October 23, 2014 | 1955 users online

Top/Base Coats - OPI - Natural Nail Base Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2014 1:17:00 AM More reviews by Rocklover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this base coat. The large brush makes it easy to apply in 1-2 swipes and it protects my nails from staining. I'm surprised to hear others have had problems with staining, not sure why? I ran put of this recently and bought the orly base coat because the shops had run out of the opi one... It's pretty good too but I still prefer my opi.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/3/2014 3:07:00 AM More reviews by ncranney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Terrible, terrible base coat. This does not protect your nails from staining; I used a tangerine polish over literally three coats of this and my nails were still stained orange from it. It does not adhere polish to the nail the way a base coat should either; no matter the quality of my polish, everything would peel off after a day. Don't waste your money on this.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2014 3:19:00 PM More reviews by misscocktail

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Very good, does what it supposed to be doing. Keeps my mani in great condition and prolongs the wear of my polish. I put it to the test with Chanel Rouge Noir, which is notorious for staining your nails. It did protect them! That's all I need to know!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2014 7:33:00 AM More reviews by iLoveYoutwo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't think I will ever use this again, this always stains my nails an ugly yellow or orange. I tried another brand and after I removed a dark gray (almost black) nail polish, 0 staining!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2014 10:59:00 PM More reviews by jamiehaneul

Without nail polish on top, this base coat chips much easier than I'd like it to.. It lasts a few days on some of my nails, on others it chips the next day. With nail polish, it bubbles underneath only after two or three days. :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2014 12:16:00 AM More reviews by Jexka

This is a pretty good base coat. I think it does what a base coat should -- it prolongs the wear of my polish and it helps prevent staining. But even though I've used up a few bottles of this, I'm now finding other base coats that perform better than this one.
I like the wide brush on this -- it makes it really easy to apply. The product isn't too thick or too thin, but I will mention that once I get maybe 3/4 of the way through the bottle, this tends to start to thicken, making it harder to apply, and the product will start bubbling on my nails, which is the last thing I want my base coat to do. A polish thinner might fix that, but I don't have one so I couldn't tell you. This dries to a semi-matte finish, and while I typically prefer base coats to be more matte because I feel like polish grips to them better, this one is fine. It isn't completely matte, but it isn't slick and slippery either, so polish does grab to it pretty well. I found that this doesn't completely prevent staining, but I get far less staining of my nails than when I don't use a base at all.
One issue I have with this is that for some reason the handle tends to separate from the brush. I'll untwist the black cap and the cap will come off but it will be detached from the little stump that holds the brush. It's hard to explain, but I've had this happen with more than one bottle of this. I have to superglue the cap back onto the brush, which is kind of a pain. It's weird that I've only had this happen with this product and no other OPI polishes.
Overall this isn't a bad product at all, but I just think there are better bases out there. Ulta does a lot of deals where if you buy 2 OPI polishes you can get a free base coat or top coat, so you can get a really good deal on this. I'd recommend watching for sales like this and then trying this out.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/7/2014 9:14:00 PM More reviews by sassybaby

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow, I wish I had checked MUA for reviews on this beforehand. Terrible base coat. I had a beautiful manicure but within 2-3 days, it started chipping and peeling horribly! I had high hopes for this due to its brand but it was a fail. There are better options out there.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by Sambalina82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is not a good basecoat if you were looking to fill ridges or smooth your nails out, its far too thin for that. Haven't noticed any manicure benefits from using this. Would not use again.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2013 7:44:00 PM More reviews by AYuKitty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this base coat. It prevents staining, my nails look as if I have never painted them even if I used dark colours or paint them a lot (I haven't gone without nail colour in almost a year). I have no issues with chipping. I also like the fact that it gives my nails a pink-ish tint at first because then I know if I covered my whole nails. I also like that it's fast drying and the brush applies evenly in one or two strokes. I definitely recommend this one.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by puffle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Hate it. It's absolutely terrible. I gave it two lippies since it does prevent staining and dries very quickly, but IT MAKES MY NAIL POLISH PEEL OFF. Within a DAY, it will start to lift off at the ends and PEEL. It just comes right off. My nail polish last longer WITHOUT this base coat. It was from opi, so i definately expected better. Will NOT repurchase

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No