. The bottle lasts forever if you're using it the right way, and it works wonders on under-the-skin blemishes. I use it every time I can see/feel a cystic pimple coming on, and even on erupted blackheads. I'd say 8 times out of 10, it shrinks the blemish by the next day, stopping it from getting to its full potential. It absorbs into the skin, so you can dab it on and still go about your day or apply makeup. I love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2014 9:40:00 PM More reviews by emarieet

Recently I have ready amazing reviews on this product and when I broke out in FIVE different places on my face I went to Ulta to get it. I have combination skin with some cystic acne and the frequent breakouts. This product is great for cystic acne. Anyways, I have been using it for two nights already and my pimples aren't nearly as red!!! You can barely see them and my cystic acne is slight less noticeable! This really works. I haven't been using this for very long so I will post again or make any changed if the product no longer works or works even better. I would DEFINITELY get this if you were in my situation!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 10:40:00 AM More reviews by joiseygirl27

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product really works! I occasionally get cysts & would have the bump for MONTHS but with this product the bump goes away within a few days. Can't recommend this product enough!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/23/2014 3:27:00 PM More reviews by marimist

Unfortunately I'm going to have to give a low rating for this product-it just didn't work for my cystic acne, and the price definitely didn't help. I had about 2-3 large cysts on my chin on a daily basis after I tried to wean myself off of spironolactone. After reading some very promising reviews on Mario Badescu products, I decided to give this a try. This was the most I've ever spent on topical OTC acne medication, and hoped it would work as well as it seemed to for many people.
I tried this for 2 weeks, shaking it well and applying a dab on each cyst every night using clean fingertips. It really didn't do much other than dry out the patch of skin above and around the skin of the cyst--but the cystic bump was still there, raised and scarring. The cyst still took about 1-2 weeks to reduce in size, and leaves that small bump of scars that would take another while to heal.
I'm disappointed, as it seemed promising for many people. I've decided to refund this and switch back to spironolactone. This product may be ok for non-hormonal-acne, but won't do much for those that are hormone-induced.