April 20, 2014 | 1617 users online

Top/Base Coats - New York Color - Extra Shiny Top Coat

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 8/31/2013 4:12:00 PM More reviews by dbc202

So I got this because it was cheap and I was in need of a top coat. It doesn't really do that great of a job as a top coat but it does protect it somewhat. I like how it makes the nails look after applying it and there is a good amount of polish for the price you pay for it which is amazing must I add. Although it doesn't do the best job as a top coat it doesn't do the worst either.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2013 11:41:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I'm spoiled by super fast top coats now. Alas, there is no going back. This is a more old fashioned kind we just used to call "clear nail polish," back in the day when doing your nails meant alloting half of that day immobized so the dang stuff would finally dry.

But this still serves a purpose. I like to use it to thin out too goopy thick polishes. It leaves the polish less opaque, more like a "jelly" type look.

Works well for that since its cheap and easy to find

rated 1 of 5 on 3/11/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by hbroadwayphann

This is horrible. Top coats are supposed to seal and protect nail polish, but this causes my nails to chip far more than what they do without any topcoat.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2013 7:37:00 AM More reviews by itsAmybby

Worst top coat I've ever tried.. It bubbles up during application and takes literally 3-4 hours to try completely.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2013 10:56:00 PM More reviews by katrinacg3

So I bought this because, i wanted a top coat that would help make my nailpolish last longer, but nothing to expensive because i don;t really care about my nails (weird since i like them to be painted all the time)

BUT ANYWAYS OVERALL:
First time I used this, i thought i loved it, because I didn;t notice any cracks in my nails and it lasted about a week without chipping.

Second time i used this there was some cracks in it, still lasted long

Third time i used it, terrible! cracks, it chipped easily, etc

so i was thinking, why was it that, the first time it was perfect? but the other times it began to crack and chip. And thats when i noticed it was because how I applied it.

The best way to apply this is if you are using two coats of nail polish, wait till it is COMPLETELY DRY and then apply it.

I gave it 3 because well...its shiny, inexpensive, and if you apply it right, it will be useful.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/9/2013 3:47:00 AM More reviews by ohsailor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I could summarise this top coat in one word: AWFUL.

It applied perfectly fine for me and looked lovely until the next morning when I put on my gloves and bits of my (lovingly applied) nail polish started falling off just as I was leaving for work.

It has also left hairline cracks in the polish and my nails now look a mess.

It would probably be better not to use any top coat than this one. It's a waste of money.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/6/2012 1:52:00 PM More reviews by maysamaidibi

hate this topcoatt...its so stringy and goopy and thick and takes forever to dry and when it finally does dry, it chips right away... it is super shiny though.. thats why i gave it 2 lipsies

rated 2 of 5 on 10/29/2012 10:14:00 AM More reviews by MeganElizabeth2012

When I first put this on I thought I would really like it; sure, it makes your nails look super shiny but after a day or so I noticed that my nail polish was cracking. Threw this out right after I noticed it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2012 10:25:00 AM More reviews by CordulaM

I thought this was a steal. I don't *usually* do my nails, and when I do they always chip anyway because of doing the dishes and everything else, so I didn't think this caused chipping any more than I would without. I think it's really shiny and cheap and dries fast. For me, that's good enough. (I didn't get any cracks.) I suppose if I really do my nails more often that a better top coat would be worth it, if it really keeps polish on, but I feel that's an impossible task and definitely not worth tons of money to try to achieve. So for me, for now, this works.

Update: I had since bought Setche Vite and use this for my kids manicures. I can't even paint my nails anyway. They just break. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2012 12:47:00 PM More reviews by karmaintheflesh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this when the WalMart I visited did not carry my NutraNail top coat that I normally swear and since it was only like $0.93 I figured I wouldn't have anything to lose. I will say the first manicure I did with this product, I did see the hairline cracks and ridges after about an hour and was extremely disappointed. However, while reading reviews o found that most people who used it and actually like it, usee this product in conjunction with drying oil. I decided to try it with my Sally Hansen Insta-Dry oil and it worked great! I just applied the topmcoat, waited for 1 minute and brushed the oil on. No ridges, no cracks. It leaves a beautiful shine and dries very fast and hard. The bubbles people are mentioning are either from shaking polish excessively or applying thick goopy layers and not letting them dry.