April 18, 2014 | 1861 users online

Makeup Brushes - Shu Uemura - 5F Sable Eyeliner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by bernsie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My brush is quite old ('95) and is numbered 6 0B, though it is badger. It was at the time the DEFINITVE slanted eyeliner brush for powder or liqid (gel.) The hairs are VERY short and just SLIGHTLY angled. It's medium to firm so it holds powder shadow for eyelining w/out fallout and for exreme deposit. This is THE BEST eyelining brush period. It was always even better than MAC's original #22 made in France brush (which is now #266 made in Japan and not nearly as good as the #22.) I don't know what it cost now, but I know it was rather expensive in 1995 when I first purchased it. To this day it looks and performs as well as it did in 1995. Now that's saying something mighty fantastic about the QUALITY of this product. If you don't have one GET one as you won't believe the way your eyeliner looks and wears. I know they sell Shu Uemura at Nieman Marcus's. I believe that is where I got mine from. THE BEST BRUSH MADE FOR THE PURPOSE OF EYELINING!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2011 12:17:00 PM More reviews by sherbyham

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

The size is perfect and so far, its best gel eyeliner brush for me

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2011 5:41:00 PM More reviews by sunshineeBABY

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my first eyeliner brush (I use it with the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliners) & I absolutely love it ! It makes my eyeliner very clean & precise. It also works really well getting to the spaces in between my eyelashes.

One thing I`ve noticed though, is that the eyeliner stains my brush a little bit. It`s hard to get the pigmentation off even after washing my brush with cleansers/oils/soaps etc. But maybe thats the gel eyeliners fault (:

I got it as a gift so I can`t comment on the price. Technically I won`t be buying this product again -- because I`m pretty sure this brush can last for a looong time unless I lose it or something, but I just wanted to give it a great review !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2011 4:27:00 PM More reviews by chiggy5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this brush for applying shadow in the upper and sometimes lower lashline. I use my Chanel #4 (which is stiffer) for smudging/working my eyeliner into my lashline and use this 5f brush for applying shadow over it or sometimes just the shadow in my lashline. This brush gives a more precise smudge whereas my Nars 15 is too fat and gives a wide smudge. It retails for $24.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2011 3:05:00 AM More reviews by cathekim

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Awesome brush! It works so well with gel eyeliners. It gives you a really thin line. I must say, you do need some expertise to draw a good line because the line you produce is so thin. I have had to get less sloppy and concentrate more... Otherwise you end up with wobbly lines. Soft, well constructed brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2009 6:21:00 AM More reviews by mstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wish I could give the 5F sable brush 10 lipsticks...this is the ONLY eyeliner brush you'll ever need. I've been using it exclusively for about 10 years, and I have yet to come across an eyelining effect that it can't create; this brush is versatility defined.

Like all Shu Uemura brushes, the quality is impeccable, and the design is sleek. The bristles are fine sable, and the handle is lightweight and comfortable. After using the 5F, I turn my nose up at push eye liner brushes...they can't even begin to compare. Buy this brush!!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2009 11:42:00 PM More reviews by StormyApple

A really great brush, my current favourite. I always use MAC 212 to apply/smudge my gel eyeliners on, and then billy b paint brush TEN for a precise "tail", after which I would use powder to set and further smudge the dark colors close to my lashline and upwards.

Before I got this brush, I've been using my Shu Uemura 60B (meant for eyebrow) for the above last step with powder, but it's juz too scratchy. I tried MAC 266 (too thin), NARS smudge brush (too big, I'm tiny Asian with tiny eyes), MAC 231 (doesn't pick up enough powder, I have to repeat the step too many times) and the list goes on.

I was watching TV the other day and saw this Japanese makeup artist applying a beautiful smokey yet thin line on the lower lashline of the model using a rectangular-shaped-head brush and that gave me the idea to hunt around for similar brushes.

Boom! Found this Shu Uemura natural brush 5f (do take note, I almost bought the wrong one coz I juz said "5f" and the lady gave me the synthetic one initially) and it gave me the exact results I was after: a gorgeous thin(not VERY thin) natural smokey line, for smudging ur liner above or the under lashline with powder. It's perfect.

I can't imagine applying my everyday eye makeup with it. At S$33, it's totally worth the purchase^^

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2009 11:00:00 PM More reviews by ilasik

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my staple brush to line my eyes (love it with the Trish eye definer). It was jammed in a makeup bag years ago causing it to bend slightly which actually improved its function by creating a wonderful little angle. Nothing works better for a precise line

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2008 2:52:00 PM More reviews by curlygirl45

I'm always on the hunt for brushes and I really like this one for gel eyeliners - does work well for pencil and liquid also. Just the perfect width for my little-lid eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2006 8:58:00 PM More reviews by Jenabill

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

GREAT brush. I was having difficulty managing the MAC gel liners. This brush makes it soooo easy. I gave it a 4 for price because I EBAYed it, I think its more pricey in stores.