August 21, 2014 | 1985 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Tweezerman - Blackhead/Blemish Extractor

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2014 10:37:00 PM More reviews by jennamarie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ok I have had some pretty sad adult acne now for over 3 years I sadly didn't find this until this year. This will save your skin from scars if you use it correctly because if you are just pinching blemishes with your fingers your nails will take off a small layer of skin whereas this just helps extract it with little to none damage to the skin - use it on blemishes that are close to the surface ( anything deep you may just push further into your pore) ... This is a definite necessity for those with moderate acne

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 12:45:00 AM More reviews by xazzie

I have had not so great acne (read: I have to wear a full face of makeup each day to not look red with acne scars and active blemishes) for going on 16 years now, even into adulthood. I cannot believe that all the dermatologists I went to and friends that I consulted about my acne through the years never mentioned this kind of tool! I would have learned from a facialist I guess, but I spent my whole life being afraid that spa products and hands all over my face would break me out so I avoided them. I feel totally betrayed and like I missed out on many years of better controlling my breakouts with an extractor!

Anyway, the point is that this thing works for clearing open comedones. And I am now addicted to it.

For the first week, I went to town on my face every day. That was a rewarding experience in that I got so much gunk out of my skin that had been festering there for so many years. I had tried tons of salicylic acid washes and the like, but there was a lot left to extract. Pore after pore yielded stringy sebum filaments and once-stubborn blackheads.

After that, I went into maintenance mode. I use the Tweezerman extractor probably 3 times per week after a hot, steamy shower. I use a washcloth with hot water on it to additionally warm up my face after the shower. Then I gently press with the extractor on heavy pore areas like the nose and on problem pore areas in other parts of my T-zone. For the open pores, this thing is very effective and gets them nice and clean. But for the closed comedones or small little under skin bumps, I only have occasional success. You're not supposed to push too hard on those, but occasionally I find one that has been exfoliated enough that it responds to gentle pressure. Whenever I get those, I know that I am preventing a future blemish which is such a happy feeling.

Overall, I'm now using this to control apparent pore size on my nose and to do preventative care on my pores to fight breakouts. It's not a miracle worker and I'm not 100% clear, but my face is visibly cleaner. All of those sebum plugs are now kept much more under control and some of the more irregularly sized pores are closing up and blending in again. It's a great discovery. And I'm only sorry it took me so long to figure this out.

The price could be cheaper, definitely. I lucked out and bought a few generic (but absolutely high quality, stainless steel replicas) of the Tweezerman product while in China. They work like a charm in exactly the same way as the original and only cost me $2 each.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2013 12:11:00 PM More reviews by rainydays1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This is terrible for your skin!! Ugh. I watched a youtube video showing how to use this to make sure that I wouldn't severely damage my skin and after gently, GENTLY, applying a heated washcloth to my skin and then GENTLY applying pressure with the extractor, BARELY anything came out and my skin looked red and SO IRRITATED 24 hours after using it! For $11 at Rite-Aid, this is going back!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by KittyKat226

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First off, when use using any tool like this it is a good idea to get yourself a good magnifying mirror. Mine is 12X. The amount of stuff I get out of my pores with this thing is amazing, because with the mirror I can actually see what's coming out. This tool works better than any cheap one I have bought too, perhaps because of the shape. I am lucky that you can't see my blackheads if you met me, but you can sure see them with this mirror. This tool gets rid of them and I don't even have to press very hard. Then again, I have never used a tweezerman product that has not been great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2013 11:06:00 AM More reviews by bigsvig

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had tried one of these a decade ago and never got the hang of it. My blackheads have steadily gotten worse and I used to (carefully) squeeze them with my fingers. I saw one of these on a clearance rack and decided to give it another try. With a little practice and a magnifying mirror, I got the hang of it and am astounded at the number of smaller blackheads I can now get with little or no evidence of redness to my skin. It's like a miracle! I just wish I had been more patient 10 years ago continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by ahtnamas

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product caused my small blackheads to turn in to big red raging spots! i am never using it again, i have chucked it in the bin. Do not buy it! such a waste of money. I was so excited for it, thinking that finally i would have better skin, but how wrong was I! Very disappointing.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2012 11:05:00 PM More reviews by luckycat328

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Got it at Target for about 20 bucks and also purchased a good magnifying mirror. I think that is the key because with the magnifying mirror you can really see where even the smallest blackheads are, and surprisingly, sometimes those small ones produce the most gunk. Good light is really important as well. I prefer natural light from sitting near a window, like one of the other reviewers said.
So, (just like all the other reviews) the biggest tip I can think of for using this...**always clean the tool with alcohol before and after** and as the sebum begins to come out onto the tool, I wipe it away with a paper towel and dip the tool in alcohol again as not to contaminate other pores. The last thing you want to do is infect a pore that you just forced open that may be a little damaged. Sometimes, I will wipe a little alcohol over the area after I've just cleaned to make sure no residual gunk is left behind.
Start slow and be patient. Like everyone says, best time for me has been after a shower when skin is clean and pliable. I think this type of thing would be very bad for dry skin because it seems like it would damage it.
If you spot a larger blackhead, try it on that at first to get an idea of how your skin reacts. If nothing comes out, try a different angle. Sometimes going at it from a downward or upward angle will make the blackhead just pop right out. Sometimes I put the loop thing right over it and it comes out, but sometimes all the little pores around it start to pop instead, particularly on my nose.
I have to press pretty hard on some areas, and my skin will be red for about 15 minutes, but if for some reason you have tried a few different angles and nothing is happening, give up. If it's not time for it to come out, then you will just make it worse, Come back to it a few days later and try again and it most likely will work. I usually do the process every 2 weeks.
I've used this for the past few months and my cousin said she noticed a difference in my skin. I feel like I have less blemishes in general because of it.
I've gotten one or two infected type pimples right after using it, but that's nothing compared to the amount of pores its cleaned and opened.
Just keep the tool as clean as possible and be patient. It's terrific once you get the hang of it!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by magentaray

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am not into salon/spa facials, prefer to do it all myself, and this extractor is awesome. I exfoliate, steam, and then use this. Very effective at getting pores clean.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2011 4:40:00 PM More reviews by esmeralda1977

I really like this little instrument because it helped me to reduce the huge amount of tiny little blackheads on my nose. Even my husband noticed immediately how clean my nose looked.
Here is how I used it: First of all I take a really long shower or hot bath to open up the pores and use an aspirin and honey mask on my face while I'm sitting in the bathtub for about 20 Min. Then I wash my face and step out of the bathroom to sit close to the window so I have very good light to see exactly where the blackheads are "sitting". The next step is to disinfect the tool with alcohol and to slightly press it over the affected arreas. Because the aspirin has opened up the pores so well the gunk easily comes out. As a result my pores are clean and only a little redness can be seen. I definitely recommend to take a long shower and use an aspirin mask beforehand because once I tried it without doing so and I ended up with no results but red skin.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2011 7:54:00 AM More reviews by nesslee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

i think it is misleading information to say that this tool is used for whiteheads because whiteheads are also known as closed comedones (skin color). actually, this tool can be used only for open comedones (with white or black head showing off) and i find it great for that. so i dont use anymore my hands to squeeze such a pimple. as opposite to what you do with hands, this tool does not damage the skin, and cleans out completely the pore. however, it does not work on blackheads for me. i use it only for pimpels which show off a white head and that does not happen very often