September 20, 2014 | 1838 users online

Moisturizers - Elizabeth Arden - First Defense

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2014 4:31:00 AM More reviews by Coraldc

This product was overall a bit "meh" for me. I purchased the cream, which is the version suited to dry skin types (there is also a lotion, which is the version for oily skin types). It has SPF 15. I purchased this from www.strawberrynet.com for $23 (New Zealand dollars). It was on special, marked down from $45.50

PROS:
- The packaging is gorgeous - the cream version comes in a little pottle
- I have sensitive skin, and this product did not cause any reaction on me
- It doesn't have a fragrance, which can be quite nice as some products can become too strong after you've been using them for a while
- It was a good price on special, but I probably wouldn't have considered buying it for the full price

CONS:
- This product doesn't feel moisturising enough for me
- It doesn't feel like it absorbs into my skin properly, it's like it sits in a greasy layer on top of the skin after application. Even when I applied it before bed, the next morning I woke up and had a shower and I could feel the greasy layer of product washing off, so it didn't even absorb when it had all night to do it's thing
- It has a thick consistency which to me feels a bit unpleasant when applied - as a personal preference I like my moisturisers to be a little bit thinner so they can be smoothed over the skin more easily

I would not re-purchase or recommend this product to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2012 4:53:00 AM More reviews by fpih

I have been using the cream that's suited for dry & normal skin with great success for over 3 months now, so I recently ordered the lotion that's better suited to combination/oily skin now that summer is almost here. We'll see how that goes!

I have very sensitive skin that's dry in the winter and prone to redness & itchiness but turns to combination/oily when the weather turns warmer. I'm allergic to AHA and I still don't know what else, but natural/biological products almost always end up giving me a break out so I had to stop them completely. The First Defense cream not only didn't irritate my skin, but managed to calm it down when I had the stupid idea to use Clinique's Turn Around Serum on my face one night and woke up with my whole face red and itching and a sandpapery feeling the next morning!

My face is well hydrated, which isn't the case with all creams as some are too light for me in the colder months and I have to reapply in the day. It didn't create any bumps or red patches and didn't leave my face shiny as is the case with some SPF products. Even now that the weather is quite hot, this is only just a touch more shiny than I'd like, but in no means oily. I hope the lotion will correct this small problem, because I don't feel like straying from this product any time soon as my skin feels healthier than ever!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2008 8:56:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

This is a decent moisturizr that glides on smoothly with no effort and makes a lovely makeup base for my Vichy Dermablend which tends to drag when there is not enough slip. I received this as a sample, and enjoyed it, however, would never use a sunscreen of less than 30 and for that reason would not likely purchase. The scent is citrusy and pleasant in my opinion.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2007 4:43:00 AM More reviews by littlelamb

I have 2 sample jars of this, and though I tried to commit myself to using it daily (the 2 jars should last over a month), I really cannot force myself to continue. The idea is appealing - first defense for skin, with good SPF. However, I just cannot bring myself to tolerate the potent fragrance. The fragrance itself isn't offensive if it were a perfume (smells citrusy), but it really is difficult to tolerate when you have to put it on your face daily. And it doesn't disappear quickly. Skincare really does only need the tiniest touch of fragrance, if at all, and even then it should only last the brief 10 seconds that you spend spreading it onto your skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2007 6:27:00 PM More reviews by DOLL101

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have extremely dry, senstive skin... In the begining this product made me look glowy, but then later I started having little bumps... This is the absolute worse moustrizer ever. What a waste

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2005 5:12:00 PM More reviews by pelikandaughter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really like this moisturizer. I was looking for some help at the Shiseido counter and no one was around, and this SA swooped down on me from the Elizabeth Arden counter to help. She didn't seem to know much about her own line, let alone Shiseido, but I tried this anyway. It smells absolutely wonderful and my combination skin feels baby-smooth and clear - it hasn't caused extra oil on my T-Zone but it has soothed the dry patches - a balancing feat, which is why I think it's worth the price and I'm giving a five - I'm all about finding one really good product for my whole face during the day time - you won't catch me messing around with oil-control lotions or separate sunscreens.

P.S. I have the lotion in a bottle, not the jar of cream.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2004 6:10:00 PM More reviews by g_82

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got the cream version which is more suitable for my dry skin. The scent is absolutely adorable, kind of citrus, similar to Origins Have a Nice Day.Sweet!
Put it on and after 15 mins, you'll have the soft skin you dream about. But I still prefer to reapply in the afternoon since it is not nourishing enough for me. My only complaint is the unhygienic jar packaging. I can't see the effect of all those anti-oxidant immediately, but it's a long-term thing right? Skincare is all about prevention!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2004 4:50:00 PM More reviews by M_Dietrich

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First defence advanced antioxidant lotion is really a great moisturizer with SPF 15. It has a wonderful citrussy smell and it doesnt feel greasy when you have applied it. I would recommend this to everyone who wants to protect the skin from everyday stress and harmful synrays.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2004 6:24:00 AM More reviews by nikua

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

***UPDATE 10-19-04***

What a pity, I experienced the same as other reviewers with this one: Awesome effect at the beginning, but it began to make my skin more oily. Too bad, I was loving this one.

I'm talking about the lotion in the pump dispenser (there's also a cream in a jar).

Very nice lightweight protective moisturizer. Smells divine (faints of citrus) and sinks in quickly. Contains SPF 15 and loads of antioxidants.

I have tried so much to get my skin under control - everytime I'm under pressure and stress my skin literally freaks out. This helps a lot to calm it down and keep it that way. I'm using a 30 ml promo bottle because I smashed my beloved Avon Anew Biologie+ on the tiled floor of my bathroom and First Defense actually serves the same purpose: Moisture, SPF 15, antioxidants = prevent skin from premature aging.

I'm unsure whether I will stick to this or go back to Avon. First Defense smells way better and I like the texture more. On the other hand, Biologie+ does the same and isn't as much money as First Defense.

So, until I've made up my mind, I'll use First Defense. Hmm... I think I'll just rotate... one bottle of First Defense followed by one bottle of Biologie+ followed by one bottle of First Defense, you get the picture. So my skin won't get used to them and I can use both of them and don't have to decide :). continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2004 5:40:00 PM More reviews by xTinax

I'm at the end of my first bottle of this and although I'm not raving about it, I have a feeling I'll be coming back. I have extremely sensitive, rosacea-prone, dry-combo skinwhich hates any products containing harsh ingredients such as AHA/BHA, retinol (worst) etc. This kept my skin protected, I also liked the smell (fresh) and packaging (pump), and the fact that this is a preventer (I'm 24, no lines yet). I took off a lippie because I didn't like the texture - It was a bit too oily in the summer, when I started using it, and not quite moisturizing enough now in winter. I won't be buying this soon since I want to try some soothing sensitive skin type moisturizers first, but so far this is the best preventing/sunscreen product I've tried and ... I feel I will be coming back to this.