Wella Color Charm Demi-Permanent Hair Color

4.3

WATER, BEESWAX, SODIUM COCOYL ISETHIONATE, FRAGRANCE, TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE, SODIUM SULFITE, ASCORBIC ACID, RESORCINOL, ETIDRONIC ACID, HYDROLYZED KERATIN, 2-METHYLRESORCINOL, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, LIMONENE, M-AMINOPHENOL, COUMARIN, TOCOPHEROL, ETHANOLAMINE, LAURETH-3, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE SE, SODIUM SULFATE, LANOLIN ALCOHOLS, SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE

Koleston Permanent Color manufacture date:

While this review was about Wella's Koleston permanent hair color I thought it important for the below site to be known so others could check the manufacture date.

I just found this site, http://checkcosmetic.net, that gives the manufacture dates of Koleston permanent hair dye. I've bought this on the internet & was curious how recently they were manufactured. The Koleston code is stamped on the end flap of the box. It isn't the bar code numbers.

One tube has just expired, being a month older than the desired less than 3 year window for being fresh, but the other 3 I've purchased thus far were manufactured fairly recently in the last 2 years.

This site has manufacture dates for other brands are on this site as well.

The Koleston code is stamped on the end flap of the box underneath the color number. It may take viewing in a strong light to see it. It isn't the number under the bar code on the side of the box.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Over the past 2 years, I've taken my dark brown ombre'd hair to blonde and back. I've watched my stylist tone my hair the last few times and I've thought to myself, I could probably do this on my own and save myself 80 bucks. So yesterday, I did just that. Bought everything at Sallys and got started. I have A LOT of hair, and still only used 1 box although I'd bought 3 just in case. I went with shade 6w Dark Sand as my ends were getting much lighter as the Demi had faded since my last salon visit. In the end, it came out a touch dark, but I know it will lighten up when I start shampooing. I also left it on the full 20 minutes because, well, I don't really know why. Lol. But it looks good and a heck of a lot cheaper than paying my girl every 6 weeks or so. It was super simple to do on my own, it applied evenly, I didn't find the smell strange, hair feels soft. Success!

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about this stuff running dark! I picked a color barely one shade darker than my natural hair (Light Medium Brown) and the result was a very deep rich brown, which is what I was hoping for. On the Sally employee's advice I used a 6% developer; she told me to leave the mixture on for 45 minutes or so, but I noticed how dark the color was becoming after barely 30 minutes and rinsed.

I noticed an odd floral+eucalyptus smell, but I don't know what was the scent of the dye and what was the scent of the developer. There was no stinging or burning, although I never experienced either when I used to use box dye many years ago. The texture of my (very short) hair is definitely dryer and coarser; I'm not sure how much of a point there is in me worrying about it. I have washed my hair twice with no fading that I've noticed.

As for the color, it's a little cooler than I had hoped but obviously that's a result of the color I picked. It might grow on me or I might try for a warmer color of similar darkness next time. I also dyed my eyebrows and it took nicely.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have had one hellacious nightmare of a time following the removal of henna. WAIT! before you continue scrolling thinking that this review isn't applicable to you, READ ON (if you just want the Wella info, scroll towards the last couple paragraphs lol)

SO, after two bleach washes, one full on bleaching, and failing miserably with 2 Wella toners (t18 and t14) My hair basically remained the same shit shade of yellow/orange. The toners not working was my own fault because I hadn't, and couldn't, bleach my hair any lighter.

Okay, so I made the mistake of trying to do my own bayalage, darkening my roots only (which were the most vibrant shade of yellow) and though I wouldn't be outcasted by society by the result, I still didn't like it.
So, I color stripped with dawn dish soap and baking soda and was left with a more even shade of yorange (a hideous marriage between two hideous colors)

SO I went to Sally's and knew a demi would do the trick but opted for Ion since I'd used it before. Well. I don't know which is worse, it coming out too dark (as demi's tend to) or not coming out at all. WHICH IS WHAT HAPPENED. literally, no color deposit. with a 10v.
I was in awe.

So. failing at every step of the way. I went back to Sally's and bought Wella demi's in 9NA and 8N (light ash blonde and neutral light blonde) 4.99 ea but were BOGO at the time, i bought the wella demi developer and left with nothing but hope to keep me going.
I mixed the product, added a couple drops of Ardell Red/Gold corrector (99c per packet at sallys) and applied.

legit, 25 mins later (directions say 20, I wanted to be sure) I rinsed, applied the Ion Color Sealer (4.49/ tube) and my hair was the loveliest shade of light golden brown with hints of strawberry blonde. NO LIE, nearest to my actual hair color (at least what I can remember from like 10 yrs ago). It's perfect. Shiny, and no damage.

The only cons are that you can't use a any 10v developer with their demi shades, you have to buy theirs. the smell of the dye is nothing as pleasant as Ions. the dye is very runny but if you have a tint brush youre okay.

ALL IN ALL:
great buy, sosososo glad I didn't give up and gave Wella a shot. Ion, you suck.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

It does look very dark at first but it fades. I dyed my hair too blonde & I looked terrible. I used dark ash blonde & it helped. I did look a little green the first day or so but by day 3 it looked perfect. It cut to brass that's for sure. Use as directed & deep condition.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This review is for 7 medium ash blonde and Natural Ash blonde. As everyone has staed they run dark. I am not blonde anymore because of trying to neutralize some brassy highlights. I only left this stuff on for 5 minutes and it still came out very dark. Dissapointed. I should have went with a light ash but on the swatch it seemed too pale.
None too pleased.

I have about 50% gray and I choose demi-permanent color because it looks more natural. The grays end up a little lighter than the rest of the hair, and I like that a lot better than the all-one-tone color I got with permanent dye.

I like Color Charm much better than Ion because it leaves my hair smooth and glossy, and the color lasts longer. My stylist has used Aveda demi on me, and it fades ridiculously fast -- Wella is way better.

My hair is level 5, and as I mentioned, the Color Charm 5 doesn't bring the white hairs quite up to level 5. I suggest starting with the tone you want to achieve, and then go darker the next time if the color isn't deep enough. Or you could cover your hair with plastic wrap after applying the color, and warm your hair with a hair dryer while the plastic wrap is on.

Color Charm is still behind L'Oreal Dia Richesse for lasting color and great shine. But Richesse is not easy for me to get, and Color Charm is available at Sally's. It's more expensive than Ion, but I get my money's worth. I don't mind the fragrance at all. It's not drippy

I think you could save some money by using a cheaper developer, but I'm scare to try that!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am somewhat conflicted on this particular product. On the one hand, I love the shade choices and ease of application, but cannot say it has taken HG status away from Clairol Radiance Color Gloss.

Though I do love my Clairol Radiance, I read how much better the grey coverage is with Wella and there are about three times as many shades of color to choose from. So while I am totally pleased with the resulting color, my hair is not in as good of shape three weeks after coloring as with Clairol and greys are popping back up (mostly because for some reason my grey hair grows in incredibly quickly, perhaps because it's around my face).

I used medium, ash blonde to achieve a light, cool brown. Even going two shades lighter than what I wanted, it still was a tad too dark at first. After the first wash, I got the color I was after. I used a one to one ratio of the matching developer with a full tube of color (2 oz. color, 2 oz. developer). I was little worried when the resulting mixture did not turn dark right away but I plowed ahead anyway. I used a bottle applicator and left on for 15 minutes. Rinsing out was super easy and I didn't lose a ton of hair in the process. I used my Feria color conditioner after, leaving on for a good ten minutes.

The results are pretty good, but not any better than what I was getting before from Clairol. The only reason I may try this again is because I prefer Wella's shade options, but maybe next time I'll add a little clear (if they make it) to get a glossier result. The fade out is very good and there's not a hint of brass to be seen. For around $6 at Sally's for the color and developer, this is a great deal too!

I use wella 6N each time I dye my hair brown. I leave it on for 10 minutes, any longer and it would be too dark. remember with hair dyes when you out color on color to do a test of color after 10 minutes then, 2-5 minutes. I an pleased with this color, and is my go to. I love dying my hair red, then adding this overtop. it always gives me an amazing color.

This saved my hair and I am very grateful to it! I used a Natural light blonde dye instead of my usual ash blond and bam it was yellow brass city! I was thinking I would have to colour my hair over because purple toner alone wouldn't cut it. So I go to my local Sally's and said I needed to tone down my hair and the SA showed me the Wella Color Charm. I believe it was 9A but the colour name was pale ash blonde. I also picked up the 20 volume developer and Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo.

I mix this up and apply to my roots only. The dye turned my hair purple on top and I was hoping my hair wouldn't stain. Well, it didn't leave a lavender tinge it turned a lovely ashy blonde. No more yellow roots! Now my hair matches and is a lovely beige blonde with lighter highlights. I could not be more pleased. I will be using this to refresh my colour instead of dying it all the time. Why did I not utilize this little miracle worker sooner I will never know. So Recommended!

Video Reviews & Tutorials