Wella Color Charm Demi-Permanent Hair Color

4.3

WATER, BEESWAX, SODIUM COCOYL ISETHIONATE, FRAGRANCE, TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE, SODIUM SULFITE, ASCORBIC ACID, RESORCINOL, ETIDRONIC ACID, HYDROLYZED KERATIN, 2-METHYLRESORCINOL, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, LIMONENE, M-AMINOPHENOL, COUMARIN, TOCOPHEROL, ETHANOLAMINE, LAURETH-3, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE SE, SODIUM SULFATE, LANOLIN ALCOHOLS, SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE

on 6/28/2015 10:02:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about this stuff running dark! I picked a color barely one shade darker than my natural hair (Light Medium Brown) and the result was a very deep rich brown, which is what I was hoping for. On the Sally employee's advice I used a 6% developer; she told me to leave the mixture on for 45 minutes or so, but I noticed how dark the color was becoming after barely 30 minutes and rinsed.

I noticed an odd floral+eucalyptus smell, but I don't know what was the scent of the dye and what was the scent of the developer. There was no stinging or burning, although I never experienced either when I used to use box dye many years ago. The texture of my (very short) hair is definitely dryer and coarser; I'm not sure how much of a point there is in me worrying about it. I have washed my hair twice with no fading that I've noticed.

As for the color, it's a little cooler than I had hoped but obviously that's a result of the color I picked. It might grow on me or I might try for a warmer color of similar darkness next time. I also dyed my eyebrows and it took nicely.

on 3/15/2015 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have had one hellacious nightmare of a time following the removal of henna. WAIT! before you continue scrolling thinking that this review isn't applicable to you, READ ON (if you just want the Wella info, scroll towards the last couple paragraphs lol)

SO, after two bleach washes, one full on bleaching, and failing miserably with 2 Wella toners (t18 and t14) My hair basically remained the same shit shade of yellow/orange. The toners not working was my own fault because I hadn't, and couldn't, bleach my hair any lighter.

Okay, so I made the mistake of trying to do my own bayalage, darkening my roots only (which were the most vibrant shade of yellow) and though I wouldn't be outcasted by society by the result, I still didn't like it.
So, I color stripped with dawn dish soap and baking soda and was left with a more even shade of yorange (a hideous marriage between two hideous colors)

SO I went to Sally's and knew a demi would do the trick but opted for Ion since I'd used it before. Well. I don't know which is worse, it coming out too dark (as demi's tend to) or not coming out at all. WHICH IS WHAT HAPPENED. literally, no color deposit. with a 10v.
I was in awe.

So. failing at every step of the way. I went back to Sally's and bought Wella demi's in 9NA and 8N (light ash blonde and neutral light blonde) 4.99 ea but were BOGO at the time, i bought the wella demi developer and left with nothing but hope to keep me going.
I mixed the product, added a couple drops of Ardell Red/Gold corrector (99c per packet at sallys) and applied.

legit, 25 mins later (directions say 20, I wanted to be sure) I rinsed, applied the Ion Color Sealer (4.49/ tube) and my hair was the loveliest shade of light golden brown with hints of strawberry blonde. NO LIE, nearest to my actual hair color (at least what I can remember from like 10 yrs ago). It's perfect. Shiny, and no damage.

The only cons are that you can't use a any 10v developer with their demi shades, you have to buy theirs. the smell of the dye is nothing as pleasant as Ions. the dye is very runny but if you have a tint brush youre okay.

ALL IN ALL:
great buy, sosososo glad I didn't give up and gave Wella a shot. Ion, you suck.

on 11/22/2014 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

It does look very dark at first but it fades. I dyed my hair too blonde & I looked terrible. I used dark ash blonde & it helped. I did look a little green the first day or so but by day 3 it looked perfect. It cut to brass that's for sure. Use as directed & deep condition.

on 9/23/2014 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This review is for 7 medium ash blonde and Natural Ash blonde. As everyone has staed they run dark. I am not blonde anymore because of trying to neutralize some brassy highlights. I only left this stuff on for 5 minutes and it still came out very dark. Dissapointed. I should have went with a light ash but on the swatch it seemed too pale.
None too pleased.

on 7/25/2014 6:48:00 PM

I have about 50% gray and I choose demi-permanent color because it looks more natural. The grays end up a little lighter than the rest of the hair, and I like that a lot better than the all-one-tone color I got with permanent dye.

I like Color Charm much better than Ion because it leaves my hair smooth and glossy, and the color lasts longer. My stylist has used Aveda demi on me, and it fades ridiculously fast -- Wella is way better.

My hair is level 5, and as I mentioned, the Color Charm 5 doesn't bring the white hairs quite up to level 5. I suggest starting with the tone you want to achieve, and then go darker the next time if the color isn't deep enough. Or you could cover your hair with plastic wrap after applying the color, and warm your hair with a hair dryer while the plastic wrap is on.

Color Charm is still behind L'Oreal Dia Richesse for lasting color and great shine. But Richesse is not easy for me to get, and Color Charm is available at Sally's. It's more expensive than Ion, but I get my money's worth. I don't mind the fragrance at all. It's not drippy

I think you could save some money by using a cheaper developer, but I'm scare to try that!

on 7/16/2014 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am somewhat conflicted on this particular product. On the one hand, I love the shade choices and ease of application, but cannot say it has taken HG status away from Clairol Radiance Color Gloss.

Though I do love my Clairol Radiance, I read how much better the grey coverage is with Wella and there are about three times as many shades of color to choose from. So while I am totally pleased with the resulting color, my hair is not in as good of shape three weeks after coloring as with Clairol and greys are popping back up (mostly because for some reason my grey hair grows in incredibly quickly, perhaps because it's around my face).

I used medium, ash blonde to achieve a light, cool brown. Even going two shades lighter than what I wanted, it still was a tad too dark at first. After the first wash, I got the color I was after. I used a one to one ratio of the matching developer with a full tube of color (2 oz. color, 2 oz. developer). I was little worried when the resulting mixture did not turn dark right away but I plowed ahead anyway. I used a bottle applicator and left on for 15 minutes. Rinsing out was super easy and I didn't lose a ton of hair in the process. I used my Feria color conditioner after, leaving on for a good ten minutes.

The results are pretty good, but not any better than what I was getting before from Clairol. The only reason I may try this again is because I prefer Wella's shade options, but maybe next time I'll add a little clear (if they make it) to get a glossier result. The fade out is very good and there's not a hint of brass to be seen. For around $6 at Sally's for the color and developer, this is a great deal too!

on 6/22/2014 3:19:00 PM

I use wella 6N each time I dye my hair brown. I leave it on for 10 minutes, any longer and it would be too dark. remember with hair dyes when you out color on color to do a test of color after 10 minutes then, 2-5 minutes. I an pleased with this color, and is my go to. I love dying my hair red, then adding this overtop. it always gives me an amazing color.

on 2/21/2014 1:17:00 AM

This saved my hair and I am very grateful to it! I used a Natural light blonde dye instead of my usual ash blond and bam it was yellow brass city! I was thinking I would have to colour my hair over because purple toner alone wouldn't cut it. So I go to my local Sally's and said I needed to tone down my hair and the SA showed me the Wella Color Charm. I believe it was 9A but the colour name was pale ash blonde. I also picked up the 20 volume developer and Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo.

I mix this up and apply to my roots only. The dye turned my hair purple on top and I was hoping my hair wouldn't stain. Well, it didn't leave a lavender tinge it turned a lovely ashy blonde. No more yellow roots! Now my hair matches and is a lovely beige blonde with lighter highlights. I could not be more pleased. I will be using this to refresh my colour instead of dying it all the time. Why did I not utilize this little miracle worker sooner I will never know. So Recommended!

on 1/30/2014 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Okay my experience has been slightly different from everyone else's so I'm going to write a review just in the slight chance that it might help someone else who has similiar hair as me.

My hair is thick Asian hair and it is a very dark black-brown color. I got it "ombre-d" at a salon and although the ombre was gorgeous, the color was way too warm for my liking- goldish orange color. I was going to just go back and get it toned, but I didn't want to spend even more money so I was looking for a cheap and quick alternative. So I turned to Wella Color Charm!

I read reviews before deciding on what color to get and I decided to get Light Ash Blonde and Medium Ash Blonde, just in case the Light Ash was too light for my liking, even though everyone said to get a shade or two lighter than what you wanted. Personally, I would have liked to go darker so when it fades, it'll be a nice medium shade.

I bought the Activating Lotion and did 1:1 with the Light Ash first and lo and behold, it toned the brassiness in my hair and made it a bit darker, but not by much. So, I started from scratch and did the same thing, but with the Medium Ash instead and then it took away the brassiness and made it darker! In the end, my hair is a nice natural, slightly ash brown color and it looks and feels amazing. I didn't mind the smell at all, it wasn't a big deal to me.

The only con is that it did leave a weird film/ coating on my hair but it went away the next day, so it's not a big deal. So those of you who have brassiness and are looking for something to neutralize it, then definitely get the light/ medium ash! I was scared because it's for blondes, but it's fine!

Oh, I also wish they had a Dark Ash Blonde because I could have gone slightly darker. That's my only gripe.

Overall, I love it and my hair feels SO SOFT, I was so surprised! I'm definitely going to continue buying this when my hair starts to become brassy overtime, although I hope that's not anytime soon!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Started highlighting my level 5 or 6 brown hair last spring and liked being blond but decided to go back to brunette again this past fall because my stylist was moving and I didn't want to chance having someone else take over my highlights. Had my hair dyed a dark warm brown with very subtle red tones, loved it. My stylist gave me a recipe for recreating the color in the event I needed to do it again, but she forgot to mention and I forgot to ask, what brand she used.

A few months later the highlighted part of my hair had faded a lot more than the regrowth and I decided to dye my own hair using well c.c. I went with the 2:1 developer to color ratio as stated on the box even though the recipe I had used a 1:1. I used 2oz 6G + 2oz 8N + 8oz developer. The color came out great. Not the same color results as when my stylist did it, it was lighter and much less red, but it was a nice warm golden brown, and my highlights were well covered.

Jump forward 2 weeks and while I was happy with the color I was beginning to see the highlights coming through and in some light they had a very, very slight tinge of green under the golden brown. I asked my bf if he saw any green and he didn't, but that was in sunlight, and he's a man… So, wanting to try to replicate the color from my salon visit while giving my highlights a better disguise I tried again using a 1.3:1 of 1oz 6G + 1oz 8N + 1/4oz 7WG + 3oz developer.

Before coloring I used a neutral protein filler to see if it would help minimize color loss from the highlighted portions, especially one spot on the left side of my head that won't hold color very well. The results are much closer to my desired shade, darker warm golden brown with more red. Still not an exact match but I'm happy with the highlight coverage and the color. I can't say if the protein filler helped with color uptake but it did make application harder because my hair was crunchy and tangly from all the protein. Anywho, next time I'll probably use more of the 7WG so it'll be close to an even mix of the three colors and may come out a bit darker.

The dye+developer mixture didn't damage my hair at all but I wouldn't say it improved the condition either. The smell is extremely mild. More mild than some shampoo/conditioner brands I've tried and returned in the past. In the 2:1 the consistency is thin and application can be messy. In the 1.3:1 it was a little thicker but I still had some drips onto the floor and into the sink. Rinsing is easy and after conditioning there is no discernible chemical smell left lingering in my hair. I plan to use this line of hair color for the foreseeable future and would recommend it based on price, results, ease of use, availability, and versatility.

Most recently used a mix of equal parts 6G + 8N + 7WG and it's the best color yet but still not quite right. Going to do a side by side strand test and try a equal mix of 8N + 5G vs 8N + 6W to see if I can get a better match.

Video Reviews & Tutorials